C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'17 Grand Sport parts issue - help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Jonnybgd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '17 Grand Sport parts issue - help

I'll try and make this short for everyone

I broke a clip on the Y pvc hose that going into the valve cover cause i was redoing the plastics

No big deal right - just order a new one or throw a piece of electric tape around cause it will hold with suction.

Since she's brand new - I ordered a new one - here is the issue

My Vin(which matches my reg, window sticker etc) was used to pull up the part from the Chevy dealer. 2 times the wrong part came even when bringing the part to the counter.

During the 3rd visit to Chevy I was told that I either mod the hose or engine because the part on the screen is the part i need and it's about 5" too short.

So i made them pop the hood on a Grand Sport on the lot - low and behold it had the same hose is mine- not the shorted one.

Long story short. Using the Vin from the GS on the lot we found the right part.

The dealer checked both Vin# to pull the build info, sticker, invoices etc.
It seems that on BOTH vin as far as service is concerned the GS is a reg Z51 2LT (which has the dry sump but in a slightly different spot. On the sales slide both Vin show them as a GS.

I have no idea how to handle this cause I did get the correct part ordered finally - but what if the car needs to be fixed - service will order the wrong stuff---- Any thoughts please ? Call GM ?

And as a side note - the hose for the Z51 can be ordered by itself, where as the hose for the GS - you have to order 4 parts to get it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Is it possible your vin was pulling up the 2016 hose?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Jonnybgd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djnice
Is it possible your vin was pulling up the 2016 hose?
These are the dealer sheets
Mine is pulling part 24 on the right sheet
Which is saying its a 2017 dry sump z52 - that's the smaller hose in the original pic

The correct part is in the left pic in yellow - but you need to buy parts 2,3,4,5 to get part 2

I don't really understand how or why the car is coming up wrong on the service computers and correct on the sales computers
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jonnybgd; 01-16-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnybgd
These are the dealer sheets
Mine is pulling part 24 on the right sheet
Which is saying its a 2017 dry sump z52 - that's the smaller hose in the original pic

The correct part is in the left pic in yellow - but you need to buy parts 2,3,4,5 to get part 2

I don't really understand how or why the car is coming up wrong on the service computers and correct on the sales computers
That is easy to figure out. Somebody in the bowels of GM or one of its subcontractors finger fumbled the data for your car. Hopefully, whoever designed the database designed it so there is only one master record that needs to be changed. If it is an old design there may be more than one master which can be a problem when chasing down the incorrect entries.

Bill
Old 01-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Jonnybgd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is easy to figure out. Somebody in the bowels of GM or one of its subcontractors finger fumbled the data for your car. Hopefully, whoever designed the database designed it so there is only one master record that needs to be changed. If it is an old design there may be more than one master which can be a problem when chasing down the incorrect entries.

Bill
So - call GM corp ?
have them fix it somehow
Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The 2017 Grand Sport PCV hoses are different than previous C7's (Non LT4)
The drivers side valve cover no longer is plumbed into the air intake. GM typically sells tubes like this with all the clips and other attachment pieces.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:25 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Is the 2017 Z51 the same?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:39 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe the 2017 Z51 and 2017 Grand Sport would be the same. The oil line off the drivers valve cover is the biggest difference between 2016 and 2017.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:09 AM
Jonnybgd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djnice
Is the 2017 Z51 the same?

I can tell you for sure the z51 has a smaller hose than the GS - cause that's what they sent me
the z51 hose has insulation/padding all
around it and is about 5" smaller on the dead for the dry sump
Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Can you take some close ups of the intake valves? Even if only a hundred miles so we can see how early the coking starts.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Having owned both a 2015 Z51, and a 2017 Grand Sport I can tell you that the upper hose in your picture is from a 2017 LT1 dry sump engine. (Grand Sport, or Z51 makes no difference)

The lower hose in the picture is from a pre 2017 LT1 dry sump engine. The only difference is the location of the quick disconnects near the firewall, and a slight difference in the angle where it comes off of the valve cover. The oil tank is in the very same position for Z51, GS and Z06.

There may have been a carry over of the earlier design for early production models.

Ed

Last edited by Old Yellow; 01-22-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Jonnybgd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
Having owned both a 2015 Z51, and a 2017 Grand Sport I can tell you that the upper hose in your picture is from a 2017 LT1 dry sump engine. (Grand Sport, or Z51 makes no difference)

The lower hose in the picture is from a pre 2017 LT1 dry sump engine. The only difference is the location of the quick disconnects near the firewall, and a slight difference in the angle where it comes off of the valve cover. The oil tank is in the very same position for Z51, GS and Z06.

There may have been a carry over of the earlier design for early production models.

Ed

Ed take a look at the print out from GM on the right
is says the lower hose is a 2017
i think GM messed something up somewhere in their system

and the 10th is an H too

Last edited by Jonnybgd; 01-22-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnybgd
Ed take a look at the print out from GM on the right
is says the lower hose is a 2017
i think GM messed something up somewhere in their system

and the 10th is an H too
I agree. There is an issue with their data base. Their illustrations in both parts, and repair manuals often show examples from earlier models. The service manual for my old 2015 has some illustrations showing C6 parts layouts, and body parts.

I wouldn't be too concerned, since you were able to get the correct piece. What happens in the future is out of everyone's control.

Ed

Last edited by Old Yellow; 01-22-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '17 Grand Sport parts issue - help

Quick Reply: '17 Grand Sport parts issue - help