C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
HBJG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Warrior
The automatic will sell more cars and this is truly the bottom line. More choices are always good.
and the Targa roof just added the "gravy" to keep those units moving. At least GM kept the 7M for those who want to "row their own," unlike Porsche eliminating it from their GT3, Turbo & Turbo S models.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
First thing the wife said when I told her about the auto... "ooh, and I can take it to work and...."

At that exact moment, if only for a brief snippet of time I new the c7 z06 would be the baine of my existence. and then it subsided and all was well. I think...
I will be sure to let my wife know that the Automatic costs twice the price of the manual, because we'll need two.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM
c6rod
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Automatic

Love it. The only reason I got a C6 GS was because I couldn't get a Z06 with an automatic. They will definitely sell more Z06's and that is essential for GM to continue offering such a low volume car.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsquat
I have never owned a Z because I refuse to ever purchase another car with a manual transmission. My choice. I didn't cry about it and bought what was available to me though I admit to being a little jealous of the Z car owners I would meet. Now GM has made it possible for me and I expect a lot of other like me to purchase and enjoy their halo car. The morons can call me all the names they want but I am pretty sure proving ones manliness has nothing to do with shifting a transmission. As for fun, driving fast while drinking my tea and eating a sandwhich is a lot more fun and incidentally takes a lot more skill than pushing in a pedal and moving a lever around. I'll be driving through the twisties with 625+ hp and greasy fingers. God Bless America and good Italian deli's everywhere.
You get an "auto" and I'll get a manual. You'll be happy, I'll be happy, and GM will be happy.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
How do you think DCTs or automated manuals shift??? Magical pixie dust? It takes energy provided by the engine to make those shifts. In spite of your inability to think of how they accomplish their shifts, there are additional parasitic losses over their manual counterparts. A DCT has multi-plate wet clutches hydraulically applied/released just like an automatic therefore it has a hydraulic pump just like an automatic.

Once again, this is a modern day automatic with many electronic controls and that applies to the pump too. The 8L90 has a vane pump with volume and pressure controls. When the computer senses low demand for fluid, the cam ring for the pump is shifted by a small piston which reduces the volume. When the computer senses a low demand for pressure, there is a computer controlled solenoid valve which reduces the pressure. In the world of hydraulics, the HP required to drive a pump is given by the general equation HP=PSI*GPM*.0007...reduce PSI and GPM and you reduce the parasitic losses. Once again, this is not an automatic from the '60s, this is a very modern computer controlled transmission...welcome to the 21st Century. The parasitic losses will be very close to a DCT if not better.

In spite of your claim otherwise, you are still very close minded. I will say I see the door creaking open...open it all the way, get some very technical books, and read about modern day automatics.
I don't know why people are knee jerk dismissing the new GM automatic, because it isn't a DCT. Let's wait and see what GM has come up with first. If they can pull off a transmission with the shift performance of a DCT on the track, while still retaining a torque converter for on the road day to day shifting refinement and longevity, their automatic will have risen to the top of all automatics, DCT or otherwise.

Michael
Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 PM
tjsears
Instructor

I don't think people here understand the concepts. It's really quite simple:

A manual transmission is great for rowing gears, and feeling "one with the road"

A automatic/semi automatic transmission (PDK, DCT, SMG, R-Tronic, etc) is proven to be the best for road courses and racing in general. And keeping with that thought, GM follows the lineage of the Z06 as a endurance racing car. Quicker shifts, faster lap times.

It's just a matter of what do YOU want to do with the car? Take it grocery shopping, and car shows? Sure get the 7M.

You want to run on the track? Get the A8 option.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
I will be sure to let my wife know that the Automatic costs twice the price of the manual, because we'll need two.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving high speeds with the top down (or I guess off will work in a pinch) is amazing. It's a completely different driving experience to have an amazing car and be able to experience the out doors at the same time. The 427 droptop was the closest thing I've seen GM come close to in terms of perfection (IMHO) in recent years.

Perhaps, the auto on this type of car isn't really true to its roots - but - in all fairness .. it gives my wife the ability to drive it. Something she could never do with my other one, we tried teaching her and it just didn't stick. Which I thought was sad, because it's such an awesome experience!

I had been holding off, waiting for the convertibles to come in more supply but since seeing this - I'll probably wait another year and after I test the 8-spd just to be sure - I'll be ordering it 3LT z06 z07 8-spd.

Cheers.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tjsears
I don't think people here understand the concepts. It's really quite simple:

A manual transmission is great for rowing gears, and feeling "one with the road"

A automatic/semi automatic transmission (PDK, DCT, SMG, R-Tronic, etc) is proven to be the best for road courses and racing in general. And keeping with that thought, GM follows the lineage of the Z06 as a endurance racing car. Quicker shifts, faster lap times.

It's just a matter of what do YOU want to do with the car? Take it grocery shopping, and car shows? Sure get the 7M.

You want to run on the track? Get the A8 option.
I can't agree with this, unless you are in head to head competition class. Almost no one takes a totally stock car to compete anyway. Manuals do fantastic on the track, with someone who knows how to drive one.

Michael
Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
You get an "auto" and I'll get a manual. You'll be happy, I'll be happy, and GM will be happy.

This is a good thing for GM. There are a lot of people that can't drive a stick or don't want to but do want a Z06. Choice is a good thing. If you don't want to drive an auto, then buy the manual. There was almost no chance I would buy a Z06 if my only choice was a stick, even less if it was a stick and no open air driving.

I want to replace my C5 and prior to this update, a new Z06 was not on my list. At best, I would've bought a used C6 427 convertible. Now, I will consider waiting a bit longer and going to Z06 route.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:49 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I would never buy an automatic in any vehicle unless I one day have some physical incapacity that leaves me unable to operate a manual. I do think it's good that it's offered though.

It seems that there are becoming fewer and fewer manual available as the years pass. I feel more connected to the vehicle and have more sensory experience than with an auto. To me, an auto is more like riding than driving. I'd rather ride shotgun with somebody driving a manual than to drive an auto, but that's just me.

I don't want those who prefer an automatic to be excluded from the joy of driving something such as the 2015 Z06, but the trend is by far, that manuals are the endangered species, not automatics. I so very, very much hope the day never comes when manuals are entirely a thing of the past, but I doubt that'll happen in my lifetime. Eventually, they probably will fade. Ever really look at and contemplate a steering wheel? It's really a primitive contraption considering the state of present day technology, not to mention what state-of-the-art tech will be in 20 years. Eventually there'll just be a joystick, all of us old farts will be dead, and both manual and steering wheels will only be in 'oldies' vehicles and the Smithsonian, just like those old air conditioning thingies from the 1940's that look like a big wind sock and people hung outside their window.

Today's 'commonplace' is the future's 'quaint'.

Last edited by o2baZR1; 01-14-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by o2baZR1
I would never buy an automatic in any vehicle unless I one day have some physical incapacity that leaves me unable to operate a manual. I do think it's good that it's offered though.

It seems that there are becoming fewer and fewer manual available as the years pass. I feel more connected to the vehicle and have more sensory experience than with an auto. To me, an auto is more like riding than driving. I'd rather ride shotgun with somebody driving a manual than to drive an auto, but that's just me.

I don't want those who prefer an automatic to be excluded from the joy of driving something such as the 2015 Z06, but the trend is by far, that manuals are the endangered species, not automatics. I so very, very much hope the day never comes when manuals are entirely a thing of the past, but I doubt that'll happen in my lifetime. Eventually, they probably will fade. Ever really look at and contemplate a steering wheel? It's really a primitive contraption considering the state of present day technology, not to mention what state-of-the-art tech will be in 20 years. Eventually there'll just be a joystick, all of us old farts will be dead, and both manual and steering wheels will only be in 'oldies' vehicles and the Smithsonian, just like those old air conditioning thingies from the 1940's that look like a big wind sock and people hung outside their window.

Ferrari and Lamborghini no longer even offer manuals in their cars.

The demand is just not there.

Like you, I love manuals. And I love my vettes. They have been my most beloved daily drivers.

And I think I'm going with the auto this time as I'm just driving my vette so much lately! I love it!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

I loved my PDK on my Porsche so if this new trans by GM can shift faster than the PDK YAHOOOO!!! I will have one as soon as they become available. Way to go GM..
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Being the current owner of a'11 C6 Grand Sport Vert. auto. 6spd paddle shift, a '13 427 60th Ann. Collector Ed. manual 6 sp. and a '13 Camaro ZL1 6L90E auto paddle shift, I am very satisfied to learn the h.p./tq. output estimates, the removable targa top and the 8 sp. auto trans. option. Option is the key here. For the so-called purists spewing their criticism regarding auto transmissions and the baseless nonsense about the automatic may shift up quick but it is "probably slow" on the downshift. I think the only thing slow is the critic who does not have the facts on their side, just deeply engrained bias. If they want a manual trans. buy one. Please do not bitch about something that many of us have wanted for years. Fact is many of us can't buy these more expensive, higher-performing Corvettes until we get older for one reason or another. After knee replacements and arthritic issues culminating a thirty-four year law enforcement career, I welcome the open top ZO6 with an auto option. I harken back to the days when I bought my first Corvette, a '69 L71 427, T22 4 sp. convertible for $3500. Every Corvette I own is a better performer than the previous. Who really knows why the haters enlighten us with their vitriol. Personally I think the haters all work at those trendy "mainstream" auto mags and they should stick to driving their Porsches, Ferraris etc. at least twice the price. Most all top manufacturers converted their performance models to auto trannys with steering wheel shifters too. Again, for two or three times the price. Even if the Corvette is a tenth, a hundredth or even a few seconds slower than one of the "Euro" or "Asian" supercars, I remain loyal to the "American" Bowtie technology.

Last edited by ROBWILKER; 01-24-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 PM
mike69440
Advanced

Default JoyStick?

Originally Posted by o2baZR1

Joystick vs. steering wheel, oh that would be fun hitting a big bump in a 1 G turn and having your arm bounces around while trying to control the car. At least with a wheel, tou gave something to hold on to.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

auto hi po gm will see a crap ton just like it was hard as heck to find my 09 cts-v 6sp manual, they only made 500 some manuals that year the rest were autos.

these will sell good in an auto if the cts-v is any indicator.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
PUNISHERC6
Heel & Toe

I like the Z with the paddles, as the owner of a 6spd C6, I love my stick but every now and again I thought it would be nice to relax a lil bit...and then I drove a R8 V10 with the DCT.....I'll take mine in tiger shark grey please since they're discontinuing my favorite color Cyber grey!

Get notified of new replies

To Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

this new generation of autos is something else. one of my friends has a GTR and honestly, after seeing the level of badassery in that transmission i can finally say i wouldn't miss a manual. that car shifts so quick there's no way you could be anywhere as fast in a conventional gearbox
Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 PM
gtrguy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
this new generation of autos is something else. one of my friends has a GTR and honestly, after seeing the level of badassery in that transmission i can finally say i wouldn't miss a manual. that car shifts so quick there's no way you could be anywhere as fast in a conventional gearbox
yes i have gtr and its very good transmission and the porsche and ferrari ones are even better still. but these are all dual clutch and the vette is getting a torque converter automatic. very different. i know many are saying it will be as good as dct but i doubt that. have driven the zf auto that is best out now and it is still a slush box in comparison
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vettesweetnos
All the arguing and bickering about manual vs auto for no reason. It is great to have the choice because now I will be purchasing this Z. And for a reason that no one ever seems to think of. At 6'6" 260 lbs. broad shoulders and big legs and feet I can finally drive a Z06. I fit comfortably in the c6 Z but did not have the foot room to shift proper with size 16 shoes. Now I do not have to worry about that. Thank you GM.
Finally! Someone who understands the plight of the BIG man!. I too find it difficult to drive most manuals (although I enjoy it) Because of constantly banging my knees on the steering wheel every time I use the clutch pedal. At 6'4" and 255 lbs I would buy the auto just because it would make driving much easier and, for me, more fun.

Quick Reply: Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing