C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New weird glitch -- Sirius/XM

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Default New weird glitch -- Sirius/XM

Within the last few weeks, when I first start my car after sitting at least overnight ('14 C7 Z51 convertible), if it's on sat radio, whatever station starts playing, then goes silent, and I have a "reception may be blocked" message on all stations. I can't even get the receiver ID on channels 0 or 1. Every other function on the center screen works normally

It will remain in this state indefinitely until I shut the car down and restart it, at which point sat radio comes back and continues to operate normally. This same phenomenon occurs just about every time I originally start the car after sitting at least overnight, but not 100% of the time. After the initial almost daily outage, I can start and stop the car all day long, and it will operate normally, at least so far.

Is there a separate sat radio module that could be intermittently failing? If so, where might that be located?

It's not a big deal, since I can live without sat radio, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Weird. About half of my stations were very staticy this morning, getting to the point of losing signal. Some stations worked fine though.? I didn't try to turn the car on and off but on the ride home they were fine.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

That's odd too, but I literally have nothing on any station and the "reception may be blocked message" on every channel.

I also failed to mention you can't just shut down and restart, the car has to go completely to sleep before the restart to "reboot" the sat radio. And, I can't for the life of me figure out why it would only happen on the first start of the day.
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Just a thought, but all the computers in these cars are very sensitive to battery voltage and maybe, just maybe, your battery in on the edge? Usually you get all kinds of other computer weirdness too. Maybe leave it hooked on a battery charger overnight and see if it does the same on the first start of the day.
Foosh (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

^^^

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-08-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Foosh (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Thanks Flame and Robert,

I do usually keep mine on a CTEK MUS 4.3 plugged into the right rear 12v trunk port if I'm not going to be driving it for a couple of days. I don't bother if I'm planning to drive it the next day.

However, my 7/14-built car is closing in on 3 years old, and of course the battery is probably older, so I'll keep it plugged in after every drive and see if that makes a difference.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:40 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Weird XM Glitch

Originally Posted by Foosh
Within the last few weeks, when I first start my car after sitting at least overnight ('14 C7 Z51 convertible), if it's on sat radio, whatever station starts playing, then goes silent, and I have a "reception may be blocked" message on all stations. I can't even get the receiver ID on channels 0 or 1. Every other function on the center screen works normally

It will remain in this state indefinitely until I shut the car down and restart it, at which point sat radio comes back and continues to operate normally. This same phenomenon occurs just about every time I originally start the car after sitting at least overnight, but not 100% of the time. After the initial almost daily outage, I can start and stop the car all day long, and it will operate normally, at least so far.
I had a similar situation with my '08 Honda Accord. We have 5 vehicles with XM and have only experienced the problem with the Accord (the others are GMs). But the problem occurred while I was driving. At that time, I had a 90-mile commute.

I would have perfect reception, then the volume would go up and down - like someone playing with the volume control ****. Then, after several ups-and-downs, the sound would go out completely. I would still have all the regular indications on the radio - artist, song, etc. - but no sound. I discovered that if I turned the engine off and then back on again, that the problem would be cleared. But, unless I was stopped at a stop light/sign, I would have to pull off the road before I turned the engine off. Or just keep going, with no sound.

Never did find out what was causing the problem. But haven't experienced that problem for the past two years.
tail_lights (02-08-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 PM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Not sure if you tried this yet but you can try to refresh your radio. Just google xm refresh or https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefr...#/refreshradio

But as you mentioned a slightly faltering battery can create gremlins too.

Get notified of new replies

To New weird glitch -- Sirius/XM

Quick Reply: New weird glitch -- Sirius/XM