C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke at cruising speed?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 01:20 AM
hulstr1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke at cruising speed?!

Earlier today while taking my '16 Stingray out for a drive, I noticed white smoke a couple different instances. The first time it happened I was cruising at about 45 MPH. Prior to that hadn't even been driving it very hard with normal in town driving. The smoke appeared after about 30 minutes of driving (so wasn't cold). I checked my gauges and everything seemed to be fine and did not have any warning lights. About 10 miles later I was cruising down the interstate at about 70 MPH and noticed white smoke again. Again, no warning lights and gauges appeared to normal. Any idea what is happening?

My car has less than 900 miles on it. I had the dealership change oil at about 750 miles. Both instances I had the car in 'Tour' mode but still had sport exhaust on. Stopped at dealership on way home and technician thought could be unburned fuel while car switches between 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder... Does this seem right?

Thanks in advance for your input!!
Old 11-27-2016, 01:36 AM
kc stingray
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

check your oil level first and make sure they did not overfill your engine. have seen a few directed injected engine that were overfilled puff smoke at certain times. with the low miles on your vehicle you can rule out carbon build up
Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

White smoke usually indicates coolant getting into the combustion chamber, usually from a bad head gasket. Closely monitor your coolant level and check your oil often for discoloration.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (11-30-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 06:34 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by kc stingray
check your oil level first and make sure they did not overfill your engine. have seen a few directed injected engine that were overfilled puff smoke at certain times. with the low miles on your vehicle you can rule out carbon build up
In a car with 900 miles I would take this ^^^ advice. Check the oil level. If it was a high horsepower car I would be more concerned with a piston ring situation. White smoke is usually oil.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:57 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C7&7
In a car with 900 miles I would take this ^^^ advice. Check the oil level. If it was a high horsepower car I would be more concerned with a piston ring situation. White smoke is usually oil.
It used to be blue smoke was oil. White smoke was water. Maybe DI is different?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:22 PM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by davekp78
White smoke usually indicates coolant getting into the combustion chamber, usually from a bad head gasket. Closely monitor your coolant level and check your oil often for discoloration.

Last edited by sammy burks; 11-29-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:41 PM
hulstr1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your responses!

I checked the dipstick and it appeared that it was overfilled. I also noticed oil splatter on my garage floor from behind the exhaust as well as splatter on the back of the car.

So took the car into the dealership that changed the oil. It turns out they were training a new technician and the trainer stepped away when the newbie added the new oil. He put in 9.5-10 quarts!! They drained the oil and put in 7 new quart. They said the oil looked fine and they admitted to screwing up and just adding too much. Unbelievable!!

As you can imagine I am not happy about this. The service manager is at another location and is supposed to be calling me tomorrow. The guy at the desk was very apologetic but of course has no control over what happens in the shop.

I drove roughly 200 miles with the extra oil. Should I be concerned? Any potential harm done to the car?
Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Given you only drove 200 miles and its not like it was spewing out white smoke that whole time I wouldn't be too worried about.

As long as it runs fine now. Then monitor closely for any irregularities over the next few months. You should have the dealer make a note to the file that this occurred.

Last edited by Maxpowers; 11-29-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by hulstr1

I checked the dipstick and it appeared that it was overfilled. I also noticed oil splatter on my garage floor from behind the exhaust as well as splatter on the back of the car.

So took the car into the dealership that changed the oil. It turns out they were training a new technician and the trainer stepped away when the newbie added the new oil. He put in 9.5-10 quarts!! They drained the oil and put in 7 new quart. They said the oil looked fine and they admitted to screwing up and just adding too much. Unbelievable!!

As you can imagine I am not happy about this. The service manager is at another location and is supposed to be calling me tomorrow. The guy at the desk was very apologetic but of course has no control over what happens in the shop.

I drove roughly 200 miles with the extra oil. Should I be concerned? Any potential harm done to the car?
No.

Bill
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Earlier today while taking my '16 Stingray out for a drive, I noticed white smoke a couple different instances. The first time it happened I was cruising at about 45 MPH. Prior to that hadn't even been driving it very hard with normal in town driving. The smoke appeared after about 30 minutes of driving (so wasn't cold). I checked my gauges and everything seemed to be fine and did not have any warning lights. About 10 miles later I was cruising down the interstate at about 70 MPH and noticed white smoke again. Again, no warning lights and gauges appeared to normal. Any idea what is happening?

My car has less than 900 miles on it. I had the dealership change oil at about 750 miles. Both instances I had the car in 'Tour' mode but still had sport exhaust on. Stopped at dealership on way home and technician thought could be unburned fuel while car switches between 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder... Does this seem right?

Thanks in advance for your input!!
I always check the oil level when someone else services my vehicles. They will never care as much as I do about them. I even mark the old oil filter with a Sharpie pen to prove that they actually changed it. It's not that I don't trust them It's just that mistakes do happen and It eases my mind.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Your car should be fine but if me and it was smoking like you have said, I would tell the service guy I wanted them to pull the intake and T.B. off the car and tell me ARE show me how much oil may have gotten into them.

If any at all tell them to clean those and also look down into the head on the back side of the valve's for wet oil. This is were the smoke was coming from so they did the problem I would want to be happy with the fix. Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 01-05-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To White smoke at cruising speed?!

Quick Reply: White smoke at cruising speed?!