C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune your magnetic shocks from Ride Tech for the C7 suspension! Very trick!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:16 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ridetechbret
A passive damper is tunable by force versus velocity...it will create a specific force when it sees a certain piston speed. In addition, by manipulating the precise design of the piston and shim stack, you can influence the length of time that this force is available (within a very narrow window) It doesnt really know what G load you are in, how fast the car is going, nor if the brakes are on or off.
With an electronic damper (MagneRide or otherwise), not only can you create a specific force, but you can do it as a function of g force, brake pressure, steering input, and vehicle speed. AND you can hold that force for as long as needed. Example...trailbraking is a technique used to keep the car on its nose through a corner to increase front grip. With a passive damper as soon as you let up on the brakes, the damper releases the rebound force and the nose comes back up and you start to loose front grip. With the OEM tuning, its even a little worse...trail braking tends to confuse the antilock brake system and you can get an ice mode or rock hard pedal situation.
Now imagine tuning the system so the rebound is not released until it sees a decrease in G force, a decrease in steering angle, and an increase in throttle position. At the same time you are releasing rebound force in the front, you could be releasing compression force in the rear to allow the car to transfer weight and increase grip to the rear for better accelleration.
Another example...a slalom. A slalom is simply a series of abrupt corners strung together very quickly. Such a scenario doesnt really exist in real world driving. Passive dampers struggle with this scenario...by the third cone you are typically slowing up to keep the car under you. Since OEM tuning is so narrow the results are not much better, sometimes worse if the stability controls get involved.
We can tune each corner of the car independently, AND extremely quickly...and in a wide range. Magnetorhealogical fluid will turn from water to peanut butter and back to water in less than 20 milliseconds. If the entry to the slalom is to the left, we may increase the compression on the right front and increase the rebound on the left front and left rear. As the car transitions to the next manuever to the right, we start to reverse all that...more compression on the left front, more rebound on the right front anf right rear....as determined by G force, vehicle speed, steering angle, and throttle position.

When you are trail-braking, the car is on its nose and slowly moving to being on its side as you release the brake pedal and start to turn the steering wheel, but the motion is rather slow in terms of damper shaft movement after the very rapid change when you first apply the brakes. How do you keep a high force from the damper with only a very slow movement in the damper shaft? Is the damper force not related to the damper shaft speed?
Old 11-15-2016, 04:04 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Just curious what your experience has been in "failures" wether the shock itself or sensors due to the extended activity. In your experience since you have "pounded" on these systems during your R&D, have to found any weaknesses or areas that need to be modified on our existing OEM systems ???
Finally any experiences with your customers warranty given your system is "taking over" the management of "their /OEM" systems ??
Old 11-15-2016, 04:06 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
Any possibility of upgrading non MRC cars to MRC?
Yessir, that would be our Instinct system. Stand alone ecu, wiring, sensor set, and dampers. Even quicker acting than MagneRide. Lot more expensive though.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:13 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by descartesfool
When you are trail-braking, the car is on its nose and slowly moving to being on its side as you release the brake pedal and start to turn the steering wheel, but the motion is rather slow in terms of damper shaft movement after the very rapid change when you first apply the brakes. How do you keep a high force from the damper with only a very slow movement in the damper shaft? Is the damper force not related to the damper shaft speed?
With a truly active system, damper force is no longer married to piston velocity. With the Magnetuner, it is heavily influenced by G load, then modified by throttle, brake, and vehicle speed. We can hold rebound or compression force for quite some time, not indefinitely, but plenty long enough to transition any corner.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:16 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bbrown450
Just curious what your experience has been in "failures" wether the shock itself or sensors due to the extended activity. In your experience since you have "pounded" on these systems during your R&D, have to found any weaknesses or areas that need to be modified on our existing OEM systems ???
Finally any experiences with your customers warranty given your system is "taking over" the management of "their /OEM" systems ??
While failure is never impossible I suppose, we have not seen any at all. For warranty, I suppose some rouge dealer could object to an aftermarket suspension ECU, but we have not encountered any problems. Unlike a modified engine tune, there is really nothing to be damaged by a different suspension tune.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:21 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ammo
Would this system allow for setting the car for autocross then a quick change to something softer than the current tour mode to satisfy a spousal unit who thinks the z51 is to firm?
You will find that when the ECU sees little G load, it understands that you are not racing and absorbs bumps and potholes accordingly.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:31 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

I'm looking forward to testing the settings out come spring, feel free to post your results if you're in a warm weather climate testing now.

Very informative posts RideTech!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been following the DSC setup for a little while now and have been very interested. Trying to wait for some more end users to post their experiences. In regards to "canned tunes" what does the end user have a options. What does the unit come with out of the box.

also any data comparing suspension and shock setting for track settings on the stock ecu versus the capabilities of the DSC controller?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 PM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Ridetech has these on the shelf...in time for Christmas!
Old 12-16-2016, 02:23 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,151 Likes on 3,380 Posts

I too have been following this thread with interest. However, I have a different reason than most (if not all) of the people following this thread. I don't track my car. I use it for daily commuting, vacation getaway, and lightweight canyon carving. My priorities are good ride when not using the great handling capabilities of the car and confidence that I can stay in my lane when I am. I don't mind the current ride but it wouldn't hurt to be more compliant during daily activities (more so for my SO). The roads on my commute are not the best. Similarly, when I get into the twisties on roads with rough surfaces the car will shift under the lateral Gs when the tire looses contact with the road. So, I have a few questions:
1) How significant would the increased compliance be for daily activities?
2) Would there be a significant increase in cornering ability on rough roads?
3) Are there canned tunes for my conditions?
4) I have an extended warranty (GMEPP that covers the MSRC shocks). How visible is the system when I bring the car in for service? Will the dealer see it when he plugs in his computer if he is not specifically looking for it? I'm assuming that if I had a suspension problem I could put the original module back in without creating any problems prior to bringing the car in for service, correct?
Thanks
2015 3LT Z51 MSRC A8

Last edited by RKCRLR; 12-16-2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: signature didn't post so I added car
Old 12-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ridetechbret
Yessir, that would be our Instinct system. Stand alone ecu, wiring, sensor set, and dampers. Even quicker acting than MagneRide. Lot more expensive though.
How much is the Instinct System?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:10 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Been looking at this from the start for the car. Cant wait until some guys put this on the car and get some feed back on it.

Doug if no one post in here before you guys put it on a car please give me a message on it and what you really think on it. Crap for no more than 1300.00 not bad at all for a good up grade in the car. Robert
Old 12-18-2016, 04:47 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Been looking at this from the start for the car. Cant wait until some guys put this on the car and get some feed back on it.

Doug if no one post in here before you guys put it on a car please give me a message on it and what you really think on it. Crap for no more than 1300.00 not bad at all for a good up grade in the car. Robert
Check the Z06 section. Some of those guys have installed and reviewed their DSC controllers.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 PM
G Sport 17
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heading to Sebring in Jan to enjoy some track time with my son. Controller installed yesterday, will give some feedback after the event.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by robert miller

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Check the Z06 section. Some of those guys have installed and reviewed their DSC controllers.
This was the thread I started reviewing one of the first Magnetuners released. I am very pleased with it and look forward to next track season!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-atlanta.html
The following users liked this post:
G Sport 17 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 AM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
How much is the Instinct System?
The complete Instinct system is $10,500. This includes the dampers w/remote resi, main ECU, 4 axis G box, TPS interface, brake pressure sensor, and main wiring harness. We can put this style system in any car, new or old.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:47 AM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I too have been following this thread with interest. However, I have a different reason than most (if not all) of the people following this thread. I don't track my car. I use it for daily commuting, vacation getaway, and lightweight canyon carving. My priorities are good ride when not using the great handling capabilities of the car and confidence that I can stay in my lane when I am. I don't mind the current ride but it wouldn't hurt to be more compliant during daily activities (more so for my SO). The roads on my commute are not the best. Similarly, when I get into the twisties on roads with rough surfaces the car will shift under the lateral Gs when the tire looses contact with the road. So, I have a few questions:
1) How significant would the increased compliance be for daily activities?
2) Would there be a significant increase in cornering ability on rough roads?
3) Are there canned tunes for my conditions?
4) I have an extended warranty (GMEPP that covers the MSRC shocks). How visible is the system when I bring the car in for service? Will the dealer see it when he plugs in his computer if he is not specifically looking for it? I'm assuming that if I had a suspension problem I could put the original module back in without creating any problems prior to bringing the car in for service, correct?
Thanks
2015 3LT Z51 MSRC A8
The beauty of being able to tune the MagneRide system is that there is no compromise in amy area. When the car sees steady speed, little lateral G load, no braking, amd no turn angle, it assumes that you are cruising and tells the shocks to lighten up. When the ECU see G load, turn angle, rapid throttle application or hard braking, it firms up the shock appropriatly. We have a canned calibration for the Corvette, but you can also customize it to your liking via downloadable software.
The Magnetuner directly replaces the oem suspension module located behind the drivers side wheelwell, invisable unless you remove the inner fenderliner.
I honestly cannot answer the warranty question. I would suspect that if you had a damper failure...AND a picky dealer, that they could deny warranty on that particular damper. Unlike an aftermaket engine tune, I cannot imagine what damage an aftermarket shock tuner could do. You can always re-install your oem suspension module if that situation arises.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune your magnetic shocks from Ride Tech for the C7 suspension! Very trick!!

Old 12-23-2016, 02:06 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

From a traction standpoint how much improvement do you see?

Something you ever tested?

I'm at 640rwhp and am amazed how much traction I have. I was going to do a Z06 body because I'll be at 700ish rwhp next spring and I figure I was already on the edge power wise with the tires. I don't think torque will jump more than 25-30ft lbs, at 614 now.

Wondering if getting this maybe would be a good, and less expensive in between to get some more power down.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
This was the thread I started reviewing one of the first Magnetuners released. I am very pleased with it and look forward to next track season!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-atlanta.html
Here is also my review from earlier this year. I've had this system on my car for the entire last season and absolutely love it. I dropped 2 seconds off my lap time at VIR with it and the ride is better than street.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html
Old 12-24-2016, 02:54 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Here is also my review from earlier this year. I've had this system on my car for the entire last season and absolutely love it. I dropped 2 seconds off my lap time at VIR with it and the ride is better than street.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html
Thanks for the review.

I don't track my C7 because of the SC but even for the street, for the cost seems like a no brainer upgrade. Your comments about some slight 2nd gear wheel spin to zero spin and hooking got me.

If it can help put extra weight across the back end without sacrificing at other times its well worth it.

Doug do any of your ECS shop/nearby customer cars have this and how has it helped? I suspect your in the same boat as me for the time being with snow on the ground but very interested.

On the list for spring.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-24-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Tune your magnetic shocks from Ride Tech for the C7 suspension! Very trick!!