C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 muffler delete reviews needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 AM
Ironhide148
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 muffler delete reviews needed!

i don't want to spend 2k on a borla Atak npp, so have anyone done a muffler delete who could give me a review? Currently have the performance exhaust with z51 package

like drone, how much louder it would be,

the pros and cons!

thanks a lot!

Last edited by Ironhide148; 03-23-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Joetib07
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a z06, I pulled the fuse for my npp exhaust and just installed a Borla Xpipe, made a big difference in sound, you may want to start with that and see if you want to step up to muffler deletes, I still might go with muffler deletes but I'm just waiting for a vender to make a bolt on kit, Mid America I believe are the only ones that make a kit but at $1000 that's just obsured for just a couple pieces of pipe and clamps.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:04 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhide148
i don't want to spend 2k on a borla Atak npp, so have anyone done a muffler delete who could give me a review? Currently have the performance exhaust with z51 package

like drone, how much louder it would be,

the pros and cons!

thanks a lot!
not worth the cost to sound diff in the ATAK cat back. I have them. Do a search in here on muffler delete 2 r 3 guys have done it & posts sound clips.. I will look and find it for you if you cant. Look at the clip that c7jake posted on his car.... Robert

Last edited by robert miller; 03-24-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Rod2013C6
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Muffler delete

I have listened to a bazillion exhaust clips, watched car shows a plenty with exhaust upgrades and in my opinion you cannot beat the aggressive sound you get from removing the suit case mufflers. The NPP performance exhaust is the most useless upgrade for these cars in my opinion. I have the M7 so my car won't go into 4 cyl mode unless i use eco mode so with all that said ....i suggest you listen to all the clips on the internet both ways and maybe find a fellow corvette owner that has the muffler delete done and take a ride with him. This is so taste oriented in that it is what you are exactly looking for that matters. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
big454blockchevy (11-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod2013C6
I have listened to a bazillion exhaust clips, watched car shows a plenty with exhaust upgrades and in my opinion you cannot beat the aggressive sound you get from removing the suit case mufflers. The NPP performance exhaust is the most useless upgrade for these cars in my opinion. I have the M7 so my car won't go into 4 cyl mode unless i use eco mode so with all that said ....i suggest you listen to all the clips on the internet both ways and maybe find a fellow corvette owner that has the muffler delete done and take a ride with him. This is so taste oriented in that it is what you are exactly looking for that matters. Hope this helps.
Again here OP look up in here c7jake look at his clip on him removing his c7 stock mufflers and he just added the black tips from one of the after market co. His car sounds great...
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 AM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Any loss of power from removing the mufflers?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 AM
Rod2013C6
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B
Any loss of power from removing the mufflers?
no loss of power and really probably a little gain with less restriction and more flow.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:57 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod2013C6
no loss of power and really probably a little gain with less restriction and more flow.
a few people keep telling me that im going to lose some low-end/torque, which is the only thing stopping me from removing them. This car is way too quiet for my liking
Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

My biggest concern is possibly excessive dreaded drone.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:20 PM
WarHammer619
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder how much weight was cut off by doing it that way??
Old 10-08-2017, 01:14 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

To this day I cannot figure out why no vendors have released a slip-fit style muffler delete for a reasonable price. The only solution other than custom is the Hooker Blackheart and it comes with the over axle pipe which is unnecessary because you can just cut your existing pipes right before the mufflers. If someone would make two simple Y pipes with hangers on them and sold it with just that for a few hundred bucks they would be rich overnight lol
The following users liked this post:
Bmwmike (04-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:33 PM
WarHammer619
Instructor

Originally Posted by FYREANT
To this day I cannot figure out why no vendors have released a slip-fit style muffler delete for a reasonable price. The only solution other than custom is the Hooker Blackheart and it comes with the over axle pipe which is unnecessary because you can just cut your existing pipes right before the mufflers. If someone would make two simple Y pipes with hangers on them and sold it with just that for a few hundred bucks they would be rich overnight lol

I cant figure this out for the life of me either. I think it would be a hit for so many people. This sucks. I guess i am just goung to look for a solid muffler shop.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

you can go off-road x-pipe, will amp up sound a little bit through stock. Just a little.

you can pull fuse 42, it will make lower RPM a little more rumbly because even in "track" mode the NPP closes valves below certain RPM.

you can do a muffler delete - for sure search C7Jake posts as he was a huge proponent of this approach. I had a BMW 335 and got talked into doing a muffler delete on that car through the BMW forum. It was louder and sounded great. The faster you went the louder it got and it never, ever, got quiet. If you didn't drive much, it was great. If you drove on the highway a lot it was miserable. I lasted two weeks before replacing with Billy Boats. Based on that experience, I did not go that route with the C7. But others here have praised the muffler delete without exception.

I did the 'expensive' Borla dual mode ATAK system. I hardly ever, EVER, put the exhaust into anything other then 'track' and I have even pulled fuse 42 - so there you go about the value of NPP. I have used it twice on very long road trips where ECO mode is annoying without it (AFM and NPP together).

ARH mid-length headers with hi-flow cats - I was happy once I did that change! I started with off-road x-pipe, then Borla Atak, and then ARH headers. I should have started with the headers.

Last edited by Jack Be Quick Racing; 10-09-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 PM
WarHammer619
Instructor

I was quoted 1200 today to fully remove axle-back and do a 3" setup out to quad tips. Nope, not doing it. That's ridiculous.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:42 AM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Consider headers and xpipe so you can still have NPP.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ilivas
Consider headers and xpipe so you can still have NPP.
I agree. Headers with the stock npp setup is the best of both worlds. With npp it can sound stock or beastly!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

OP, if you're still thinking about the exhaust, do the muffler delete and don't look back. I too find the CORVETTE TAX on cat back exhaust to be ridiculous. On my 2015 Mustang GT, the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back system was like $400. The same exhaust for the Vette is $1200. Total BS.

I just did the muffler delete this week. Went to (I'm luck enough to have a Summit Racing retail store nearby) Summit Racing and bought the 2.5" inlet 4" outlet dual tips (X2) part #15391 for $54.28 each. Went to a local muffler shop that was referred to me by a buddy with 4 or 5 classic cars and they did the install for $125. Now that's more like it!

On cold starts, any stray cats and many small children will **** themselves. This quiets down really quickly though. When I drove away from the muffler shop I was thinking this thing was really loud. 3 days later I can't believe the car wasn't sold this way. I had made an appointment 2 weeks ago to do this and was scarred off by talk of too much drone which I didn't want. I found one member from the So.Cal. area that had done it and had nothing but good things to say. I PM'd him to thank him for convincing me to just do it. I kept the stock mufflers in case I wanted to switch back, but there is no way I will go back. I'm 61 yrs. young and when I started the car for my wife to hear her response was "that sounds awesome". As for drone, don't have any. The member I PM'd has been a tuner for 15 yrs. and he said the HP increase from the muffler delete is higher than with any cat back system he has dyno'd.

I figured that if the muffler delete was too loud or too much drone, I'd just buy the Billy Boat PRT system. With the money I saved on exhaust, I bought a set of UHP all season tires so I could keep enjoying this awesome car. Only downside I can see is gas mileage dropping cause I can't keep my foot out of the loud pedal. Man this thing sounds good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Martman C7:
Dave_the_Dude (12-05-2017), rb185afm (10-14-2017), yaknow (07-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 muffler delete reviews needed!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:36 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I finally found a shop in the East Bay that will actually do it for a reasonable price! Muffler delete scheduled for Thursday morning.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:24 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I finally found a shop in the East Bay that will actually do it for a reasonable price! Muffler delete scheduled for Thursday morning.
Do you know if they are bending the pipes with a mandrel or if its crush bends?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:27 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Do you know if they are bending the pipes with a mandrel or if its crush bends?
For $200 im sure it will be crush. I will report back on actual cost and quality once done. I’m sure if they do a good job, more Bay Area Vettes might be going delete style.

Last edited by rb185afm; 12-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 muffler delete reviews needed!