C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same brand/diiferent tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 PM
zackvette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Same brand/diiferent tire

Michelin adjusted my front OEM tires, Pilot Super Sport ZP 99Y.
about 90 days ago and putback on the same. Now my rears are at 2/32 and need to replace. Can I put Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on the rears instead of the original Super Sport ZP that came with the car?
or am I making a mistake? Thoughts....
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ I wouldn't mix the two as they will have different levels of traction under different driving conditions. If you really like the A/S, sell your super sport fronts and have the A/S front and rear.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-14-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:05 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

If you don't drive at the limit of cornering traction you will never know you mixed compounds. Why not try it and see how it feels. You can always replace the fronts after a couple weeks of trying it out. Its not like the car will fly off the road uncontrollably because you mixed tires.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

If it was the other way around I would say no problem. However, by putting an all season tire on the rear you have a situation where the better handling tire is on the front which can present problems when at limit maneuvers. On the street those don't happen often but they do happen in emergencies. The problem exhibits itself by the back end losing traction before the front end sooner than it would with equal tires front and rear. You don't want to be seated in the trooper's car telling the trooper, "I don't understand, the back end of the car just went around and I went off the road".

Bill
Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I would always rather have better grip in the front. The bigger issue here is if he drives in cold or wet and the rear has better traction than the front.
The following users liked this post:
zackvette (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 03:12 PM
zackvette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input! Corvette owner since 83, top speed 117 mph in 98. Now, retired, Home Depot, Whole Foods, Cleaners, BP gas and golf.
Only limit I get near is my beer consumption.Never drive if have 2 or more!
Decided I'm going to keep it all Pilot Suprer Sport ZP. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have done that exact combination on my 335i with absolutely no issue at all. Drove with them that way for close to a year until the fronts finally needed to be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Same brand/diiferent tire

Quick Reply: Same brand/diiferent tire