C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY- AFM exhaust valve solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Default DIY- AFM exhaust valve solution

Delete

Last edited by Chets LS3; 11-06-2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Delete-has failed multiple times
The following users liked this post:
X25 (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

outstanding work!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 AM
TSloper
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Man at least give credit where credit is due. Digging around?
Old 11-29-2016, 04:03 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TSloper
Man at least give credit where credit is due. Digging around?
To be fair, Chet and I have discussed relocation of the AFM actuator in person and at the track months ago when we melted AFM actuators. However having no experience in wiring like this I told him I'd let him tackle it whenever he found time.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

I found a local supplier who ordered 8 different plugs for test fitting. This was approximately the same time you gave me info from a website. At that point I had the correct plugs (I don't know who the supplier used) I had to buy bulk pins (that's why there's a ton of them in pics)

I verified the parts on TTI for informational purposes to help people out.

This is a problem for literally a handful of people.

X25 created a diy solution and sacrificed his exhaust
I created a solution and sacrificed my exhaust
Baylor created a solution after we realized we did not need to chop up the exhaust
I created another 15$ dollar solution.

I am not trying to make any money or profit. I'm simply trying to help the handful of track guys with issues.
daleong (11-30-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Update: I was able to get most of the extensions added in this evening! along with trying to take out my elbow on my jack stands!

**Check first post for updates continued in the DIY

I was able to route the extensions along factory routing with super ease. A couple zip ties and moved the actuator around to where I needed it.

Once again, I don't want the actuators anywhere around the diff or the exhaust. I feel the two items just get entirely too hot. Hence thats why gm has protective heat wrap on all wiring up there.

My actuators were already wrapped with heat wrap, and some of the wrap even got hot.

Plugs disconnected from the AFM

Extensions added to the afm, with heat wrap on the extensions (heat wrap is a must imo)

Actuator test fitting onto a bumper support, the actuator is far enough away from the diff and the exhaust, the actuator is protected behind the wheel liner and shouldn't catch any debris, and is securely mounted to a bumper support.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Bryansuavo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

which crimp tool is used?
Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

just a standard set of OTC crimpers and strippers will work. You can pull a set of wires out of the factory plug as hard as it is to pull these out IMO. A simple test will let you know if you have a good crimp.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Bryansuavo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

anywho, im not stranger to soldering either.. but a good crimp and solder could prove best combo. awesome work tho.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bryansuavo
anywho, im not stranger to soldering either.. but a good crimp and solder could prove best combo. awesome work tho.

Indeed, I think I have enough material for another complete set if you wanted to look into trying the DIY method yourself as well.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:29 PM
yellrcobra
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw your thread the other day when you posted and decided to order the parts and give it a shot.. I mean for $25 in parts, whats to lose. I Got everything together late last night and drove the car most of the day today. This is the best fix I have seen by far without overcomplicating things. I have no codes now and I do have, more extra money for other parts..
I appreciate you taking the time to post this DIY..

Last edited by yellrcobra; 12-03-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Chets LS3 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 10:51 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

That is a great fix. Nice and simple. Wish this mod had been around back in 2014 when I had so many issues with my AFM actuators on track.

Good work finding the right connectors.
Chets LS3 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellrcobra
I saw your thread the other day when you posted and decided to order the parts and give it a shot.. I mean for $25 in parts, whats to lose. I Got everything together late last night and drove the car most of the day today. This is the best fix I have seen by far without overcomplicating things. I have no codes now and I do have, more extra money for other parts..
I appreciate you taking the time to post this DIY..
Thanks, I know you don't post much on here and I know we talked a bit in PM. Glad it's working for you. Super easy fix that's cost effective. Hopefully I can make it up to Dallas and run with y'all at cresson.

Originally Posted by descartesfool
That is a great fix. Nice and simple. Wish this mod had been around back in 2014 when I had so many issues with my AFM actuators on track.

Good work finding the right connectors.
Thanks D.C., was unfortunate your situation, I followed your threads on the afm from the word go. It was unfortunte what happened. I knew it could be an easy fix. I just had to find time to tinker with it. How is the new car doing. Didn't you buy an Amg?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by chets ls3

Thanks D.C., was unfortunate your situation, I followed your threads on the afm from the word go. It was unfortunte what happened. I knew it could be an easy fix. I just had to find time to tinker with it. How is the new car doing. Didn't you buy an Amg?

Well it's good that Tadge and GM saw the error of their ways and deleted the AFM actuators from the 2017 Z51's and Grand Sport manuals. Too bad they did not come up with a retroactive fix for the 2014, 2015 and 2916 cars. It was a very poor bit of engineering on GM's part.

I did buy an AMG GT-S and I have to say it's been fantastic. Not one single issue on track with any system on the car, you can just run it flat out all day long and nothing to worry about except tire and fuel cost. I love that car, and all my track buddies think it's great as well. I spoke to Randy Pobst for almost half and hour at the DCS damper booth at the SEMA show, and both he and Mike Levitas said they thought the GT-S was a super good car. I also own a GT-R, as does Mike Levitas, and he also has a Z06 and a Viper T/A, same as my two main track buddies own. We will all likely be buying one of his controllers for our cars.

Last edited by descartesfool; 12-04-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:15 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

TTI web site states min order of connector pins (7-1452671-1)is 6500! How did you get around this?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:09 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AKKutz
TTI web site states min order of connector pins (7-1452671-1)is 6500! How did you get around this?

Possibly try arrow. I sourced locally but I also checked the websites and didn't seem to be an issue.

I have a good amount of those if you need some.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY- AFM exhaust valve solution

Quick Reply: DIY- AFM exhaust valve solution