C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How whould you fully convert an LT1 into an LT4?

Old 10-23-2016, 03:06 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

After reading a lot of your posts you can't.

I doubt you'll do either.
The following users liked this post:
vettefordays (11-01-2019)
Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
You are way better off just throwing an ECS or A&A blower on your LT1. You'll make more power then an LT4, way less heat issues (intake temp/heat soak wise) and likely end up with a faster car over all. You'll make more power with less boost, best of all, it's the easiest/cheapest route. The LT1 is a great engine, it has more compression and more cam then an LT4 and the internals are still plenty strong to hold 700rwhp+

To answer your question (I haven't read all of the responses), the LT4 differed from the LT1 with forged pistons, slightly different rods, forged crank, the heads are cast from different aluminum for more heat resistence, cam, fuel pump and injectors.
Awesome good to know, i had no idea the lt1 can handle up to 700whp in stock form, awesome.

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
The problem with building an NA monster is that it's the exact opposite of the LT4. It was meant for lower compression and boost. You will be redoing work if you do it in stages. Like LS3 guys turning their engines I to an LSA, if you get the parts for cheap than it may be worth it. However, at retail prices there are much better aftermarket equivalents.

I would also throw out looking into a Callaway kit. It's warrantied, has resale value and will match the Z06 in output if not exceed.
I like the idea of all motor cuz its more reliable. And with 500whp i think it would be plenty fast enough, i dont want a drag build. I want a balanced car i can rip on all day and take to autocross and track days. I really want that knarly n/a racecar sound.

Yeah im pretty set on n/a.... so i wouldnt be able to slap on a supercharger down the road on the same parts?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:51 PM
DP RS
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Liter of cola
Yeah im pretty set on n/a.... so i wouldnt be able to slap on a supercharger down the road on the same parts?
Can you? Yes. Would it be optimized for the money you spent? No.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by DP RS
Can you? Yes. Would it be optimized for the money you spent? No.
What parts would need to be optimized? Heads and cam?
Old 10-23-2016, 06:51 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Honestly if it were me I would scrap the forced induction route and go for all motor. The grand sport was put in play to get around the heat and reliability issues C7Zs have when tracked hard. I would keep the car true to form just take it up 150+ hp...heads/cam/injectors/long tubes/intake/tune will put you there, sound bad azz, reliable as hell, and zero heat soak issues. 600+ crank will make that car absolutely fun as hell to drive. Going LT4 (you aren't making an lt4 as people said they are two different engines) route is complex lots of parts and going with forged internals is $$. If you go with long tubes, a nice set of heads, and aggressive cam its going be strong as hell and sound amazing. And save you a lot of money and less headaches. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:03 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C5-VERT
Honestly if it were me I would scrap the forced induction route and go for all motor. The grand sport was put in play to get around the heat and reliability issues C7Zs have when tracked hard. I would keep the car true to form just take it up 150+ hp...heads/cam/injectors/long tubes/intake/tune will put you there, sound bad azz, reliable as hell, and zero heat soak issues. 600+ crank will make that car absolutely fun as hell to drive. Going LT4 (you aren't making an lt4 as people said they are two different engines) route is complex lots of parts and going with forged internals is $$. If you go with long tubes, a nice set of heads, and aggressive cam its going be strong as hell and sound amazing. And save you a lot of money and less headaches. Good luck.
I agree with this. Use the GS how it was intended. Keep it NA. Using these mods should get you in the ballpark of 500whp NA and you'll have a beastly all motor car.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

500 HP at the wheels NA is doable, pretty easy too. Also check out Katech, they have a beast they do. Pretty good packages too.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I haven't had time to install my Lt4 blower on my stingray

but when I do I'll let you's no how it goes but 2 3 guys say it's good so far and powerful down the road gonna change the pistons
Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I appreciate the complete post... i dont have buyers remorse because i dont want a 16' z06 and wasnt planning on waiting to find a 17' z06 for under $70k. I like the performance of the grand sport, enough to buy one and i love the idea of 600hp(crank) all motor (i guess this is a fantasy according to you) i was just wondering how difficult it would be to convert it over to an lt4, i was under the impression they were very similar engines minus a few parts. If its that complicated obviously your right, i'd prolly be better off just selling the lt1 and buying an lt4. My original plan was to squeeze as much juice as possible from the lt1 all motor and buy an lt4 if it blows.

Anyways i really do want that n/a build but i really do like the lt4. Just wanted to know what my options are, idk why ppl on this forum gotta spazz like its the end of the world. Sheesh, like i said read the title, if you dont agree, big whoop deal with it, why would you post your bullshit and waste everyones time your not saving anyone, im not a retard.

Like stated the point of this thread was to figure out how differant the two engines really are, part for part... a lot of you guys are pretty high strung. The thing i hate more than anything is when ppl start tellin me certain **** is a waste of money, dont worry about my money just worry about what i asked you, smh.... you corvette guys get hurt feelings quick. Theres a differance between asking for opinions and asking for facts.
As we all said... if your goal is 600 (you said crank I assume rwhp), put an edelbrocck eforce stage 2 and headers. You will be there easily. And have the stock look that I think you are looking for.

By the way, you are the one being overly sensitive here. When you spend as much time as these guys do here, you tend to learn that what you are asking is bizarre. you cannot "convert" an LT1 to an LT4. That's like saying I want to convert my Camaro to a Corvette or turn your cat to a dog. Which is why all the answers are the same.

Last edited by davidtcpa; 10-24-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

What parts would need to be optimized? Heads and cam?
The heads, pistons and cam in an LT4 is setup for boost so it's not ideal for NA. If you wanted a pure LT4, you would be swapping out a lot of parts to get there.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by Seannyc
I haven't had time to install my Lt4 blower on my stingray

but when I do I'll let you's no how it goes but 2 3 guys say it's good so far and powerful down the road gonna change the pistons
Sweet, cant wait to see the numbers you get.

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
As we all said... if your goal is 600 (you said crank I assume rwhp), put an edelbrocck eforce stage 2 and headers. You will be there easily. And have the stock look that I think you are looking for.

By the way, you are the one being overly sensitive here. When you spend as much time as these guys do here, you tend to learn that what you are asking is bizarre. you cannot "convert" an LT1 to an LT4. That's like saying I want to convert my Camaro to a Corvette or turn your cat to a dog. Which is why all the answers are the same.
Im not sensitive... im annoyed that instead of sticking to the topic of whats needed to accomplish it, everyone would rather jump to conclusions and tell me "nope, not happening, too expensive, stupid idea". If you dont understand how thats annoying i cant help you.
The following users liked this post:
torchred96 (01-12-2022)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:17 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Awesome good to know, i had no idea the lt1 can handle up to 700whp in stock form, awesome.

I like the idea of all motor cuz its more reliable. And with 500whp i think it would be plenty fast enough, i dont want a drag build. I want a balanced car i can rip on all day and take to autocross and track days. I really want that knarly n/a racecar sound.
Then definitely go NA...

Get a nice head and cam package, MSD Atomic intake, 102TB, 1 7/8"x3" headers & 3" x pipe. Get it tuned by someone who is good on LT1 tuning....Possibly even look into doing Flex Fuel for E85 if you want to get real crazy. I bet you can make 550 rwhp on the stock LT1 short block... It would be killer on the track and faster then stock Z06s on the street.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:05 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Then definitely go NA...

Get a nice head and cam package, MSD Atomic intake, 102TB, 1 7/8"x3" headers & 3" x pipe. Get it tuned by someone who is good on LT1 tuning....Possibly even look into doing Flex Fuel for E85 if you want to get real crazy. I bet you can make 550 rwhp on the stock LT1 short block... It would be killer on the track and faster then stock Z06s on the street.
Yes, im definatley going this route... but i just couldnt help but wonder what a supercharger would do on top of that setup in the place of the msd. cant help but think im gonna wanna try huge power down the road. As we all know its never enough power.

Also i been hearing ppl get better numbers with 2"x3" headers.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 10-25-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Then definitely go NA...

I was at 550rwhp NA without the MSD intake and 102TB prior to recently going forced induction. Like the OP, I thought I wanted to stay NA and wanted the sound of the cam, etc. but the power after awhile simply wasn't enough. The entire setup remained the same when I recently slapped a supercharger and meth on it and the car is now 750+rwhp and will climb even further once I add forged pistons, fueling, etc etc etc. I also still have the stock LT1 injectors and HPFP and continue to run E85.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:01 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite275
I was at 550rwhp NA without the MSD intake and 102TB prior to recently going forced induction. Like the OP, I thought I wanted to stay NA and wanted the sound of the cam, etc. but the power after awhile simply wasn't enough. The entire setup remained the same when I recently slapped a supercharger and meth on it and the car is now 750+rwhp and will climb even further once I add forged pistons, fueling, etc etc etc. I also still have the stock LT1 injectors and HPFP and continue to run E85.
you running e85 or will after u change the Hpfp and injectors
Old 10-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Seannyc
you running e85 or will after u change the Hpfp and injectors
Been running E85 since I was bolt-ons and still currently run it. The ethanol concentration isn't as important now for detonation purposes now that I'm running meth though. They actually pulled a ton of timing after adding the meth and supercharger.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:55 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

This is pretty common knowledge on the C7 forums nowadays actually. With the consideration of making the engine modification you mentioned, its shocking that you didn't dig into the C7 tech and C7 forced induction sections to be more informed beforehand. Might I recommend spending about a full day to go back and read through all the trials and tribulations that C7 members in the community have already faced on the C7 forum pertainig to almost anything you can do to the car up to this point. Almost every question has been asked before and has appropriate answers accompanying them.

Ant

Get notified of new replies

To How whould you fully convert an LT1 into an LT4?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

OP, you have just received the best advice available from both Higgs and Fyreant.
As for myself, I would do forged rods and pistons, with aftermarket 2.3l blower. Forget the lt4 other than the parts you will need to keep it fueled (inj, hpfp, etc).

John
Old 11-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 PM
speedmon
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You are way better off just throwing an ECS or A&A blower on your LT1. You'll make more power then an LT4, way less heat issues (intake temp/heat soak wise) and likely end up with a faster car over all. You'll make more power with less boost, best of all, it's the easiest/cheapest route. The LT1 is a great engine, it has more compression and more cam then an LT4 and the internals are still plenty strong to hold 700rwhp+

To answer your question (I haven't read all of the responses), the LT4 differed from the LT1 with forged pistons, slightly different rods, forged crank, the heads are cast from different aluminum for more heat resistence, cam, fuel pump and injectors.

Any way you slice it you'll spend $10-20K to get 550-580whp
1. Trade in GS for Z06=17-22K, get 60 for GS spend 77 for Z06+Tax
If you can swap for USED Z06 would be cheaper than new, but you still have tax.....so $10K if find Used for $65K.
2. Lingenfelter 416=17K with 3 year warranty
3. TSP 416=13K, 10K for Engine and 3K installed and tuned
3. Katech=24K, 600whp
4. ECS or A&A = $9-10k with blower and Meth installed. Least expensive and most flexible option. And you have Z06 power without Z06 weakness. And can always reverse.

Last edited by speedmon; 11-06-2016 at 10:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How whould you fully convert an LT1 into an LT4?