C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pressure fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 PM
colin mciver
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High pressure fuel leak

Five weeks. That's how long my 2015 C7 has been in the Toyoda dealership. That's right, Hilo Hawaii does not have a real Chevy dealer. The car smelled of raw gas when I drove home. Being a mechanic I thought it might be a leaking injector. Lucky for me they do sell Camaro's which use LT1 engines. Long story short. new injector, manifold and O rings. Still leaks. Now they tell me the entire fuel line needs replacement. Which requires removing the transaxle system, exhaust and other parts. This will take three days of work or more. Has anyone else had this problem ? I read that one of the C7R race cars had a fire from a fuel leak down in Florida last week. Hope this will not be a common event.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:23 AM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Are you sure it is a high pressure leak? There is a known issue of fuel vapor leaks that may be easy to rule out:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...eaks-1312.html

I didn't realize Hilo didn't have a Chevy dealer. The Kona dealer closed several years back. I'm a Kona resident one week a year.

Ron
Old 01-15-2017, 04:47 PM
colin mciver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RonC7
Are you sure it is a high pressure leak? There is a known issue of fuel vapor leaks that may be easy to rule out:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...eaks-1312.html

I didn't realize Hilo didn't have a Chevy dealer. The Kona dealer closed several years back. I'm a Kona resident one week a year.

Ron
The Toyoda dealer is the Chevy dealer. They sell mostly trucks and a few Camaros. Not qualified for Corvettes as of now.To be fair the service has been working hard to repair my C7.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Must be nice to live in paradise? Small price to pay to not have a Chevy dealer.

A lot of folks, including me, had that raw gas smell after the gas tank is overfilled. When the fuel pump clicks, don't top it off at all. No more smell - ever. But perhaps you already knew this. Just mentioning just in case...
Old 01-15-2017, 09:04 PM
colin mciver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Must be nice to live in paradise? Small price to pay to not have a Chevy dealer.

A lot of folks, including me, had that raw gas smell after the gas tank is overfilled. When the fuel pump clicks, don't top it off at all. No more smell - ever. But perhaps you already knew this. Just mentioning just in case...
T
The intake was removed then you could see the leaking gas line. Once that was repaired it started to leak under the car. The dealer replaced ever thing but the supply line going from the tank to the engine. This included, the injectors, all o rings plus the manifold and the tank fuel pump. As you know the fuel pressure is over 3000 PSI. These parts are one use only. If taken apart they have to be replaced. [compression fittings]
Old 01-15-2017, 10:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

just so you know it's about 2100 psi at WOT and at idle its around 350-375psi
Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Oh, well. Just hoped it was the fume issue.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:08 PM
colin mciver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by colin mciver
Five weeks. That's how long my 2015 C7 has been in the Toyoda dealership. That's right, Hilo Hawaii does not have a real Chevy dealer. The car smelled of raw gas when I drove home. Being a mechanic I thought it might be a leaking injector. Lucky for me they do sell Camaro's which use LT1 engines. Long story short. new injector, manifold and O rings. Still leaks. Now they tell me the entire fuel line needs replacement. Which requires removing the transaxle system, exhaust and other parts. This will take three days of work or more. Has anyone else had this problem ? I read that one of the C7R race cars had a fire from a fuel leak down in Florida last week. Hope this will not be a common event.
The Torch is back .After many weeks My 2015 C7 is out of dealers shop. What started as a leaking fuel injector turned into a complete fuel line replacement. The work and parts for the repair came to about $4000 in parts and 48 hours of labor. Our Chevy dealer [Hilo Hawaii] is not qualified to repair Corvettes. But they took on the job anyway and did a very good job, including making there own tools to remove the transmission and rear end, exhaust system and the rest of the car to get to the fuel line. Most of the wait time was for new parts. I'm very happy to have my car back and thank Chevy for bending the rules so my car could be repaired. If you smell gas from under the hood, have it checked right away.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:23 PM
colin mciver
Intermediate

Update: I had my Chevy truck in for service and was talking to the service manager about my C7. I thanked them again for helping to get the fuel system repaired. He said that GM refused to pay the $5000 for warranty work. Basted on the fact they were not a Corvette dealer. The car is not under warranty now ,but there not to interested in doing any more work on my C7.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:01 AM
ManiacCop5
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

My 19 GS with 1400 miles on it has been in the dealers shop for 2 weeks now. This whole time waiting on a fuel module. It has the strong gas smell near the drivers side rear. Dealer says no idea when the part will be in.
What the hell GM? Cant even keep basic parts in for new cars? In all my years of car buying and repairs ive never seen anyone so unable to ship parts promptly.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:48 PM
Nabush
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by colin mciver
T
The intake was removed then you could see the leaking gas line. Once that was repaired it started to leak under the car. The dealer replaced ever thing but the supply line going from the tank to the engine. This included, the injectors, all o rings plus the manifold and the tank fuel pump. As you know the fuel pressure is over 3000 PSI. These parts are one use only. If taken apart they have to be replaced. [compression fittings]
HP Fuel lines don't use compression fittings. OEM say they need to be replaced every time but a lot of us have been reusing them up to 2x times with no issues. For peace of mind I put blue loctite on the threads so I'm sure vibrations won't break them loose.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:43 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ManiacCop5
My 19 GS with 1400 miles on it has been in the dealers shop for 2 weeks now. This whole time waiting on a fuel module. It has the strong gas smell near the drivers side rear. Dealer says no idea when the part will be in.
What the hell GM? Cant even keep basic parts in for new cars? In all my years of car buying and repairs ive never seen anyone so unable to ship parts promptly.
FWIW, all manufacturers nowadays have long ago instituted cost control measures and excess inventory is a main target. When you add the impact of the Covid-19 crisis to the mix, many already minimal inventories have been depleted and remember that many suppliers were also shut down for months. So, as much as we might like to rag on GM, this is one time that it kinda is something we will all have to deal with for the next year or more from many industries. Try ordering new high performance tires and you are going to have the same types of problems.

Get notified of new replies

To High pressure fuel leak

Quick Reply: High pressure fuel leak