C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Don't You Call That Thing a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Don't You Call That Thing a Z06

A good article to read that has a lot of truth, but in my opinion, the Z06 needed to evolve. And GM was smart in keeping the iconic name alive.

Oh, GM. You really did it. You gave in to the perfectly understandable desire to create what’s best described as a C7-V, or maybe a ZR0.9. Don’t blame you, Mr. Reuss likes these kinds of battlewagons and you guys are so good at supercharging that small-block I’m surprised there isn’t some sort of weird Silverado variant out there for the hat-without-cattle crowd. The car’s going to be great, it will be fast, it will be the winner of Motor Trend tests for sure and maybe even some of the others.

But you shouldn’t have called a Z06, and I’m surprised you don’t know why.

Let me introduce myself to you, by the way, just in case we haven’t met. I’m Jack Baruth. 42 years old, divorced, one child, with the occasional excess dollar rattling around in my pocket. Strictly speaking, I’ve never quite lined up with the Corvette owner profile; I got my first 911 when I was thirty and I went straight to the German super-sedans after that, with minor diversions into Panthers/bubble wagons/Boxsters/Saabs/whatevs. But right now, in the autumn of my life, you and I are as close to having a Corvette conversation as we’re ever going to be.

I’m not a total idiot, so I know that the Corvette’s been a performance and racetrack leader since 1984. I also know that the tired old chest-hair-and-gold-chain stereotypes associated with the Vette haven’t had a widespread basis in reality since about 1980. But I have a genuine problem buying a Corvette, because a Corvette is a car for old men. I am an old man, which is why it’s important to me that I not buy a car for old men.

There’s a world that’s been built around the Corvette. Bloomington Gold. Quaker Steak&Lube. The Harley-and-Corvette nights you see so many bars put on between the cherished coasts. You see hundreds of guys at these events. They’re all driving automatic-transmission convertibles. They’re all fifty-five, the age that frightens me more than the prospect of an early PTCA. They’re bald, or stringy-haired, and they dress like Jimmy Buffet.

Intellectually, I respect their enthusiasm and I’m glad they’re enjoying a great lifestyle built around a great automobile. Emotionally, I’d rather deep-throat a Smith 29 than be mistaken for one of them. The minute my younger friends or the (somewhat) younger women I’m dating can peg me as one of those guys, I might as well stay at home Saturday night and watch HGTV. The age signals, the educational signals, the cultural signals — all 100% wrong for me, brother. The BMW M3 might have an equally loathsome customer base but I’d rather be mistaken for a tribal-tatted Russian senior gangster than friendly Mr. Johnson from the old drywall company down on I Made My Money The Manual Labor Way.

Bottom line is this: you’re not going to catch me dead in a Corvette. Forget about it.

But.

Starting in 1999 with the FRC, and in 2001 with the Z06, you did something different. You made a Corvette that was

uglier
lower-featured
lighter
faster
more hardcore
immediately identifiable as such

and the best part was that, by buying that Corvette, I had a justification for having one. “Oh yeah, this isn’t a regular Corvette, it’s manual only, no convertible, fewer options, more dangerous and tricky to drive…” Sure, the 28-year-old barista at Starbucks didn’t understand, but the 24-year-old guy cleaning the toilets there did understand and his pure desire for the car would eventually filter into Miss Triple Latte’s consciousness and stamp the car with not totally for old people.

For twelve years, the Z06 badge hasn’t just meant “a faster Corvette”. Who cares about that? It means a different Corvette. It means “one that the old guys don’t like”. Let me it make it more plain. You know what a Les Paul is? It’s the classic Gibson guitar that can be had in “R9 Custom” form so it’s just like the guitar played by Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers and Peter Green and Michael Bloomfield and all the guys old men love. I have, well, let’s just say I have at least one. Here it is.

Looks kind of the same, right? This is a Gibson BFG Gator. What does BFG mean? It means (Something) ****in’ Guitar. It has a cutoff switch for A7X tunes. (Don’t worry about A7X right now.) It’s deliberately raw, unfinished, scuzzy, a middle finger to the idea of vintage restored perfection in the first picture.

I have one of these as well, and when young people come to my studio, they will run past $100,000 worth of guitars to pick up the BFG Gator and jam on it. What’s important to them is that

It
Cannot
Possibly
Be
Mistaken
For
Some
That
Some
Old
Guy
Wanted
When
He
Was
A
Kid

Do you feel me now? The Z06 was your BFG Gator. It was a Corvette where the hardcore parts were mandatory. When you rolled up behind a Z06 you knew this wasn’t an automatic or a droptop or a special-stitching edition. This was a altar on which the bloody sacrificial ritual of speed could be performed. The Z06 badge meant I AM NOT SOME OLD MAN GOING TO THE ICE CREAM STORE.

And the C6 Z06? With the special frame? And the big motor? And the notoriously tricky handling? Even better. Now it was even more offensive to traditional Corvette drivers. And that makes people like me, who live in mortal fear of being identified as such, want one even more.

When the 427 droptop came out, you guys had the good sense not to call it a Z06 Convertible. You knew, then, that the name was important. It still is.

The new Z06 is a pavement-rippling monster and blah blah blah but I don’t want it in the slightest and the reason is, frankly, because it will no longer identify me as the punk rocker of Corvette owners. Maybe in ten years I’ll be more comfortable with advancing middle age and that eight-speed auto will sound relaxing and the pop-off top will be fun in the sun. But in the meantime, GM, you’ve changed that badge. From one that meant “our kind of Corvette owner” to “another Corvette owner with money for the upgrade.”

Take care — jb

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t-thing-a-z06/

Last edited by LFZ; 01-14-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

That article was written by someone that needs to grow up ......... And give up the mind altering drugs along the way.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

I guess this passes as automotive journalism these days? Give me a break.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i get it, but i still want one! is it 2015 yet?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If that guy wants a hardcore no option car, he is free to strip it down himself and have one without the added parts that will make this car fun to daily drive.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I continue to love how P owners can saddle the Vette with the auto tranny BS. They can't even buy a P car with a real tranny any more. Ferrari and Lambo are the same way, but I don't hear them complaining, only these P car types.

Anyway, I am happy GM is offering the Z and if it takes a auto with FASTER shift times than the P car auto tranny, then so be it. The profit needs to continue to keep the Vette alive. I hope GM puts the Z hardware in a Vert, as well, even if they call it something else.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM
91Z28350
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the dude has some serious self esteem issues.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Well at least GM is wise enough to understand few dude would give up few tenths of second shifting speed to a much more fun stick shift! Well done GM and a targa top option!!!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original article is a kind of funny way of thinking but do see his point a bit and am 55.
I find in my "old age" that I like things that didn't matter a much when younger. Back then was more into hardcore stuff like pro street cars. They rode rough, were stripped out, got terrible mileage, handled only good in straight line, etc.
Now prefer to drive a car with good seats and a nice ride .And live in place with lots of curvy mountain roads so like it to handle as well and still like to have some power there . I guess some would call it excessive power like buddies that are driving their Mazda 3s and other equally to me boring stuff. I may not use that 500 or 600 hp but I like it to be there. And once in awhile might even stab that go pedal being careful to watch for The LAW. That's the beauty of the newer cars. You can have a nice little switch to go between tour and race mode. You can have your heated seats and air conditioning and get decent mileage even with 500 or 600 hp. You can even have automatic if you are sick of driving manuals.

Did they ruin the z06 by having an auto option? Don't think so. Should it be some stripped down hard core type of car.. don't think so.
As said the guy wants that buy the manual z06 and gut it down. Take out the air and stereo and power seats ,heck just have one seat.

Or buy something more hardcore like an older viper with no nanny systems to save your *** or a cobra kit car maybe.

But this 55 year old guy will have a c7 z06 in his stable in next year or two. And wouldn't likely have got one if they still only came in manual form. Kudos to Gm for moving forward. Auto and removeable top are both welcome to me and sure other people from looks of the auto poll on this forum. For you anti auto hardcore guys you can buy c6 z06 or zr1 for pretty cheap now.

Last edited by ALLANB; 01-14-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Idiot.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:55 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

An automatic and removable roof will sell more units.. bottom line.
The guy that wrote that buys **** to gain approval/impress others.. Oh well.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM
C7Z
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why I just read that! I could have been looking at this pic!
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
While some of his comments are entertaining, maybe even borderline funny, I was going to say the same thing- he has issues. The image thing is everything to him. Who gives a sh!!!t. Give me a purpose built car- the purpose being to be silly fast in all aspects of automotive performance.....maybe even embarrass a bunch of much more expensive high performance cars. If it happens to look really badazz in the process, I'm OK with that If the beginning price point is around $80-85K, the only remaining question is- what color do I want?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
That dude had no idea what he was talking about.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

All these people talking about hardcore track cars/etc should just go buy an ariel atom, ktm x-bow, etc. Yet you don't see those cars selling like hot cakes. People claim they want hardcore but their wallets say otherwise.

Car companies are smart not building for enthusiast and hardcore people. That is what aftermarket is for. Let people mod and have fun building a track car if that is what they want and please the masses that want a fun car to drive.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Thank God they ruined it for that guy. I normally don't give a rats *** what people think of Corvette people or me but that guy can keep his porsche and keep worrying what people think of him. Holy crap.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't You Call That Thing a Z06

Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Some strong opinions in this thread!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:15 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I can understand alot of where he's coming from, I'm sooooo glad I don't have those self esteem issues.

The C6 was a game changer in my mind. Now the C7? And the new Z?

Hellz yeah I'm getting one. 'Cause I can and 'cause I want to.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Waste ot time reading this daitribe

The guy is a blowhard Jamoke.

Like a give a hoot about his big fing guitar........

Quick Reply: Don't You Call That Thing a Z06