C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

slushbox supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury
I'll test drive the new 8 speed automatic that the chief engineer of corvette says is equal to or better than the best the competition offers.

If he is correct...I'll buy...if not...then its M7 for me.

I'm betting the A8 transmission kicks @ss and takes no prisioners.

The corvette team always delivers when it comes to performance and feel.

I have confidence in their latest efforts.

The test drive will confirm my expectations ...or not..

Time will tell. So will track times they post up when the time comes.

I'm sure all hell will break loose on this forum when those track times hit. It always does and as usual corvette will be a winner.

So are we as customers..
Drive a true DCT car like an M3, M6, Porsche TT and you will realize how far superior they are to a torque converted autobox. There is no time between shifts at all because the gears overlap each other. One going out and one going in. I still prefer a 7 speed manual because it' more fun but GM should not embarrass themselves by putting a traditional auto in it.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 355Spider
but GM should not embarrass themselves by putting a traditional auto in it.
Find them a DCT that fits in their packaging and torque constraints, and I'm sure they'll consider it. They've already looked, and one doesn't exist.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Drive a true DCT car like an M3, M6, Porsche TT and you will realize how far superior they are to a torque converted autobox. There is no time between shifts at all because the gears overlap each other. One going out and one going in. I still prefer a 7 speed manual because it' more fun but GM should not embarrass themselves by putting a traditional auto in it.

I'll ask again: What is your experience in a C7 Z06 with A8?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me get this correct. You are saying that there is zero time between shifts on a car with dual clutch. The F1 guys need that set up because I am sure thy would love to go from 30ms to zero ms.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Mark Reuss says that the target transmission feel was the Porsche PDK...

and that alone makes me suggest we not knock what we don't know. Traditionally the corvette team of engineers exceed performance of its competitors. I see no reason to expect anything less.

Makes sense to wait until any of us can actually test drive the car and hopefully we would and could get information on the new C7 A8 Z06 performs on a race course....

Everything else about corvette has been award winning for 2014...

I see very little reason to expect any less from new developments on the 2015 C7 and C7 Z06...

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-18-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 32valves
Why wouldn't GM just put a DCT in the Z06 instead of trying to make it look like one? They are obviously embarrassed about this or they wouldn't try to make it look like a DCT. I don't get it...DCTs have all the benefits of a manual and automatic at the same time. Slushboxes don't belong in supercars, period.
Go and read what the engineer said.Shifts faster than a porsche pdk dct.Thats all we need to know.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:01 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
Go and read what the engineer said.Shifts faster than a porsche pdk dct.Thats all we need to know.

Maybe... but they were talking upshifts. Downshifts are as (or more) important for track work and that wasn't mentioned. This is also where conventional autos historically suffered.

Having said that, we is a wait and see situation and I'm personally hopeful that ALL of the performance characteristics of the 8 speed will compare to DCT transmissions and not just the upshift speed.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM
mike0804
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Mercedes C63 AMG, Mercedes SL65 AMG. Hall Chaparrell. The pig is turning into a cheetah. It is not a dog but, in time, will eat the dog for lunch.

A 50 pound converter weighs less than the second wet clutch and gear set in a DCT.

The planetary gear set will always be lighter and more compact than the dual clutch kludge. Porsche runs a DCT because they can't build a good TC automatic, (see Servomatic, Tiptronic). Neither can Ferrari. They are much harder to design and build correctly than a DCT. That is why GM and ZF have been building autos for almost everybody else for years.

@dcbingaman Dude, save your strength. It's no use here. I gave up a long time ago. (See Prov 26:4)

Quick Reply: slushbox supercar?