C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I am taking a wait and see approach on the auto. If GM can overcome the dependability, shift timing and down shift rev matching issues it may be a winner. I have been a fan of DCTs for several years now and auto has a lot to do if it wants to match the performance of a DCT. I consider DCTs to be just another version of a manual transmission with some differences and some clear advantages. From a driver standpoint the clutch is gone so the left foot can be used for other activities required to get the car around a track faster, the shift lever moved from the console back to the steering column/wheel (the differences between paddle shift controls and the stick coming out of the floor are the size and shape) the function is exactly the same (driver control of the gear change). The advantages of the DCT over the manual are the quickness of the shifts, almost perfect downshift rev matching, quicker initiation of the shifts since you only flick a paddle Vs move a lever and the ability to be run in automated manual mode which makes it nice in traffic.

Bill

for more important
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 AM
2SlowinTO
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Z06 that can be driven in bumper to bumper traffic with the roof off!

Awesome!!

But if I was buying it as a track only toy car, I still would go stick for the fun factor
Old 01-25-2014, 01:59 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I am taking a wait and see approach on the auto. If GM can overcome the dependability, shift timing and down shift rev matching issues it may be a winner. I have been a fan of DCTs for several years now and auto has a lot to do if it wants to match the performance of a DCT. I consider DCTs to be just another version of a manual transmission with some differences and some clear advantages. From a driver standpoint the clutch is gone so the left foot can be used for other activities required to get the car around a track faster, the shift lever moved from the console back to the steering column/wheel (the differences between paddle shift controls and the stick coming out of the floor are the size and shape) the function is exactly the same (driver control of the gear change). The advantages of the DCT over the manual are the quickness of the shifts, almost perfect downshift rev matching, quicker initiation of the shifts since you only flick a paddle Vs move a lever and the ability to be run in automated manual mode which makes it nice in traffic.

Bill
Serious question: such as?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Da_Whistler
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've driven the PDK equipped 911 then you know that its an amazing transmission. An auto no matter how quick or smooth the shifts will match that feel and directness. Its just a fact...

Sadly some Z06 Auto buyers just want to have a Z06. That's nice however the auto/lift off top merely serves to change the core of what the car is. That being said I will reserve final say until a GT3 vs Z06 Auto test is done. That will tell the tale
Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I could understand all the complaining if GM did not offer the car with a manual transmission for those who want it but it makes absolutely no sense that anyone would care if GM offers an option you don't like/want. Just don't opt for it, that's why they call it an "option".

I would not opt for a yellow car with red interior but it does not upset me that GM offers the option for those who want it.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da_Whistler
If you've driven the PDK equipped 911 then you know that its an amazing transmission. An auto no matter how quick or smooth the shifts will match that feel and directness. Its just a fact...

Sadly some Z06 Auto buyers just want to have a Z06. That's nice however the auto/lift off top merely serves to change the core of what the car is. That being said I will reserve final say until a GT3 vs Z06 Auto test is done. That will tell the tale
Considering every supercar manufacturer but the Corvette and Viper ditched the traditional manual, aren't they in the same boat? Don't those "buyers just want to have...?" At least the Z06 still offers a manual and everyone else has open air open air options too so I don't understand that logic.

No to mention, the actual action of the driver performing shifts with a DCT and the 8L90 are exactly the same; pull the right paddle to up shift and pull the left paddle to down shift. Both are paddle shifted and both allow for full auto mode. How many Porsche drivers actually pull the paddles every time they are in the car? I don't think we need a study to know that most people probably go full auto and let the transmission shift for them. In that sense, there is no difference in transmissions. How are you able to justify everyone else but not the Corvette? Plus, you can get the manual if you prefer that, so it's basically a moot point.

It should be noted that the Z06 is not positioned like a GT3 or Z/28. It is not a stripped down club racer. It is a street car first and foremost with track capabilities, not the other way around. Thus, street car features are expected. Every super car is track capable but the street is where they spend 99% of their time. The "core" of the Z06 stands for exhilarating performance and that's what we'll get. Options like paddles and open air are expected in the supercar world, not shunned. The Z06 is merely catching up to supercar expectations.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
I could understand all the complaining if GM did not offer the car with a manual transmission for those who want it but it makes absolutely no sense that anyone would care if GM offers an option you don't like/want. Just don't opt for it, that's why they call it an "option".

I would not opt for a yellow car with red interior but it does not upset me that GM offers the option for those who want it.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Left foot breaking.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Like SBC mentioned, left-foot braking. Left foot braking enables smoothness, since you don't have to drop-throttle when you hit the brakes. Lifting your right foot off of the throttle to brake generates a heavy engine braking torque on the rear wheels, which can disrupt the chassis and create snap oversteer.

You can also modulate the brake pedal with the left foot, and at the same time keep a variable amount of throttle engaged. This modulation varies the effective braking torque split between the front and rear wheels (since the throttle acts against the rear brakes only), and can move a vehicle from slight oversteer on corner entry , to neutral, to slight understeer.

Very few people are good at heel-toeing a manual car. Even fewer are good at left-foot braking, but the benefits are tremendous.

You can still left-foot brake a manual tranny, but usually only consistently well on corners which do not require a downshift.

Last edited by RedLS6; 01-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I'm sure you can swap one of those beauties into a C6 and have money left over after you make the cutout in the hood.

Looks great:

Wiki says it used to rust and longevity was measured in hours.
During WWII, The PT boats(like the one JFK commanded) used the Crosley engine to power the onboard electrical generator. They held up well enough for the Navy to use them. They were also popular in small aircraft(private) after the war. That says a lot for the engine.

My aunt bought the car new in 1946 and drove it several times a year from Little Rock, Arkansas to New York City, and back, until 1961, when I bought it from her. She was a RN and the little car always got her to work at the hospital. I beat the **** out of that car for three years during college, including power shifting into reverse from first gear at 6,000 RPM a bunch of times. Was trying for second gear, but sometimes I would hit reverse instead.

A friend(who had a 1958 Corvette) borrowed the car one day, and he whipped it into a gas station(like he would his Corvette) and the little Crosley fell over on it's side. Two guys in the station came running out, and they put the car back on it's wheels. Damage....scraped the paint on the door hinges, scraped the chrome on the door handle and cracked the sliding door glass. Don put some gas in the car and drove off.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-02-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It's simple enough...If you want a paddle shift auto, buy it...if you don't want it, don't buy it.

I personally think either stick or auto will be ok as long as the performance is strong in either.

Quick Reply: Here Comes the Hate: Why an Automatic Z06 is a Good Thing