C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I get a comfortable 2XL helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Where can I get a comfortable 2XL helmet?

My old helmets are "snell-expired" so I can't use them at the track anymore. I wanted a Bell Sport Mag because that's what we used at Spring Mountain and I know they're comfortable, but I had one on order for 7 months before they cancelled the order. I guess they're discontinued.

For a motorcycle helmet I'm probably a 3XL. Yes, it's true, I have a big head. Anyone who follows me here already knows that though!

Since motorcycle shops don't usually carry sizes that large to try on, I'm sort of stuck with ordering online.

Any suggestions? Amazon doesn't have much. A brand/model for a comfortable open-face style would be great.

- Dave

Last edited by davepl; 03-16-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

I would go with Jeg's or Summit Racing. I ordered a couple different sizes from there to find the right fit because their return policy is excellent. Also being in OH I usually have the package on my door step the following day.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:52 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
My old helmets are "snell-expired" so I can't use them at the track anymore. I wanted a Bell Sport Mag because that's what we used at Spring Mountain and I know they're comfortable, but I had one on order for 7 months before they cancelled the order. I guess they're discontinued.

For a motorcycle helmet I'm probably a 3XL. Yes, it's true, I have a big head. Anyone who follows me here already knows that though!

Since motorcycle shops don't usually carry sizes that large to try on, I'm sort of stuck with ordering online.

Any suggestions? Amazon doesn't have much. A brand/model for a comfortable open-face style would be great.

- Dave

If you order on-line just be sure you try on the helmet locally.
If you ride motorcycles you already know this...some heads are oval shaped and some heads are round..(looking down from above)
and some helmet makers make their helmets to meet these
differences. I once bought a fairly expensive helmet..it "fit", but was round...my head being more oval caused a pressure point in the middle of my forehead that became unbearable after 30 or so minutes.
The following users liked this post:
davepl (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Trying on locally is problematic, as nobody carries helmets that big in stock, usually. The point about head shape is a good one - the helmet that I had before that fit fairly well was a Shoei, so I ordered a XXXL version of this guy:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's too large, I'll return it for a smaller one, but I've never seen a helmet too large! ;-)

Last edited by davepl; 03-16-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:26 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I orderd a helmet direct from Simpson last year. I ordered a newer model of my expired helmet. They changed the sizing from numbers to S-XXL on that model. The new helmet arrived and was too tight. Simpson exchanged it without any issues.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Revzilla

But dammmm how big is your melon? Is it like a orange on a toothpick? It's like a planetoid, does it have it's own weather system? (shameless "So I married an ax murderer" reference...lol)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:19 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Zamp
Old 03-18-2017, 03:06 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Revzilla

But dammmm how big is your melon? Is it like a orange on a toothpick? It's like a planetoid, does it have it's own weather system? (shameless "So I married an ax murderer" reference...lol)
It's big enough that let's just say I've heard all of the "So I married an Ax Murderer" jokes :-)

Not that big really... 24.25" when I measured it, so XXL or XXXL depending on the brand. But I'm 6' 2" , 210lb so it's at least somewhat proportional! Of course that's also two feet around...

I do look a little like a cologne bottle with my helmet on though!

Last edited by davepl; 03-18-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:40 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Dave,

Check Speedway Motors. www.SpeedwayMotors.com

I just purchased a Bell helmet in Large that was in stock. Had it in three days. Excellent service and good price.

Bish
Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Thanks! Unfortunately, for the large headed:

"Bell estimates this item will ship on Jul 25th."

...which actually means it'll never ship. But I could get an XL.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Thanks! Unfortunately, for the large headed:

"Bell estimates this item will ship on Jul 25th."

...which actually means it'll never ship. But I could get an XL.
So I have always worn an XL, but this time based on Speedway's recommended sizing I purchased a L. Fits perfectly; in fact it could even be very slightly tighter and it would be tolerable. My point: I think the 2015 Snell helmet might run 'large' regardless of the size ordered.

If you get desperate, order an XL to try. You might be happy. This coming from someone else with a large noggin!! lol

Bish
Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Have you tried any of your local motorsports shops? If they don't have the helmet size in stock they can order several brands in several different sizes to give you something to try on. Here is one that should be local to you based on your location: http://www.425motorsports.com/produc...es.html?cat=11

It is always best to work with a locak motorsports shop that knows how a helmet should fit Vs ordering on line.

Bill
Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

need a helmet for drag strip, do they really check the helmet's rating etc or if they see you got a helmet you are fine?

But might get a motorcycle later, is it true that helmet for motorcycle would generally ok for drag strip? thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 05:40 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

need a helmet for drag strip, do they really check the helmet's rating etc or if they see you got a helmet you are fine?
Yes, they check to make sure it's Snell rated at my track. I forget if you need Snell 2005 or which level, but they do check. I wouldn't skimp on brain protection anyway, even if they didn't check.

Technically motorcycle helmets are not the hot ticket for automotive use - car helmets should be fire resistant, whereas that doesn't matter for bike helmets.

I wound up with this guy in XXXL:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is always best to work with a locak motorsports shop that knows how a helmet should fit Vs ordering on line.
That'd be a reasonable thing if the local vendors stocked them that large, which they do not. Can't try on what they don't have, and the one motorsports place I asked wanted to charge me a restocking fee if they brought one in and it didn't fit properly. Amazon won again.

Last edited by davepl; 06-03-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Where can I get a comfortable 2XL helmet?

Quick Reply: Where can I get a comfortable 2XL helmet?