C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking a non-Z07 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:55 AM
Adaraas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking a non-Z07 Grand Sport

Hey there all, I've decided to change the direction with my next car purchase. I'm looking to get into HDPE events more and more, so I'm looking to buy something to accompany that.

How well does a non Z07 grandsport fare on a track? Closest tracks are Daytona, and Sebring so those would be the tracks I'll be taking the car to.

I'm not entirely adverse to getting a Z07, but I just don't feel like I need it and saving the extra 7 grand would be a bonus.

I plan to add Stage 3 aero to the car, but don't want to pay the premium that comes with the brakes as I feel I don't need them.

Wont be buying a Z06 because I want to do a stroker motor for the car, and ultimately dont feel 700rwhp would do too well on a road course

Another question at this point would be manual vs automatic, but from what I've read the automatics overheat if pushed hard? I have no loyalty to either transmission.

Last edited by Adaraas; 03-22-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

From someone who purchased a Z07 Z06, you can spend your money better elsewhere on other upgrades. The Carbon Ceramics are good, but consumable cost is pretty high. There are many oem looking aero options available now from painted to exposed carbon fiber, take your pick.

If you want to track your car, I highly recommend the manual. The non-supercharged motor won't do as bad on a road course with the auto, but many of us track our manual Z06s heavily and have never had an issue (with the GMPP secondary cooler that now comes stock.)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

Not a whole lot of track experience out there on the GS with it being new. My experience has been at Ron Follows last year in a Z51 which obviously didn't have the CCB brakes. As I got faster during the last couple sessions I sensed some brake degradation but that was at the end of a 25 min session in mid-90 weather and the degradation was just some extra peddle travel, it still stopped. So I ended buying with a non-z07 GS with the M7 since it has bigger brakes than the Z51 and all the inventory deals at the time were non-z07 so the cost savings was way more than the option package. I also liked being able to replace pads/rotors with inexpensive non CC parts.

I did Ron Fellows again this past Jan in a GS with the z07 and I don't think you would regret getting it. Hopefully in the no too distant future the price of CCB will come down and become standard on sports cars. I have some track days planned May and June so I won't be able to specifically answer your question until then.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Adaraas
Intermediate

Cool deal, looks like I can spend that extra money on something aftermarket then. Plus it makes finding the car I want easier without having to look for the Z07 package.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Adaraas
...Closest tracks are Daytona, and Sebring so those would be the tracks I'll be taking the car to....
I don't see where you live either on your avatar or in your profile info, but I guess it's somewhere in Central Florida.

If you haven't been to an HPDE at Daytona before I'll be running one Thurs/Fri April 6/7.

If you can make it out on one of those days you would enjoy watching the action, and I should be able to take you around the track to see what you think of a Z06/Z07 M7 on the track.

All the Daytona HPDE's are generally free for spectators to come in and watch, however this one is put on in conjunction with the CECF (Celebration Exotic Car Festival) going on that weekend, and there will be a bunch of Ferrari racing sessions intermingled with the HPDE sessions and I guess the poor exotic car guys see a money-making opportunity!!! So....it will cost you $20 to come into the track. Enter through Gate 40 (off Williamson Blvd, about 1/4 mile south of Int'l Speedway Blvd), then drive into the infield to the NASCAR garage area.

I've been running Daytona with a Stage 1-1/2 aero configuration to reduce drag for this high speed track - Stage 2 front splitter end plates and Stage 1 rear spoiler extensions. I plan at this event to run Stage 1-1/2 one day and then put on the full Stage 3 stuff to see what that does to lap times and top speed.

Bottom line - come on out if you can make it. I can't view the entire roster, but the portion of it I see has at least one C7 GS driving the event, so you could talk with him about how it's doing on the track. If he could take you for a ride, you could compare the GS to my Z06.

Any questions shoot me a PM.

Bob

Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Adaraas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I don't see where you live either on your avatar or in your profile info, but I guess it's somewhere in Central Florida.

If you haven't been to an HPDE at Daytona before I'll be running one Thurs/Fri April 6/7.

If you can make it out on one of those days you would enjoy watching the action, and I should be able to take you around the track to see what you think of a Z06/Z07 M7 on the track.

All the Daytona HPDE's are generally free for spectators to come in and watch, however this one is put on in conjunction with the CECF (Celebration Exotic Car Festival) going on that weekend, and there will be a bunch of Ferrari racing sessions intermingled with the HPDE sessions and I guess the poor exotic car guys see a money-making opportunity!!! So....it will cost you $20 to come into the track. Enter through Gate 40 (off Williamson Blvd, about 1/4 mile south of Int'l Speedway Blvd), then drive into the infield to the NASCAR garage area.

I've been running Daytona with a Stage 1-1/2 aero configuration to reduce drag for this high speed track - Stage 2 front splitter end plates and Stage 1 rear spoiler extensions. I plan at this event to run Stage 1-1/2 one day and then put on the full Stage 3 stuff to see what that does to lap times and top speed.

Bottom line - come on out if you can make it. I can't view the entire roster, but the portion of it I see has at least one C7 GS driving the event, so you could talk with him about how it's doing on the track. If he could take you for a ride, you could compare the GS to my Z06.

Any questions shoot me a PM.

Bob

I would've loved to come out this weekend, but I'm getting my car back from getting a built engine put in it so unfortunately I can't. Thank you for the invitation though.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Adaraas
I would've loved to come out this weekend, but I'm getting my car back from getting a built engine put in it so unfortunately I can't. Thank you for the invitation though.
Well....2 problems:
  1. It's not this weekend, it's during the week (Thurs-Fri) April 6-7, so it's 2 weeks from now
  2. It doesn't matter if your car is running or not. You can't run your car - registration is full, and it's only for advanced solo drivers who can verify their status

There are several good Daytona HPDE's in the fall. First one is put on by forum member Henry Gilbert's Performance Driving Group:

www.performancedrivinggroup.com

Click on the "Events" tab and you'll see the Daytona event will be Oct 6-8, along with Sebring events all spring and summer.

And at Daytona, there is a PCA event in Nov (not sure yet whether it will have HPDE sessions - it may mostly be racing), and two HPDE's in Dec.

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-22-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Adaraas
Intermediate

Well....2 problems:
  1. It's not this weekend, it's during the week (Thurs-Fri) April 6-7, so it's 2 weeks from now
  2. It doesn't matter if your car is running or not. You can't run your car - registration is full, and it's only for advanced solo drivers who can verify their status

There are several good Daytona HPDE's in the fall. First one is put on by forum member Henry Gilbert's Performance Driving Group:

www.performancedrivinggroup.com

Click on the "Events" tab and you'll see the Daytona event will be Oct 6-8, along with Sebring events all spring and summer.

And at Daytona, there is a PCA event in Nov (not sure yet whether it will have HPDE sessions - it may mostly be racing), and two HPDE's in Dec.

I meant I couldn't come this weekend because I was picking the car up, not that I wanted to run it. Along with that I don't really have time during the week.

Thanks though.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I have a 17 GS a8. Changed to a dewitts radiator g loc -16 pads race pads. Last weekend I ran cota 5 sessions on sat and 4 on Sunday. Water stayed around 215-220 trans temp 195-212, oil peaked at 275- going to work on that. No alarms and no drama. I ran it pretty good fastest lap 2.33 constant 2.36 in traffic. Ran it in manual mode. I put the Gm brake cooling ducts on it without the rings- no brake fade and bleed the system on Tuesday and no burned fluid. No drama, had a great time. It's a very capable car. Ran in track- sport 1
Old 03-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

You are better off with the steel brakes. although if you are doing a lot of track time you might want to upgrade from the OEM rotors.

As far as the A8 goes, the 2016's and newer have the secondary cooler, so it should be fine unless you are in very hot temperatures.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
...As far as the A8 goes, the 2016's and newer have the secondary cooler, so it should be fine unless you are in very hot temperatures.
The 2017 M7 has a secondary radiator.

The A8 cars have a transmission cooler in the same place that the secondary radiator is installed. You can't install the secondary radiator into the auto trans cars.

If you have a 2015 or 2016 M7 Z06 you can install the 2017 secondary radiator.

I have a 2016 M7 Z06 and haven't had any overheating problems on the track. I do plan on installing the secondary radiator however.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I would not want to get the Z07 package. I drive my cars in all weather, mostly on the street, and I don't want to have to worry about protecting the carbon rotors whenever I take wheels off, which is often, hydroplaning in heavy rain, and burning up $2,000.00 in tires every 6 months. If I need stickier rubber for the track, I'll go down to 18s and get some R6s. If I run out of brake, I'll work on cooling. If I still run out of brake, I'll do a front AP Racing Radi-Cal kit.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...mm-c7-corvette

Also, get the stick. The automatic has crisp, fast upshifts, but lazy, sloppy downshifts, and does indeed overheat when tracked. The trans may rev-match, but downshifts will not crack off like a PDK, DCT, or even the ZF 8-speed automatic will, and that takes away the little feedback I'd hope to maintain when not getting the stick.

Last edited by 4GS7; 03-23-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:06 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I bought a non-Z07 Grandsport with the intent to track. All you need for lap times capable beyond most mortals is 18" rims, R7's slicks, Carbotech brake pads and DSc controller.

Last edited by rb185afm; 03-25-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

The 2017 M7 has a secondary radiator.

The A8 cars have a transmission cooler in the same place that the secondary radiator is installed. You can't install the secondary radiator into the auto trans cars.

If you have a 2015 or 2016 M7 Z06 you can install the 2017 secondary radiator.

I have a 2016 M7 Z06 and haven't had any overheating problems on the track. I do plan on installing the secondary radiator however.

Well that's nice, but the guy mentioned A8 overheating issues, which means the A8 overheating. So yes, 2016+ have the secondary A8 cooler, which is exactly what I said.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Floridamark
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2017 Grand Sport not 07

12 track days. And running Sebring 3-31 and 4-15. Only changes are track Alignment DCS controller, SRF Break Fluid and XP10 front and XP8 rear break pads.

You will love the car! Get it on the track and have some fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking a non-Z07 Grand Sport

Quick Reply: Tracking a non-Z07 Grand Sport