C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Carplay/Android Auto without Nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:45 AM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Apple Carplay/Android Auto without Nav

Good day everyone. I am in the process of buying a 2016 Z06. I wanted to ask, if I were to pickup a 2LZ without navigation, would I still be able to use Apple Carplay/Android Auto navigation (Google Maps or Apple Maps)?

I don't want to stock navigation but would reconsider if the above would not work.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:22 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mig1980
Good day everyone. I am in the process of buying a 2016 Z06. I wanted to ask, if I were to pickup a 2LZ without navigation, would I still be able to use Apple Carplay/Android Auto navigation (Google Maps or Apple Maps)?

I don't want to stock navigation but would reconsider if the above would not work.
Yes, Carplay and Android Auto are included without nav/PDR.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Makes me wonder how they will ever sell another in-car navigation system ever again. Luckily for GM (probably not luck) it was bundled with PDR. pdr is a feature people want, but next generation I doubt they will sell any navigation systems in the car.

The only advantage of the in-car one is that it projects on the HUD
Old 10-20-2016, 11:30 AM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
Makes me wonder how they will ever sell another in-car navigation system ever again. Luckily for GM (probably not luck) it was bundled with PDR. pdr is a feature people want, but next generation I doubt they will sell any navigation systems in the car.

loose cell coverage, loose gps
Old 10-20-2016, 11:36 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
loose cell coverage, loose gps
No, doesn't have to, your phone has gps, that does not need cell service. Now, you probably will need cell service to get maps at some point, I don't know how much google maps caches.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 PM
cam30era
Pro

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
No, doesn't have to, your phone has gps, that does not need cell service. Now, you probably will need cell service to get maps at some point, I don't know how much google maps caches.
It offers you the option to cache your entire route. There's a banner at the top of the (phone) screen on Google Maps, that offers to download the route if you expect to travel in an area with little or no cell service.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by cam30era
It offers you the option to cache your entire route. There's a banner at the top of the (phone) screen on Google Maps, that offers to download the route if you expect to travel in an area with little or no cell service.
Google added this last year after many years of user requests!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:09 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog

Car mfg's don't want to be in the infotainment business. The update life cycle is too hard to keep up with when it requires a trip to the dealer...if the hardware supports it. The built in infotainment/nav system still has an advantage in the corvette. With android auto the voice command button on the wheel does not activate it. You have to hit the microphone on the touchscreen. The wheel voice button still controls the gm infotainment/nav functions.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a lt1 package and a I phone 5. If I loose cell coverage while using google maps on apple car play, the map freezes until you recover cell coverage.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:37 AM
cam30era
Pro

Originally Posted by mustclime
I have a lt1 package and a I phone 5. If I loose cell coverage while using google maps on apple car play, the map freezes until you recover cell coverage.
See my post above about downloading the route before leaving home.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:36 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by cam30era
See my post above about downloading the route before leaving home.

​​​​​​Great tip Google has a lot of very useful hidden features in its apps. Google earth is a standalone app as well with cached map tiles.

If you don't have Nav you can always go the OnStar route you then get the route and turn by turn guidance right in your speedo in tour mode. Also in the HUD which I really like.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:34 PM
stanger383
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by falconhulk
Car mfg's don't want to be in the infotainment business. The update life cycle is too hard to keep up with when it requires a trip to the dealer...if the hardware supports it. The built in infotainment/nav system still has an advantage in the corvette. With android auto the voice command button on the wheel does not activate it. You have to hit the microphone on the touchscreen. The wheel voice button still controls the gm infotainment/nav functions.
I hear if you long hold the voice command button on the wheel it will go to the ok google prompt

Last edited by stanger383; 10-26-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Apple Carplay/Android Auto without Nav

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay/Android Auto without Nav