C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 AM
LTITUP
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivetrain vibration

I have a 2015 C7 that has a drivetrain vibration. It's like running over a cattle guard or rumble strips at 5 to 10 second intervals. I've taken it to now 2 different Chevrolet Dealerships and even bought 4 new tires at their suggestion at it's still there. It shutters and vibrates all the time! It's also an automatic with 19 K miles.
Any help or suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks, John
Old 03-15-2017, 10:00 AM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I am new to the forum & waiting to pick up my first Corvette, but this sounds like the torque converter problem when the car is in eco mode? I am not sure if that applies because from what I have read here it is an A8 problem? With my limited knowledge on the cars I am not sure if '15's had the A8?
The following users liked this post:
LTITUP (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 AM
LTITUP
5th Gear

Thanks Brother, I made the call back to the dealership and spoke with an employee with the same issue and yes he concurred it was most likely that. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:10 AM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Good luck. Hope it gets fixed quickly.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 AM
LTITUP
5th Gear

Congrats on your upcoming purchase and welcome to to the forum!
The following users liked this post:
CT Grand Sport CE (03-17-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:06 PM
nice1huh
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with mine, 2015 a8. they just put a new T/C in it 23600 miles.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Too bad you couldn't get reimbursed for your new tires.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:37 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

in addition to the rumbling, are you seeing the RPMs fluctuate?
The newest recommendation is to flush out the ATF 3 times w/ new Mobil1 ATF.
keep us updated.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LTITUP
I have a 2015 C7 that has a drivetrain vibration. It's like running over a cattle guard or rumble strips at 5 to 10 second intervals. I've taken it to now 2 different Chevrolet Dealerships and even bought 4 new tires at their suggestion at it's still there. It shutters and vibrates all the time! It's also an automatic with 19 K miles.
Any help or suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks, John
Is it doing it in manual mode? I've noticed mine shudders like that during down shifts in manual mode.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:42 PM
crazychucky8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had mine in the shop for the same thing, however, I have an M7 (2015). They said they could feel the vibration but couldn't figure out what it was. Basically, they left me with a "Deal with it" kind of point. They said they could attempt replacing things but may never narrow it down or perhaps dumb luck on replacing something that would fix it.
I feel the vibration most often when cruising between 60-65MPH in 5th and or 6th gear. However, it still vibrates when cruising in any gear. I typically spend more time in 5th or 6th as my commute to work is all highway.
Any thoughts from an M7 perspective?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:52 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychucky8
Any thoughts from an M7 perspective?
I hope this is an anomaly that is affecting only your car, as I just went through purgatory for two years with my 2015 A8 over torque converter issues. My new GS M7 is perfect so far (two weeks) and I don't want any more drivetrain shuddering! If the dealer can't find the cause and effect a fix I would insist they get a GM field engineer to scope it out. Keep trying and enforce your state's lemon law if all else fails and your situation qualifies. Please keep us informed if you find a cause and fix.

Last edited by iclick; 03-18-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,151 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by LTITUP
Thanks Brother, I made the call back to the dealership and spoke with an employee with the same issue and yes he concurred it was most likely that. Thanks for the help!!!
If it turns out to need a new torque converter Make sure they get the latest reengineered TQ! Do NOT allow them to replace it with the old P/N!

There is a torque converter thread in the general discussion section that lists the correct p/n.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 AM
crazychucky8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iclick
I hope this is an anomaly that is affecting only your car, as I just went through purgatory for two years with my 2015 A8 over torque converter issues. My new GS M7 is perfect so far (two weeks) and I don't want any more drivetrain shuddering! If the dealer can't find the cause and effect a fix I would insist they get a GM field engineer to scope it out. Keep trying and enforce your state's lemon law if all else fails and your situation qualifies. Please keep us informed if you find a cause and fix.
So continue pressing the issue? I was considering taking it to a different dealership. I've heard of the lemon law, but, not exactly sure what it gets me or does for me? I bought the car used 4 weeks ago. Being that it was used do I still get the lemon law?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

On your M7 is this only occurring in eco mode or other modes? Does the vibration come and go repetitively or constantly?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychucky8
So continue pressing the issue? I was considering taking it to a different dealership. I've heard of the lemon law, but, not exactly sure what it gets me or does for me? I bought the car used 4 weeks ago. Being that it was used do I still get the lemon law?
Lemon laws vary from state to state, so I can't say. I would become acquainted with the LL rules in your state and keep detailed records, then keep pressing the issue. Once you're past the LL window of opportunity you're done and GM will likely only do what they have to do. Don't expect them to look out for your welfare.

Originally Posted by djnice
On your M7 is this only occurring in eco mode or other modes? Does the vibration come and go repetitively or constantly?
This is a good point. The V4 activation/deactivation is a different sensation, more like a jerk or clunk of short duration. The A8 shudder is more prolonged, perhaps 2-3 sec., and only occurs when already in V4 mode--not during the transition.

Last edited by iclick; 03-25-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 PM
deagonkennels
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My new Grand Sport is doing the exact same thing (A8). It does not matter if it is in V4 or V8 mode. Dealer told me it due to cold tires. I told them that was BS since I just left Texas and it was 81 degrees outside (the vibration was still there). They told me there was nothing they could do because everything was normal to them. On to the next dealer...
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Hardyeric
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichAshley-Black99
Is it doing it in manual mode? I've noticed mine shudders like that during down shifts in manual mode.
I noticed mine does this as well when in manual mode it shudders really bad

Get notified of new replies

To Drivetrain vibration

Old 03-29-2017, 01:31 AM
crazychucky8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djnice
It does it in all modes. It comes and goes. Shakes for a few seconds, stops for fewer seconds and shakes again - constantly. Most noticeable when cruising for a few miles at a time or on the highway.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 PM
keith69
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2015 manufactured in April 2016. I have had it in the dealer a few times and have had the triple flush, the torque converter change, and the transmission valve body changed. I am still experiencing the "vibration/running over rumble stripes" problem (vibrates 2 secs-stops 3 secs). They cannot figure it out and have talked to GM customer service. GM customer service "investigated" the problem and informed me that the vibration is a "harmonic" and they consider it to be a normal condition. Imagine that! A car that is touted to be a world class automobile and is compared to the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini has a drivetrain vibration that is a normal condition. GM should be ashamed of themselves for even suggesting this. Although I really like the car and enjoy driving it, I do not know how long I will be able to put up with the vibration. It is an annoying problem.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 PM
MeanRay1
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

A friend had these same issues. Had to have a new Torque Tube to fix it.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain vibration