C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Akraprovic full exhaust & headers

Old 12-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Chazzmania
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Akraprovic full exhaust & headers

Hi guys,

I am interested if anyone is running the full Akraprovic exhaust system with any header setup. Just trying to see what the best setup will be and peoples opinions on the quality of sound along with the quality of the product.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited by Chazzmania; 12-10-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:32 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

Can't go wrong with Akrapovic.. One of the best exhuast we sell.

-Josh
Old 12-10-2016, 03:32 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Very expensive and no t worth it IMO, but very cool. I would rather headers with the stock NPP mufflers.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Chazzmania
Pro

Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Can't go wrong with Akrapovic.. One of the best exhuast we sell.

-Josh

Yea I have heard good reviews just haven't pulled the trigger on them yet. I want to make sure they are worth the money, plus I want to add headers with the combo.

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Very expensive and no t worth it IMO, but very cool. I would rather headers with the stock NPP mufflers.

Thanks for the response. I have been throwing the idea around as well. I do like the Borla system that still allows use of the NPP system on the car, then adding a set of headers with this would make a great combo. I just want to make the right decision the 1st time and not regret it later.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-10-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make it look like this.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:04 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Honestly, the Akraprovic does sound the best. You won't find too many people arguing that. But all of them like the Borla sound amazing. I wouldn't say you'd be disappointed with the others. Akraprovic is like 10% better, for like 3x the price is my take on it. To some people, its worth it, to others its not. Depends how you like to spend your money. I myself with with ARH headers and x-pipe and left the stock NPP exhaust as it sounds amazing and I couldn't see a huge improvement over it with the extra money spent on an over-axle.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:06 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazzmania
Yea I have heard good reviews just haven't pulled the trigger on them yet. I want to make sure they are worth the money, plus I want to add headers with the combo.

Thanks for the response. I have been throwing the idea around as well. I do like the Borla system that still allows use of the NPP system on the car, then adding a set of headers with this would make a great combo. I just want to make the right decision the 1st time and not regret it later.

Definitely the best..

-Josh
Old 12-10-2016, 09:08 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Honestly, the Akraprovic does sound the best. You won't find too many people arguing that. But all of them like the Borla sound amazing. I wouldn't say you'd be disappointed with the others. Akraprovic is like 10% better, for like 3x the price is my take on it. To some people, its worth it, to others its not. Depends how you like to spend your money. I myself with with ARH headers and x-pipe and left the stock NPP exhaust as it sounds amazing and I couldn't see a huge improvement over it with the extra money spent on an over-axle.
I went LT LG headers, 3 inch mid pipe, Then also Borla ATKA NPP cat back on my car. For me still could be a little louder when the car is in sport r track mode for me. But is it what it is still love it over the stock system.

I just don't see spending the $$$ on the AKRAPROVIC set up. I could put that much money on more go fast parts myself. But if you have money to burn I am sure that it is one nice system for sure.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Hallett
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was looking to buy The Akraprovic & changed my mind after hearing how bad they drone. I think you'll get tired of it real fast. But if you're just going for one of the best sounding exhaust and don't care about the drone inside the car then absolutely one of the best sounding exhaust out there.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

If you just want to make noise, there are lots of cheaper options. If you want performance there are fewer options. If you want light weight Titanium craftsmanship with performance backed up with a tons of R&D, where in many cases when on equal grounds, privateers beat factory teams, Akras are bees knees bar none! And of coarse there's a price for all that and it's all hidden under the car, if flash is an objective.

On Akra's web site, you can pick your car, and go through the links where you can hear a comparison sound clip to OEM.

Last edited by Kamran; 12-10-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:14 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I would suggest you go headers first and see how you like the sound. The stock exhaust is one of the best I've heard on the vette. The headers will really open it up.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Hawkbarr
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 125 Posts

Good advice from CDH76 and others. Piecemeal it by starting with headers. I went with ARH headers, then ARH X pipe and used my stock mufflers and love the sound. But that's just my opinion. Exhaust note is a personal taste thing.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:57 AM
killshots
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have ceramic coated ARH mids, a Corsa X, a B&B Fusion rear section with black Speedway tips and full NPP functionality, and an aFe intake. I purchased all of these parts and had them installed at Cordes Performance Racing (awesome shop) for just under $5500. It's a great setup and I couldn't be more happy with it.

That's just about the purchase price for the Akrapovic rear section, NOT including install. I'm sure it's an amazing piece of hardware, but well over $5K for a rear section?
Old 12-11-2016, 02:52 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I have American Racing headers with the Akrapovic exhaust and LOVE IT.. I had the same set up on my 2013 Z06. I get so many compliments on the sound. Drone really isn't that bad at all. I dove 5 hours back home after getting everything installed.. Sure the Akrapovic exhaust is expensive but it's worth every penny.... Oh make sure you get the carbon fiber tips.. Call Ben from Weapon X to get pricing. He is very knowledgeable about this product...
Old 12-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by killshots
I have ceramic coated ARH mids, a Corsa X, a B&B Fusion rear section with black Speedway tips and full NPP functionality, and an aFe intake. I purchased all of these parts and had them installed at Cordes Performance Racing (awesome shop) for just under $5500. It's a great setup and I couldn't be more happy with it.

That's just about the purchase price for the Akrapovic rear section, NOT including install. I'm sure it's an amazing piece of hardware, but well over $5K for a rear section?
Thank you!!

I do love the akra exhaust and we carry it, but ya it is pricey and does drone with longtubes. My favorite setup is B&B fusion, lontubes, and a cam
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I would also do the headers first, then the x-pipe and lastly the exhaust. If you're looking at performance, light weight and save some money, I would delete the NPP, if you have it, go with a straight through exhaust, or delete the exhaust completely and just go with straight pipes after you install the headers and x-pipe. The headers and x-pipe will give you the performance bump, the exhaust is just to tune the noise levels and add some back pressure. The Akros are nice ... but not sure if they are worth the cost.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 AM
Chazzmania
Pro

Originally Posted by robert miller
I went LT LG headers, 3 inch mid pipe, Then also Borla ATKA NPP cat back on my car. For me still could be a little louder when the car is in sport r track mode for me. But is it what it is still love it over the stock system.

I just don't see spending the $$$ on the AKRAPROVIC set up. I could put that much money on more go fast parts myself. But if you have money to burn I am sure thnice
system for sure.

guys

Originally Posted by Hallett
I was looking to buy The Akraprovic & changed my mind after hearing how bad they drone. I think you'll get tired of it real fast. But if you're just going for one of the best sounding exhaust and don't care about the drone inside the car then absolutely one of the best sounding exhaust out there.
Originally Posted by Kamran
If you just want to make noise, there are lots of cheaper options. If you want performance there are fewer options. If you want light weight Titanium craftsmanship with performance backed up with a tons of R&D, where in many cases when on equal grounds, privateers beat factory teams, Akras are bees knees bar none! And of coarse there's a price for all that and it's all hidden under the car, if flash is an objective.

On Akra's web site, you can pick your car, and go through the links where you can hear a comparison sound clip to OEM.
Originally Posted by CDH76
I would suggest you go headers first and see how you like the sound. The stock exhaust is one of the best I've heard on the vette. The headers will really open it up.
Originally Posted by Hawkbarr
Good advice from CDH76 and others. Piecemeal it by starting with headers. I went with ARH headers, then ARH X pipe and used my stock mufflers and love the sound. But that's just my opinion. Exhaust note is a personal taste thing.
Originally Posted by killshots

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
I have American Racing headers with the Akrapovic exhaust and LOVE IT.. I had the same set up on my 2013 Z06. I get so many compliments on the sound. Drone really isn't that bad at all. I dove 5 hours back home after getting everything installed.. Sure the Akrapovic exhaust is expensive but it's worth every penny.... Oh make sure you get the carbon fiber tips.. Call Ben from Weapon X to get pricing. He is very knowledgeable about this product...
Originally Posted by tyho
I would also do the headers first, then the x-pipe and lastly the exhaust. If you're looking at performance, light weight and save some money, I would delete the NPP, if you have it, go with a straight through exhaust, or delete the exhaust completely and just go with straight pipes after you install the headers and x-pipe. The headers and x-pipe will give you the performance bump, the exhaust is just to tune the noise levels and add some back pressure. The Akros are nice ... but not sure if they are worth the cost.
Guys thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate all the opinions. The headers and xpipe Combo doesn't sound like a bad start. If anyone has any exhaust sample videos please post. I would love to hear a header xpipe Combo with the factory NPP system.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:46 AM
Chazzmania
Pro

Thanks guys for the replies anyone have any exhaust clips?

Get notified of new replies

To Akraprovic full exhaust & headers

Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 AM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I don't have any great comparison videos from directly behind my car, but here is me on the track with my ARH headers, X-pipe and stock NPP exhaust. I can tell you I was quite a bit louder than the modified Viper.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 AM
Chazzmania
Pro

Bump
Old 12-20-2016, 01:54 PM
killshots
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazzmania
Thanks guys for the replies anyone have any exhaust clips?
Check out this thread. Go to post 12. This is ARH mids, a Corsa X and Borla ATAK. This guy's high-quality clips were very helpful to me...hopefully will be for you too. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-after.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Akraprovic full exhaust & headers