C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

High-Po C7 vs Nismo GTR

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default High-Po C7 vs Nismo GTR

Now that Nissan said their 2015 Nismo GTR will have 595 horsepower and got a ring time of 7:08-something with the optional track-pack, do you think this will have any implications for the hi-po C7? I think an auto in the high-po version is definitely needed to compete, and I guess awd is still a non-starter?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Not IMO..I really don't care what the GTR or any other brand car has or don't have..personally I want a car that I can drive and not the other way round nothing against the GTR and to the people that like them but I want Hi Perf C7 ZR1 and I want to manually shift it.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Ring time has been questioned the Nismo GTR that ran 7.08 was not a production spec'd Nismo version...Nissan folks lied and got caught
Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by troller399
Ring time has been questioned the Nismo GTR that ran 7.08 was not a production spec'd Nismo version...Nissan folks lied and got caught
That would make sense! Is there any link online that supports this?

Regardless though I wonder if the upcoming GTR being 595 hp will have any affect on the ZR1 horsepower will be. When both models came out the GTR was 485 hp and ZR1 638, by next year the GTR will have gone up 110 hp....
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/25/n...bugring-video/
I'm a GTR fan..but the dealers were only giving 1k off MSRP when I was interested not so much any more...enjoy the read
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Achmed
That would make sense! Is there any link online that supports this?
Regardless though I wonder if the upcoming GTR being 595 hp will have any affect on the ZR1 horsepower will be. When both models came out the GTR was 485 hp and ZR1 638, by next year the GTR will have gone up 110 hp....
Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Saw the same thing on motortrend.com . Also being a former GTR I can tell you the new hipo corvette will blow it away. Maybe no it drag racing but for sure on the road course.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Not IMO..I really don't care what the GTR or any other brand car has or don't have..personally I want a car that I can drive and not the other way round nothing against the GTR and to the people that like them but I want Hi Perf C7 ZR1 and I want to manually shift it.

Sadly, I know the day is coming when the high performance vette will not be available in a traditional manual. If I had to bet, I believe we will get a C7Z available with a traditional manual and the C7 Zr1 (later in the C7 lifecycle) available with a DCT only (similar to what Porsche did with the GT3). I think they will do this to further justify the price premium we will see on the C7 Zr1 My guess is that the C7 will be our last opportunity to buy a high performance vette (ZO6/7) with a traditional manual.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by troller399
[B]

Thanks! Gives me some ammo to use against GTR fan-boys I know in person.

Wikipedia has the 7:08 GTR time I wonder if there's a way we can get that removed
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Maybe no it drag racing but for sure on the road course.
Maybe on a short drag race...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

Sadly, I know the day is coming when the high performance vette will not be available in a traditional manual. If I had to bet, I believe we will get a C7Z available with a traditional manual and the C7 Zr1 (later in the C7 lifecycle) available with a DCT only (similar to what Porsche did with the GT3). I think they will do this to further justify the price premium we will see on the C7 Zr1 My guess is that the C7 will be our last opportunity to buy a high performance vette (ZO6/7) with a traditional manual.
I would welcome any news of hi-po Vette(s) having an auto, as that means that I will likely get a hi-po version down the road. If it continues to only be offered in manual I won't buy it.

Re: the choice of offering a manual versus having auto only, choice is good and all, but then you have drivers who aren't able to launch or shift well who get high 12's for example or worse on a drag strip in a Stingray followed by a bunch of comments obout how their mustang or srt8 does better....plus who knows how often a mediocre driver loses in a street race with a manual C7 versus an auto something else, and the other driver would think and tell his friends, "I beat a Corvette, they aren't that fast," so for overall perception of the Corvette it would greatly help to eventually get rid of the manual.

I have never driven a manual anything except for when my friend tried teaching me manual on his 5th gen Camaro SS, and I don't intend to drive one either.

Maybe its one of those older versus younger crowd differences.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:45 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Could care less if the newest GTR did 0-60 in 1.0 seconds, the quarter in 7.9@160, ran the 'Ring in 6 minutes, 30 second and sold for $99K, for I will not own a plug ugly GTR.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian

I agree and yes it is sad and that's when I hold on to my Hi Perf C7 manual and the last Vette I'll ever buy...
Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Could care less if the newest GTR did 0-60 in 1.0 seconds, the quarter in 7.9@160, ran the 'Ring in 6 minutes, 30 second and sold for $99K, for I will not own a plug ugly GTR.
Amen!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Nismo should have a huge asterisk next to its listing, until it's determined how or if those parts make it onto customer cars.

Re: the choice of offering a manual versus having auto only, choice is good and all, but then you have drivers who aren't able to launch or shift well who get high 12's for example or worse on a drag strip in a Stingray followed by a bunch of comments obout how their mustang or srt8 does better....plus who knows how often a mediocre driver loses in a street race with a manual C7 versus an auto something else, and the other driver would think and tell his friends, "I beat a Corvette, they aren't that fast," so for overall perception of the Corvette it would greatly help to eventually get rid of the manual.
That sounds incredibly insecure. Are most Corvette owners really that insecure?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

I would welcome any news of hi-po Vette(s) having an auto, as that means that I will likely get a hi-po version down the road. If it continues to only be offered in manual I won't buy it.

I have never driven a manual anything except for when my friend tried teaching me manual on his 5th gen Camaro SS, and I don't intend to drive one either.

I hope you are joking about the bolded part...do you really care about such situations?

I am 33 years old. I really could care less about the drag strip. I understand that some do however. To me, a sports car should be so much more. Yes, the DCT will make the ZR1 faster, but we are talking tenths of seconds, maybe 2 or 3 around the track (at what point do we visit the law of diminishing marginal returns in sports cars? I think we are there...). The satisfaction gained by manually sifting through a proper traditional gearbox of a sports car far outweighs the bragging rights I can achieve by going 2 seconds quicker around a track. Having said this, as a corvette fan, I would like to see a DCT C7 ZR1 produced to completely destroy the competition worse than it already does... I just could not buy one...Give me a manual C7 ZO6 instead.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 11-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

WTF??? "So for the overall perception of the Corvette it would greatly help to eventually get rid of the manual."

Get notified of new replies

To High-Po C7 vs Nismo GTR

Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 PM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gtr Is A very Capable And Fast Car....I Would Buy One If They Would Just Make It Look Better....My C7 Might NOt Be faster , But It Looks Much Better...I Parked Next To One, And The Gtr Is Massive Compared To The C7....
Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

the only way a hipo auto Corvette can compete is with a DCT, the automatics that GM has now is akin to me putting an auto tranny in 1 and pushing it up to 2 and 3 and 4 etc........that being said unless GM sources out a DCT from a good manufacturer and even if they did I wouldn't a first gen DCT, it would be at least 4 years before they, whoever, got it correct for the Corvette.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I value your opinion but, at those specs I'll enjoy my GTR.

Seriously though, most tests by accomplished drivers find the Nissan a bit sanitary.

Quick Reply: High-Po C7 vs Nismo GTR