C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cray Brickyard fitment on a C7 Z51

Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cray Brickyard fitment on a C7 Z51

Has anyone tried fitting Cray Brickyards on a 2015 Z51?
I am planning on ordering the following sizes:

Front 18 x 9.0 50 offset
Rear 19 x 11.0 73 offset

I'm getting these sizes so I can fit Toyo R888Rs on the vehicle and keep the front/rear tire diameter ratio close to OEM so the PTM doesn't get confused. I couldn't do that with 19/20 or 19/19 with the R888R sizes available.

The autoanything.com site I'm using shows it will fit when plugging in a 2015 C7 Z51, but I'm having some doubts, as the TRW Cray website doesn't show an 18" Brickyard wheel for the Z51, only for the Stingray. I don't think this is just because of the stock sizes, as the Cray site shows rear 19" Brickyard fitment for the Z51 which isn't OEM obviously.

thx!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bikevette

Front 18 x 9.0 50 offset
Rear 19 x 11.0 73 offset

I'm getting these sizes so I can fit Toyo R888Rs on the vehicle and keep the front/rear tire diameter ratio close to OEM so the PTM doesn't get confused. I couldn't do that with 19/20 or 19/19 with the R888R sizes available.

The autoanything.com site I'm using shows it will fit when plugging in a 2015 C7 Z51, but I'm having some doubts, as the TRW Cray website doesn't show an 18" Brickyard wheel for the Z51, only for the Stingray. I don't think this is just because of the stock sizes, as the Cray site shows rear 19" Brickyard fitment for the Z51 which isn't OEM obviously.

thx!
Some 18 in wheels do fit up front depending on the company who makes them. I was told the cray is one that does not fit and hits the caliper. Also you want to run an offset more around the 79mm range. the 73mm sticks out to far. the problem is all the companys who make wheels in the offsets we need are CCW HRE Forgeline. So what that means is big money. I have done lots of calculations and even wasted money on the low end wheels. I am not ready to spend $7000 on a wheel and tire combo yet. For now the bets option is to put a 295 toyo on your stock rim.
The following users liked this post:
bikevette (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:32 AM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

You will definitely risk rear fender rubbing with a 73 offset. For some reason, some people have claimed to get away with that offset while others claim rubbing at the rear.

More success seem to be with 76 offsets offered by some makers. Truly with 11" wide wheels the recommended offset is at least the factory 79 but, more often, 83, particularly so with the 20" wheels. For 19" wheels you can probably get by safely with 79 offset. I have a set of 305 RE-71R tires mounted on the stock Stingray 19" wheels and the offset is perfect for the wider tires. No touching and the pinching of the sidewall is still reasonable to make the tire work well.
The following users liked this post:
bikevette (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
Some 18 in wheels do fit up front depending on the company who makes them. I was told the cray is one that does not fit and hits the caliper. Also you want to run an offset more around the 79mm range. the 73mm sticks out to far. the problem is all the companys who make wheels in the offsets we need are CCW HRE Forgeline. So what that means is big money. I have done lots of calculations and even wasted money on the low end wheels. I am not ready to spend $7000 on a wheel and tire combo yet. For now the bets option is to put a 295 toyo on your stock rim.
Did you mean "do fit" up front or "do not" fit up front?
I'm taking a leap and ordered the Cray Brickyards. I made autoanything.com rep swear up and down on the phone that they will fit, and the autoanything configurator works for the Z51 so we'll see. (Yikes.)
As far as using Toyo 295s, they don't make one in the R888R that fits a stock wheel rim width. (8.5" front, 10" rear.)
As far as fender rubbing, the stock tires are smaller than the fender outline, and the Toyos I'm getting are 1/2" shorter F and R respectively than the PSSs.
I'm sure you guys are right about them sticking out some, but these are specifically going to be slapped on for track days so not too concerned about the looks.
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the info!!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM
0The Speed Depot
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm taking a leap and ordered the Cray Brickyards. I made autoanything.com rep swear up and down on the phone that they will fit, and the autoanything configurator works for the Z51 so we'll see. (Yikes.)
As far as using Toyo 295s, they don't make one in the R888R that fits a stock wheel rim width. (8.5" front, 10" rear.)
As far as fender rubbing, the stock tires are smaller than the fender outline, and the Toyos I'm getting are 1/2" shorter F and R respectively than the PSSs.
I'm sure you guys are right about them sticking out some, but these are specifically going to be slapped on for track days so not too concerned about the looks.
I would recommend you use the Cray Spider, Mako or Astoria. They use a better +76 rear offset and also allow for larger brake calipers. PM sent.

Last edited by The Speed Depot; 03-21-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Bmwmike
Pro

They do. You can fit 18 up front. However some companys wheel design have a caliper clearance issue. Also as the above poster said the cray spider has the best fitment. What exactly did you order?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:17 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
They do. You can fit 18 up front. However some companys wheel design have a caliper clearance issue. Also as the above poster said the cray spider has the best fitment. What exactly did you order?
Ordered Cray Brickyards
Front 18 x 9
Rear 19 x 11

I'll prefit the wheel before I get the Toyo R888Rs-
265/35/18 and
305/30/19 mounted

I wish Cray Wheels had a phone number you could call direct but can't find one on the craywheels website.

Last edited by bikevette; 03-21-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:01 PM
bikevette
Racer

You guys are right. I triple checked. I got bad info from the autoanything rep. Another rep admitted that their site configurator is wrong. Now I have to send the wheels back (at their expense).

I'm now desperate to find a set of wheels the following dimensions:
18" front, width 9.0" - 11.0" offset as close to OEM 56 as possible
19" rear, width 10.5" - 11.5" offset as close to OEM 79 as possible

Any leads from anyone on where to find wheels fitting these descriptions??
Old 03-21-2017, 06:12 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

You guys are right. I triple checked. I got bad info from the autoanything rep. Another rep admitted that their site configurator is wrong. Now I have to send the wheels back (at their expense).

Yes plenty of companys. ccw does hre does forge line does signature wheel does. Problem is the price. That is the down fall to the C7 offset. I have done lots of research on this. I am not a big shot that can spend money like that on wheels. The absolute cheapest set you can get will run you 4k with shipping included. Figure add the tires in it will be a 5500 combo which is more resonable. Im desperate to get a wider tire on my car but work is slow so I have held off on opening my piggy bank. It would be amazing if a low cost wheel company such as Cray would make wheels in the size we need. They would make up the money on volume. If i had the ability I would produce them and sell them.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:05 PM
bikevette
Racer

OK, ordered a set of Cray Spiders from the Speed Depot. See his post above.
18 x 9.5 56 offset (OEM offset) and 19 x 11 76 offset (OEM 79.)
Going to put these on new Toyo R888Rs. 265/35/18 front and 305/30/19 rear.
These size tires will keep the ratio between the front and rear tire heights the same as OEM to keep the PTM from getting confused. I may be getting obsessive compulsive about the ratio and the PTM, but that's why I didn't go with bigger tires. These tires are both 20mm wider than the stock PSSs, so really looking forward to the first track day this season.
Fingers crossed.
He says that Cray says they won't fit, but he says they will, and he has mounted them on a Z51 and guarantees it, and will take them back if need be. I'll test fit before mounting the tires of course.

Last edited by bikevette; 03-22-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Bmwmike
Pro

OK, ordered a set of Cray Spiders from the Speed Depot. See his post above.
18 x 9.5 56 offset (OEM offset) and 19 x 11 76 offset (OEM 79.)
Going to put these on new Toyo R888Rs. 265/35/18 front and 305/30/19 rear.
These size tires will keep the ratio between the front and rear tire heights the same as OEM to keep the PTM from getting confused. I may be getting obsessive compulsive about the ratio and the PTM, but that's why I didn't go with bigger tires. These tires are both 20mm wider than the stock PSSs, so really looking forward to the first track day this season.
Fingers crossed.
He says that Cray says they won't fit, but he says they will, and he has mounted them on a Z51 and guarantees it, and will take them back if need be. I'll test fit before mounting the tires of course.

I do believe a 305 is much smaller in rolling diameter. A 325/30/19 is a perfect match to the factory tire. I would try for a 315/30/19 in back. Also I would go 275 wide up front. I ran a 275 on a 9.5 rim up front.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:57 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the LG GT2 wheels on my Z51 and have run Bridgestone re-11, Pirelli p zero slicks, and have a set of R888R tires to put on next. All 265/35-18 and 305/30-19 and they have fit great for track tires. Zero rubbing.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 AM
dencos
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cray Spider's

Front 18 x 9.0 50 offset
Rear 19 x 11.0 73 offset

thx!
I have the 18/19 cray spiders on my '15 z51, the fit great. I run 285 F & 315 Hoosiers. For some reason the drivers side was fine but the passenger rear rubbed a hole in the fender inner liner towards the front. But nothing I can't live with. Also a good looking wheel imo
Old 03-31-2017, 01:36 AM
dencos
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I also have the LG GT2 wheels, they are nice wheels, but the Crays are lighter and wider so you can run wider tires. I've autocrossed both wheels for 2 seasons and no problems.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Rtmoore4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I see everyone here talking about running the Cray Spiders in 18F and 19R. Has anyone mounted the Cray Spider 19F and 20R instead? With the Toyo R888 265/35-19 in front and 315/30-20 in the rear, the ratio is even closer to stock than with the 18/19 sizes being discussed. 1.14" difference vs the stock 0.98" difference,
Old 04-14-2017, 08:02 PM
bikevette
Racer

OK, OP here. 2015 Z51. Here's what I ended up with. Cray Spiders. Front 18/9.5/56 and Rear 19/11.0/76. Front Toyo R888R 265/35/18. Rear Toyo R888R 305/30/19.

The reason I picked these tire sizes was that I wanted to keep the ratio between the front and rear tire heights the same as stock for PTM management, especially as these tires/wheels are only for track days.
If you look carefully you can see a minor amount of tire sticking out past the wheel well. About 1/3" or so.

The only minor glitch is that at full steering lock the front tire rubs a little bit on the plastic wheel well liner on the inside forward of the front wheel wells. Anything less than full lock there's no rubbing at all that I can see or hear. Will know for sure next time I hit the track, but everything looks good so far. Even on a very tight set of turns at The Ridge Motorsports Park- turns 13 and 14 I don't go full lock.

OEM rear to front tire height ratio is 1.0348 (3.48%- 26.7" rear/25.8" front).

New combination front to rear height ratio are 1.0355 (3.6%- 26.2" rear/25.3" front). Using other combinations, e.g. Toyo 315/20s rear and Toyo 305/19s front would have equated to 1.008 (.8%- 26.2" rear/26.0" front vs. 3.48% OEM). Maybe I'm being too OC, but maybe not. Plus, if I'm getting a minor amount of full lock rubbing, unless you can find similar wheels with a smaller offset, I would think that the rubbing would be worse with a 305 on the front. But then you're going to get a tire sticking much farther out of the wheel well with a smaller offset.

Regarding the TPSMs, I installed new ones before I brought the wheels in to have the tires mounted. Part number 13598775. I brought the tire/wheel set home in the back of my truck and installed them in my garage. After starting the car, the DIS showed tire pressure displays, but they were the old tire pressures, as I checked the tire pressures on the old and new sets. So I put the old tires behind a concrete wall and the car is still reading them, not the new tires. So then I let the car sit for 20 minutes idling, then drive it. After about three minutes the DIS flipped over to read the new tires. Piece of cake.

Last edited by bikevette; 04-15-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 PM
dencos
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

On my Hoosier set up I ran 295/30/18 front and 315/30/19 it did not interfere with any of the nannies, although I run autocross with everything turned off. The only thing that has rubbed is the front brake air deflectors mount to the A arms, it ground them down a bit. I looked at the rear fender liner that had a hole rubbed in it is deformed and not keeping it's radius. The tires stick out a little, but I have side skirts and the GM splash guards. Not one rock chip in two seasons of autocross.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Cray Brickyard fitment on a C7 Z51

Old 04-14-2017, 10:14 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by dencos
On my Hoosier set up I ran 295/30/18 front and 315/30/19 it did not interfere with any of the nannies, although I run autocross with everything turned off. The only thing that has rubbed is the front brake air deflectors mount to the A arms, it ground them down a bit. I looked at the rear fender liner that had a hole rubbed in it is deformed and not keeping it's radius. The tires stick out a little, but I have side skirts and the GM splash guards. Not one rock chip in two seasons of autocross.
Looks nice. My only concern about the nannies is (full disclosure, I'm NOT an engineer :-) ), is that I wouldn't be sure if the nannies were being interfered with or not. For example, I would know for sure if Track mode was disabled, but how would I know that because of the front/rear ratio being different from stock, the PTM thinks that the wheel is starting to break lose when it really isn't, and adjust power management and individual wheel braking accordingly?

If turning everything off for autocross is what you do, then this isn't an issue, but for me at the track, it could be.

Last edited by bikevette; 04-14-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:24 PM
dencos
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I have autocrossed with the nannies on (forgot to turn them off) and I can feel them holding the car back. I am assuming the tires didn't make any difference because no lights were flashing or warnings on the dash. But that's just an assumption, I don't know what exactly would happen if the computer didn't like the tire sizes.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by dencos
I have autocrossed with the nannies on (forgot to turn them off) and I can feel them holding the car back. I am assuming the tires didn't make any difference because no lights were flashing or warnings on the dash. But that's just an assumption, I don't know what exactly would happen if the computer didn't like the tire sizes.
Me neither, that's why I decided to go with what I did just to be sure. I would have liked even wider tires, I'll bet yours look really nice! But didn't want to take a chance with the PTM when I spend so much time at the track.
ps, Nice ride up Rt 299 for lunch at Cinebar Sam's in Willow Creek if it's still there.

Last edited by bikevette; 04-14-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cray Brickyard fitment on a C7 Z51