C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HPDE questions pt2 (brake upgrade needed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Here is something else to think about. When I first started doing track days in 1992 I would run 3 to 5 days per year. When I got my 97 C5 in 97 I consistently started running 5 days per year with the stock pads and rotors. I would go through a set of stock front pads every two track days but the stock rotors went three years. There weren't a lot of aftermarket offerings for the car until the 2000 season and that is when I went to an aftermarket track pad. The stock rotors that had gone through 15 track days and looked great were gone in one track day on a track that wasn't hard on brakes.

Bill
I am not 100% sure on the moral of the story. Track pads could be tough on stock rotors? All I read about is how carbotech are supposed to be so rotor friendly. Granted, 90% of the material was theirs. My stock rotors need to be replaced. The driver side is warped and I never want to deal with those cooling rings again.

I am planning on running 20+ track days this year.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:00 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

I am reviving this thread because I warped another set of front rotors. I think I did them in one, maybe 2 days of HPDE driving. This is definitely my fault again. Typically people wear out the pads in 3 or 4 days but rotors typically last 50+ days, am I right? I know the answer is for me to be smoother, but I thought I would re-read this thread. I am considering a zo6 grill.

Originally Posted by spearfish25
. Use the pads to push the pistons in before sliding them out the back of the caliper. I use a channel lock and a piece of rubber to squeeze the front pads and push the pistons in without marring the caliper finish..
Would love to see pics. I'm pretty worried I am going to mess up the caliper finish.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:13 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Now some Instructor Comments:

Step Four: The next time you go to the track you should be thinking about cornering speed. Try to keep max speed down on the straights so you aren't don't need to use the brakes hard and practice on carrying more speed into the corner. It is easier to do this if you aren't riding the brake hard trying to slow the car. Keep an eye on the mirror and point the faster cars by.

Bill
This will be me next weekend at Thunderhill.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:50 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
This will be me next weekend at Thunderhill.
I have two goals this weekend.

1) don't crash the car

2) don't cook the brakes
Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
I am reviving this thread because I warped another set of front rotors. I think I did them in one, maybe 2 days of HPDE driving. This is definitely my fault again. Typically people wear out the pads in 3 or 4 days but rotors typically last 50+ days, am I right? I know the answer is for me to be smoother, but I thought I would re-read this thread. I am considering a zo6 grill.

Would love to see pics. I'm pretty worried I am going to mess up the caliper finish.
I typically get 3 to 5 days out of a set of rotors.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:33 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I typically get 3 to 5 days out of a set of rotors.
Wow, really? Maybe going through 2 sets in 10 days isn't as crazy bad as I thought. Either way, I am going to take it easy on the straights next week at Thunderhill. Do you bring spare rotors to track days? I had only been bringing extra pads.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different tracks stress brakes at substantially different rates, so comparing days of life without knowing you're comparing apples to apples doesn't really make much sense to me.

I usually bring spare rotors and spare pads to the track with me. But I track only a few weekends a year, and the track I like to go to is a 6 hour drive from where I live, so for me it makes for cheap insurance to make sure I get my track time in even if something goes wrong. Of course you can apply this logic to a whole lot of things and end up bringing a lot of stuff that you won't use. Only you can decide for yourself what is worth the risk or alternatively the hassle to bring or not. For me, the things I like to bring to the track are extra fluids (oil, brake/clutch), air pressure gauge and air compressor, torque wrench, paper towels, windshield cleaner, brake pads and rotors (I put these down in the passenger footwell - hate to think what they would do to your head if they were behind you in the event of an accident), helmet/tech inspection form, and water/snacks for you.

Quick Reply: New to HPDE questions pt2 (brake upgrade needed)