C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low cost effective ways of cooling A8 tranny in non-Z51 C7, Expert advice needed>>>

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 PM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low cost effective ways of cooling A8 tranny in non-Z51 C7, Expert advice needed>>>

Hello,

Got a 2015 C7 Non Z51 w/ A8 tranny. Only things I have done for the car are as follows: Z51 front and rear sways, Z51 shocks and Hawk 5.0 pads in front and K&N drop in filter. I really like how the car handles and also brakes better than stock. I am only able to get between 12-15 minutes at hpde / de events until the tranny overheats. Please don't suggest manual tranny. Yes I do know how to drive manual cars but unfortunately my back / cervical area are problematic, pinched nerves, etc. From what I can tell, the A8 tranny is in the back basically sandwiched between exhaust pipe on the left and right side of it. It seems that this alone would contribute to the tranny overheating. Yes I understand the auto tranny builds up more heat than the manual but hard to not think the hot exhaust would exacerbate the heat. Do you guys know if the non z51 A8 C7 with the performance exhaust has an oil cooler and if so, where exactly is it located? I spoke to a vendor that offers heat wrap / shrouds, forgot name of company although I have heard it mentioned on this website and as a matter of fact saw it for sale at the Pep Boys store. Now, would wrapping the exhaust pipe on the left and right side of the tranny area help with overheating? If so, how much so, anybody measure temps? Was wondering because the vendor recommended for me to wrap entire exhaust under car, except headers. Wrap also cats? Thinking of only going with wrapping exhaust pipes only area left right side of tranny? Makes sense? How about wrap around oil cooler lines? If the above would help, any dangers of leaving this gear on car all of the time, would it pass smog, leave any evidence if taken off, cracked pipe? I have heard that some of the other so called cooling gear out there for the A8 does not really help enough considering the cost. I am between beginner and intermediate driver level. Ger.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:51 PM
mungodrums
Instructor

Any brand recommendations, model of part, etc? Ger.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:27 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

I was one of the first A8 owners and very few who tried everything and eventually made big investment to prevent A8 from overheating at the track. Mine was 2015 Z51 A8. I tried exhaust wrap, Z06 fenders scoops and nothing helped until I had a shop here in CA install a large Setrab cooler upfront by the radiator and run steel braided lines in the tunnel and back to the transmission. The lines had jacket insulation by the cats and engine. Parts were close to $1,000 all from Setrab USA. Labor was another $1500 or so. Not cheap but I went from overheating the transmission in less than 10 minutes in 65F ambient to running full 25 minutes in 90F ambient and temp would 230F at most. Unfortunately the solution is not cheap but it's the only thing that would work.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Setrab USA
Good website

Bookmarked
Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mungodrums
Hello,

Got a 2015 C7 Non Z51 w/ A8 tranny. Only things I have done for the car are as follows: Z51 front and rear sways, Z51 shocks and Hawk 5.0 pads in front and K&N drop in filter. I really like how the car handles and also brakes better than stock. I am only able to get between 12-15 minutes at h pde / de events until the tranny overheats. Please don't suggest manual tranny. Yes I do know how to drive manual cars but unfortunately my back / cervical area are problematic, pinched nerves, etc. From what I can tell, the A8 tranny is in the back basically sandwiched between exhaust pipe on the left and right side of it. It seems that this alone would contribute to the tranny overheating. Yes I understand the auto tranny builds up more heat than the manual but hard to not think the hot exhaust would exacerbate the heat. Do you guys know if the non z51 A8 C7 with the performance exhaust has an oil cooler and if so, where exactly is it located? I spoke to a vendor that offers heat wrap / shrouds, forgot name of company although I have heard it mentioned on this website and as a matter of fact saw it for sale at the Pep Boys store. Now, would wrapping the exhaust pipe on the left and right side of the tranny area help with overheating? If so, how much so, anybody measure temps? Was wondering because the vendor recommended for me to wrap entire exhaust under car, except headers. Wrap also cats? Thinking of only going with wrapping exhaust pipes only area left right side of tranny? Makes sense? How about wrap around oil cooler lines? If the above would help, any dangers of leaving this gear on car all of the time, would it pass smog, leave any evidence if taken off, cracked pipe? I have heard that some of the other so called cooling gear out there for the A8 does not really help enough considering the cost. I am between beginner and intermediate driver level. Ger.
Add the z06 cooler in the rear quarter and the front cooler like 2016/17 Z51's and it won't overheat.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I also have a '15 Z51 A8 that I track regularly in jungle hot New Orleans. Wrapping the exhaust and adding Z06 scoops won't help nearly enough. Replacing the tranny oil cooler with the larger Z06 unit will help some and LG Motorsports is coming out with a larger capacity tranny oil pan soon(?). The front mounted secondary cooler is the only really complete solution. Btw, where are you located, and do you run in full auto or do you paddle shift? Paddle shifting allows you to keep the rpm down somewhat which will get you more track time before overheating.

JV

Last edited by Jet Vet; 12-02-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:02 PM
RichmondC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A8 trans heating

I have a 2015 Z51 A8. I have added the LG trans radiator plus Z06 grill and rear qtr panel scopes. I live in Houston, Tx. This was a fast session at MSR Houston with ambient temp around 80 degrees

Old 12-03-2016, 06:21 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RichmondC7
I have a 2015 Z51 A8. I have added the LG trans radiator plus Z06 grill and rear qtr panel scopes. I live in Houston, Tx. This was a fast session at MSR Houston with ambient temp around 80 degrees

and the temps were still climbing at 10 F per lap. One more lap at you would be at the magic 275 F and it would start it's weird shifting protect itself mode. Many of us have done this even with the larger LG or Z06 cooler in the back and it did not solve it by itself.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by ap6954
and the temps were still climbing at 10 F per lap. One more lap at you would be at the magic 275 F and it would start it's weird shifting protect itself mode. Many of us have done this even with the larger LG or Z06 cooler in the back and it did not solve it by itself.
The above is exactly correct, and if the ambient temp had been any higher than 80, the number of completed laps without overheating would have dropped accordingly.

JV
Old 12-03-2016, 09:50 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RichmondC7

what times were you running and when was the run achieved (and what direction) Ive also ran at MSR along with NOLA with jet vet. even with a manual its gotten hot, I'm just curious to compare temps to a manual if the scenario adds up.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:23 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

If it uses the radiator side tanks as a heat exchanger, a cooler thermostat will help.

At the end of the day, the Corvette probably has the worst hp:grill surface area ratio of any sports car I can think of, especially when coupled with the fact that it has a torque converter auto. And air is what cools down the fluids. Less air, less cooling.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM
RichmondC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Msrh

Originally Posted by chets ls3
what times were you running and when was the run achieved (and what direction) Ive also ran at MSR along with NOLA with jet vet. even with a manual its gotten hot, I'm just curious to compare temps to a manual if the scenario adds up.
We ran clockwise. Best laps 1:48-49
Old 12-06-2016, 01:13 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Default Low Cost Cooling for C7 A8. Friend told me his story.

Hello,

Buddy of mine has the same year C7 than I do, 2015 Non Z51 with A8.
Mine is white his is blue. Both he and I put on Z51 sways and shocks on our cars. He told me that he also would have his tranny overheat around the fifteen minute mark as an intermediate driver at an HPDE event a couple of months ago. He told me he would get 15 minutes in leaving it in drive and about 20-22 mins with the paddle shifters. He told me that just before his last HPDE which was a couple of week ago, he decided to experiment experiment with reasonable / low cost ways to bringing the cars transmission to at least a level before overheating. He told me that he ordered some ARC cooling fins, two sheets of this stuff. Apparently it is no longer in production. He told me he found it on ebay. He also told me that a friend of his that has a Nissan Z370 also had overheating issues at one point when tracking. He told me that his buddy put various sheets of the ARC cooling fins all around the transmission and also used DEI titanium / volcano wrap around the hot areas surrounding the trans and had good results My buddy told me that he also used two sheets of this cooling fins and put around the trans and also put DEI heat wrapping around the exhaust running down both sides of exhaust tubing on both sides of the trans. He told me that his car did not overheat at all at 20-25 HPDE sessions. He also told me that he used Amsoil transmission oil to help lower temps. He told me that this little setup had actually reduced his trans temp 10-15 degrees. Temp was taken acurately with a temp gun. Sounds like a good idea. I might try it. Having to put a secondary cooler up front sounds like a headache, especially if it comes out of one's pocket. Ger.

Get notified of new replies

To Low cost effective ways of cooling A8 tranny in non-Z51 C7, Expert advice needed>>>

Quick Reply: Low cost effective ways of cooling A8 tranny in non-Z51 C7, Expert advice needed>>>