C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding 4 cylinder/8 cylinder running

Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 PM
rbweddle
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Understanding 4 cylinder/8 cylinder running

I just bought a used a 2016 Stingray (17,000 miles) and have been reading the Manual I am confused about in what setting the engine shifts from 8 cylinder running and 4 cylinder. I think the manual indicates if you are in Tour, Sport,etc. then only 8 cylinder but in Eco maybe 4 cylinder. I am generally in Tour and when I coast to a stop light, the idle is very quite but I can feel it is not running "smooth" Is this normal?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Automatic or manual? The only way to keep the auto out of 4 is to run in manual and use the paddles. With a manual trans the only way it will go into 4 is when your in eco mode.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by rbweddle
I just bought a used a 2016 Stingray (17,000 miles) and have been reading the Manual I am confused about in what setting the engine shifts from 8 cylinder running and 4 cylinder. I think the manual indicates if you are in Tour, Sport,etc. then only 8 cylinder but in Eco maybe 4 cylinder. I am generally in Tour and when I coast to a stop light, the idle is very quite but I can feel it is not running "smooth" Is this normal?
The idle can be a little rough since it is a V8 with a performance cam.

Bill
Old 03-22-2017, 10:41 AM
rbweddle
Cruising

Originally Posted by Ammo
Automatic or manual? The only way to keep the auto out of 4 is to run in manual and use the paddles. With a manual trans the only way it will go into 4 is when your in eco mode.
I have auto.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

As Bill noted, the slightly lumpy idle is the nature of the performance cam in this motor. But rest assured it's not related to V4/C8 operation.

You'll only see V4 when cruising on flat or a decline plane roadway at higher speeds, basically where the motor isn't working at -all-, it'll switch to V4. Like at 60mph with cruise on when you start to go slightly downhill, that's when you'd see it.

As far as I know with the Auto it'll happen in any mode, whereas with the stick you must be in Eco, I think. If you're on the economy screen you can see the V4/V7 indicator on the dash display.

Last edited by davepl; 03-22-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 AM
rbweddle
Cruising

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
As Bill noted, the slightly lumpy idle is the nature of the performance cam in this motor. But rest assured it's not related to V4/C8 operation.

You'll only see V4 when cruising on flat or a decline plane roadway at higher speeds, basically where the motor isn't working at -all-, it'll switch to V4. Like at 60mph with cruise on when you start to go slightly downhill, that's when you'd see it.

As far as I know with the Auto it'll happen in any mode, whereas with the stick you must be in Eco, I think. If you're on the economy screen you can see the V4/V7 indicator on the dash display.
Thanks all. A lot of changes since my 1985 C4.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Any GM car with AFM will never run on 4 cylinders at idle---and never in a gear lower than 3rd--so this is not why you may be experiencing a not so smooth idle----In order for AFM to be activated / de-activated it takes multiple parameters to be met----

Speed
RPM
Current gear
Manifold vacuum
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,123 Likes on 560 Posts

... If you're on the economy screen you can see the V4/V7 indicator on the dash display.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

If you're on the economy screen you can see the V4/V7 indicator on the dash display.
Originally Posted by CP
Hey, V7 mode contributes to the lumpy idle. If you want your car to sound mean at the local cruise in just pull a spark plug cable. You get the same affect as a really mean cam and it doesn't cost you anything except some extra gasoline.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
CP (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Congrats on your new American Icon. Welcome to the forum.

If you want to monitor when the engine is running in V8 or V4 mode you can display this information on your DIC, see the owners manual.

For the A8 transmission it is possible to be in V4 mode when the shift selector is in "D" and in any of the drive settings ECO, WEATHER, TOUR , SPORT , TRACK. However the following is a short list of some of the conditions that are required , in addition to the above, for the engine to switch into V4 mode;
*engine running more than 30 seconds
*engine speed between 700 and 2800RPM
*oil pressure 27-66 psi
*oil temp 61-263 degrees F
*coolant temp 100-263 degrees F
* throttle angle 6% or less
*vehicle speed greater than aprox 15 MPH
*Transmission must be in fourth gear or higher
The list goes on but those are the parameters the driver can see.

The transition to V4 mode occurs in 250 milliseconds and always
shuts down the same cylinders,1&7 on the left bank ,6&4 on the right bank. In V4 mode the engine is inherently rough so the Torque Tube, Torque converter and other components are designed to smooth things out. You will see posts on the forum from members that have " rough " drive line issues which frequently is a result of these components not working correctly.

Lots of good stuff to learn about our C7's from the forum members so congrats again on your ride and if you get a chance post some pix

I just assumed you have an A8 so if you have a M7 sorry to have caused your eyes to glaze over

Last edited by 767guy; 03-23-2017 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimmie jam (04-16-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:30 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,123 Likes on 560 Posts

Which do you think resulted in a larger cost to the buyer: All the AFM hardware and software needed to run it or the gas guzzler tax? I'm opting for the former, personally.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:34 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-23-2017, 05:50 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Well Dave's V7 typo may not be so far fetched since at least two different concerns are designing systems that can drop any number of cylinders and cycle through the different cylinders to equalize wear over time. Some of the Japanese automakers earlier expressed concern that consistently shutting off the same cylinders will result in unequal wear which will become noticeable as the engine operating hours add up. Delphi had an announcement about their proposed system sometime last year. Maybe it is time to buy stock in firms that are designing isolating mounts for the engines and drivetrain to handle the NVH from these "AFM on steroids" systems of the future.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM
rbweddle
Cruising

Originally Posted by 767guy
Congrats on your new American Icon. Welcome to the forum.

If you want to monitor when the engine is running in V8 or V4 mode you can display this information on your DIC, see the owners manual.

For the A8 transmission it is possible to be in V4 mode when the shift selector is in "D" and in any of the drive settings ECO, WEATHER, TOUR , SPORT , TRACK. However the following is a short list of some of the conditions that are required , in addition to the above, for the engine to switch into V4 mode;
*engine running more than 30 seconds
*engine speed between 700 and 2800RPM
*oil pressure 27-66 psi
*oil temp 61-263 degrees F
*coolant temp 100-263 degrees F
* throttle angle 6% or less
*vehicle speed greater than aprox 15 MPH
*Transmission must be in fourth gear or higher
The list goes on but those are the parameters the driver can see.

The transition to V4 mode occurs in 250 milliseconds and always
shuts down the same cylinders,1&7 on the left bank ,6&4 on the right bank. In V4 mode the engine is inherently rough so the Torque Tube, Torque converter and other components are designed to smooth things out. You will see posts on the forum from members that have " rough " drive line issues which frequently is a result of these components not working correctly.

Lots of good stuff to learn about our C7's from the forum members so congrats again on your ride and if you get a chance post some pix

I just assumed you have an A8 so if you have a M7 sorry to have caused your eyes to glaze over
Yep, got the A8. Definitely looks like running in V4 not a concern. I also have an Audi A8L I am fortunate, best sedan in the world and best sports car
Old 03-29-2017, 03:37 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Which do you think resulted in a larger cost to the buyer: All the AFM hardware and software needed to run it or the gas guzzler tax? I'm opting for the former, personally.
I would gladly pay the tax to avoid AFM. However, Chevy probably doesn't have a choice. Gotta please those tree hugging folks that rammed CAFE down everyone's throats.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by KemahGT
I would gladly pay the tax to avoid AFM. However, Chevy probably doesn't have a choice. Gotta please those tree hugging folks that rammed CAFE down everyone's throats.
I drive a ton, so I'm glad CAFE standards got rammed down everyone's throats.

I'll take my AFM and V4 mode.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:13 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland

And you can have my TC problems, and AFM. I'll send you all of the parts when I'm done. You're gonna need them.

Get notified of new replies

To Understanding 4 cylinder/8 cylinder running

Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by KemahGT
And you can have my TC problems, and AFM. I'll send you all of the parts when I'm done. You're gonna need them.
Lol. Someone's salty.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Understanding V4/V8 modes

Originally Posted by spireland

I appreciate the cylinder management system - I have it on three of my vehicles. I do a combination of town/highway, flat/hilly driving and, as long as my foot doesn't become too heavy on the gas pedal, I get almost as good mileage from my Vette as from my 6-cylinder Honda (sorry forum members) Accord (28 Accord/ 26 Vette). Interesting situation, since, even with four cylinders deactivated, I still have 230 ponies to pull me along as compared to 267 in the Accord with all 6 cylinders firing.

Similar situation with my Sierra, although the most I have ever been able to get out of it has been about 22 mpg - maybe because I use it for light hauling sometimes.

I love all of this technology!

Old 04-07-2017, 03:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Yep, got the A8. Definitely looks like running in V4 not a concern. I also have an Audi A8L I am fortunate, best sedan in the world and best sports car
Second best... I have the S8 :-)

Too bad deactivating half of its cylinders would leave you with 5!

I have no problem with AFM. Worst case I think I might have once though I heard a rumbling sound when it kicked it. I wouldn't take the cost and complexity by choice but I think GM has done a good job with it.

Last edited by davepl; 04-07-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Understanding 4 cylinder/8 cylinder running