C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn
So Jim we barely saw the Z06 unveiled and you're saying there will definitely be a ZR1? I would hate to invest in a Z06 to find out GM releasing a ZR1 one year after.

Now on a sidenote do you think its even possible to get the weight of the c7 Z06 down to 3000lbs?
Didn't keeks just say in a thread the other day that the *real* hot rod version is coming in 2016?

His track record is very good around here.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If GM announced the ZR1 was coming out next year, would anyone buy a C7 Z06 this year? 2-3 years from now GM can come out with a ZR1 and announce that it was created due to customer demand, lol

The LSA motor was always a baby LS9. The LT4 looks like an updated LSA, versus an LS9 replacement.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 PM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I am pretty sure there will be a ZR1 when the stingray and Z06 buzz dies down. Doesn't affect my Z06 buying decision at all.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by uxojerry
If GM announced the ZR1 was coming out next year, would anyone buy a C7 Z06 this year? 2-3 years from now GM can come out with a ZR1 and announce that it was created due to customer demand, lol

The LSA motor was always a baby LS9. The LT4 looks like an updated LSA, versus an LS9 replacement.
2018. Buy the Z06. I know what's coming, but the Z06 is the one, for now.

I don't think GM should ever stop stretching the envelope. I forsee a day, probably long after I'm gone where 800 HP is commonplace.

The problem GM has is keeping the power tidy, and on the pavement. I know the difficulty well.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3

Chevrolet Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has told Autoblog there are currently no plans to introduce a C7 Corvette ZR1. What a cop-out. This is almost as bad as hearing all future holidays are canceled. Here’s what Autoblog is reporting: “Introducing a ZR1 halo car above the upcoming Z06, which is due at the end […]

More on the blog.
Tadge is a giant douchebag
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
someone agrees with me
Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^ Bingo with Halltech ^^^

C'mon guys it's all marketing, would you rather hear back when the C7 was introduced for GM to say, "we are going to release the base car in 2014, z06 for the 2015 MY and then a zr1 shortly after in 20xx"

What would that do to sales to both the Z06 but especially the base model - right you are - fewer sales!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 AM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
^^^ Bingo with Halltech ^^^

C'mon guys it's all marketing, would you rather hear back when the C7 was introduced for GM to say, "we are going to release the base car in 2014, z06 for the 2015 MY and then a zr1 shortly after in 20xx"

What would that do to sales to both the Z06 but especially the base model - right you are - fewer sales!!!
GM handlers can announce with a straight face no C7 " ZR1" ( because it would be badged as " L88 " )
Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 AM
oicw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
I don't think GM should ever stop stretching the envelope. I forsee a day, probably long after I'm gone where 800 HP is commonplace.
Making 800hp is not hard, C6 ZR1 can do it with some bolt-ons, and so can GT500s. But putting it down reliably, consistently, and in all (reasonable) weather, is another story.

And I don't mean a set of r-comps pre-warmed on a perfect track, but normal tires at street driving temperature.

Therefore, what I'd like to see (or dream about), is an advanced AWD, with active front, center, and rear diffs, and 700+ hp. Or some super hybrid (918/P1/LaFerrari) but with traction motors on the front axle.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:38 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Once again the ZR1 was a commercial flop. Why can't people see this. Yes a few of them sold, a little over 4000 over it's lifetime. The Z06 sold 5 times as many over it's lifetime. All the ZR1 was a way for GM to drum up attention to try to generate interest in the flagging sales figures for the Z06 and Base when the ZR1 was revealed. The GS was far better at increasing sales.

If they need to release a ZR1 that isn't a good thing for the Corvette because it means sales are down. There isn't enough demand for GM to even have that discussion right now. If GM really wanted to change their image from a "bang for the buck" sports car manufacturer to one with sophistication, they might need a new halo car. One that isn't based on anything out right now, go mid engine, make an interior that oozes exotic and sell it for $150k+ but ensure that it beats a Z06 around the track. The Corvette by association will garner more sales just like the GT-R helped the 370Z, the Ford GT helped the Mustang, etc. etc.

The Corvette is a nice car, it will be the nicest car i have ever owned, but, it's a far cry from an Audi R8, Porsche GT3, etc. GM is not the greatest when it comes to interiors, the C7 is a giant step in the right direction, but they need to work on making the cabin appeal to the subconscious. Simple things like getting rid of the ***** plastic console. Plastic is a great material to build hidden structure with, but I don't want to see it or touch it. Use actual metal instead of "metallic" looking surfaces. It's the little things that make a car great. I doubt the sum of the parts of Porsche are worth the asking price but they nailed the interior. It may be "teutonic" but everything you interact with feels like quality. The C7 Corvette makes the single most exciting button in the car an after thought with cheap black plastic...I mean it's a small quibble but the start button should feel like you are launching a damn ICBM, not powering up your home computer.

Last edited by Supermassive; 01-15-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:52 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
The C7 Corvette makes the single most exciting button in the car an after thought with cheap black plastic...I mean it's a small quibble but the start button should feel like you are launching a damn ICBM, not powering up your home computer.
HA! TOTALLY AGREE about the start button. Hell, even the Prius has a more exciting start button than the C7. S2000, Viper, even the upcoming Mustang all have start buttons that really imply you are about to do something meaningful.

In terms of the topic at hand: If GM is going to do something even more impressive than this Z06...well that would certainly be interesting.

-T
Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I had assumed all along that there wasn't going to be BOTH a C7 Z06 and a C7 ZR1.
This new Z06 is a nice marriage/amalgamation of the two cars in an entirely new package.
They still have to be able sell these things (ZR1s didn't sell all that well and even Z06 sales dropped notably in the latter years) and also not cannibalize or obsolete each other in the process as well.
Sometimes less, is more.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

There will be a ZR1....I would put money on it myself.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Once again the ZR1 was a commercial flop. Why can't people see this. Yes a few of them sold, a little over 4000 over it's lifetime. The Z06 sold 5 times as many over it's lifetime. All the ZR1 was a way for GM to drum up attention to try to generate interest in the flagging sales figures for the Z06 and Base when the ZR1 was revealed. The GS was far better at increasing sales.

If they need to release a ZR1 that isn't a good thing for the Corvette because it means sales are down. There isn't enough demand for GM to even have that discussion right now. If GM really wanted to change their image from a "bang for the buck" sports car manufacturer to one with sophistication, they might need a new halo car. One that isn't based on anything out right now, go mid engine, make an interior that oozes exotic and sell it for $150k+ but ensure that it beats a Z06 around the track. The Corvette by association will garner more sales just like the GT-R helped the 370Z, the Ford GT helped the Mustang, etc. etc.

The Corvette is a nice car, it will be the nicest car i have ever owned, but, it's a far cry from an Audi R8, Porsche GT3, etc. GM is not the greatest when it comes to interiors, the C7 is a giant step in the right direction, but they need to work on making the cabin appeal to the subconscious. Simple things like getting rid of the ***** plastic console. Plastic is a great material to build hidden structure with, but I don't want to see it or touch it. Use actual metal instead of "metallic" looking surfaces. It's the little things that make a car great. I doubt the sum of the parts of Porsche are worth the asking price but they nailed the interior. It may be "teutonic" but everything you interact with feels like quality. The C7 Corvette makes the single most exciting button in the car an after thought with cheap black plastic...I mean it's a small quibble but the start button should feel like you are launching a damn ICBM, not powering up your home computer.
Three years or so ago I used to read rather silly and uninformed articles from a fellow which name/handle escapes me at the moment..but just like in the above, in the midst of all the nonsense he/she/it would drop the Audi, Porsche and Mercedes names with attributes that are non existent thus evoking the ever evanescent subconscious "cop out".

So, let me make a direct, non subconscious statement:

EVERYTHING (visible) in the Porsche and Mercedes interior that looks like metal is actually PLASTIC.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM
SpudMuffin
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Huh? This guy has brought us some of the greatest cars ever built. Secondly, I don't know him personally, but have a good friend who does. He's a very nice guy and had been super-responsive to the Vette community.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
There's still one thing left to supercharge: the LS7.

Not saying they will, but that would be one way to achieve 700 HP before going to turbos.
The LS7 motor is meant to safely handle FI - from what I've read/seen they start blowing up, even durability mildly bolted @ 40,000+ miles is questionable. One reason why I didn't stretch for a C6 Z06 and instead opted for the C5 Z06, because I KNOW I will cam it in the future.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

R8's have horrific quality/reliability, and Porsches, while magnificent cars, are not super luxorious in the traditional sense. I used to drive my bosses 2013 911 4S Cabriolet Black, and while everything is well put together and fits tight it isn't like riding in a Lexus or Mercedes by ANY means.

LOts of high end manufacturers use plastic or faux metal/wood trims, believe me. How about the sweet alcantara headliner in the european cars? Oh, I mean FAKE SUEDE. That's like calling vinyl and leather the same thing.

My new 2014 Sierra uses "real AL" trim pieces. So what.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Jim!

On a side note, how many of your GT2 Dred hoods have you now sold? I am wondering if I still have something special.

Best visual mod that I have done to my car by far.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ManuelCarrillo3
Chevrolet Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has told Autoblog there are currently no plans to introduce a C7 Corvette ZR1.
Yeah, and Mark Reuss was telling journalists 4 months ago that there was "no discussion of a Z06". These guys will say anything to sell you the current toy they just rolled out - and the Corvette faithful will thank them, salivate, and run out and buy the C7 ZR1 when they surprise us with one this time next year (well, you won't be able to buy one before 2017). We have seen the patents for the centri SC - the ZR1 is coming and it will be mid-700s. Shoot, it may even have retro tail-lamps - who knows. Of course, we all know I have been proven wrong before.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Yeah, and Mark Reuss was telling journalists 4 months ago that there was "no discussion of a Z06". These guys will say anything to sell you the current toy they just rolled out - and the Corvette faithful will thank them, salivate, and run out and buy the C7 ZR1 when they surprise us with one this time next year (well, you won't be able to buy one before 2017). We have seen the patents for the centri SC - the ZR1 is coming and it will be mid-700s. Shoot, it may even have retro tail-lamps - who knows. Of course, we all know I have been proven wrong before.
GM knows how to milk it !

Quick Reply: GM Says No Corvette ZR1 on the Radar: Is the C7 Z06 Too Good?