C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 AM
c6hp4fun
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C7 lowering question

'15 Z06. Want to lower the front ~ 1.5". Maybe the rear a bit. Thought I'd do it by screwing in the leaf spring bolts all the way, and maybe by getting the thinner-head, after-market bolts for $50.

Has anybody done this and experienced the suspension bottoming out because of the reduced shock travel? Does this compromise the (very fine) suspension set-up that comes on the car? (Better auto-X cornering is the goal.) Can I get 1.5" this way? I understand that re-alignment would be necessary.

I'd prefer to use this method, rather than popping for the LG drop spindles ($3,200). Will it work?
Old 01-21-2017, 12:28 AM
ddlanes
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Lowering on the stock bolts you can expect to see a drop of 3/4" to 1" at the most. If you are looking for 1 1/2" you would have to go with the aftermarket bolts. No need to get the dropped spindles.
You won't have to worry about limited travel or the shocks bottoming out nor will it effect the ride or handling of your car.
There is a thread in the "sticky section" of the forum that shows you how to do this mod yourself. It's not to difficult.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Changing the ride height bolts doesn't change travel distance?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Not sure you will get that much of a handling improvement with 1.5 inch drop. A .5 inch drop would probably be close to ideal. That way you won't get into the bump stops in the shocks. The last thing you want is to be going through a corner, hitting a bump, spinning due to a sudden change in spring rate due to hitting the bump stop and ruining your best autocross run. If you want a really low car then go with dropped spindles. That way you keep your suspension travel.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C7 lowering question

Quick Reply: C7 lowering question