C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette Stingrays not only World Class Sports Cars that over heat. Check this out

Old 11-29-2016, 12:40 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C7 Corvette Stingrays not only World Class Sports Cars that over heat. Check this out

Hello,

It has been a long time since I have posted here on Corvette Forum. Still got my 2015 C7 A8 / non factory z51 in white / black trim. Have had this beauty for a little over a year. Only have almost 4000 miles on her. Here goes my rant. Lots of press on the internet, mags regarding overheating C7 stingray, manual and A8 automatic, little more so of the A8. Well, guess what, after a good amount of research regarding other "world class" sports cars, many others came up for overheating, std. automatics, DCT transmissions and even the Porsche famed PDK. Well here is a list of cars that I have read about overheating at the track, such as HPDE days, DE days: Nissan GT-R, Nissan Z350 and Z370, Porsche PDK, Boxter and Cayman, BMW M3 SMG, Benz C63 AMG, etc., etc. What really got my attention is even the Porsches which many fanboys rave about in terms of being able to take tons of track punishment without over heating is not true, particularly with the PDK Cayman and Boxters. Apparently these darn PDK trannies get very got and are very close to other hot car parts / being a mid engine cars / Boxter and Cayman. Apparenly pretty much the same reason why the Nissan GT-R and Corvette A8 are sometimes prone to overheating, lapping hard for more than 15-20 mins at a time is because the darn tranny is sandwiched between the hot exhaust pipes, duh, GM. My point is that GM is not the only company who is guilty of overheating trannies in this golden age of sports cars. I can't drive manual any more due to pinched nerves in neck and back. My car is a base C7 A8 with z51 sways and shocks with Hawk 5.0 pads in front and stock pads in back. Car brakes better and handles much better than when I got it. I took it to my second HPDE event a month ago, 15 minutes total of laps, I am somewhere between beginner and mid level. Car got warm but did not overheat or go into limp mode. I was passing a decent amount of Porsche boxter / Caymans PDKs. Guy there with pdk cayman had overheating tranny. Anybody track their C7 similiar to mine, results? Ger.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:11 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

In the past 10 months I've put about 1,000 track miles on my C7 Z51 (manual), so you could say I have a decent amount of track time in it. So far no issues with the car other can melting the AFM actuators, but I've taken care of the problem.

In terms of stock or close to stock cars that I see at the track I have yet to see a problem from the GT-R or Porsche guys. Only issue I have seen is from the C7 Z06s. I've also personally driven a C7 Z51 with the A8 and I overheated it on the track in ~15 minutes.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:14 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Stingrays do not overheat. Z06's do.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I know this is just my own experience, but...I've been a Porsche Instructor for 17 years. I've never seen a Porsche overheat. My 993 got pretty warm after 30 min. in 90 degree heat running 10/10. But it never quit like the ZO6s I've seen on many occasions.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

.... wrong thread

Last edited by thegame; 11-29-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Stingrays not only World Class Sports Cars that over heat. Check this out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Stingrays not only World Class Sports Cars that over heat. Check this out