C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Jalopnik Q&A with Tadge transcribed for Reading Ease

Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Jalopnik Q&A with Tadge transcribed for Reading Ease

Hey CF Fam,

I read through the Jalopnik Q&A last night and I saw that there was alot of useful information, so I decided to transcribe it for ease of reading. Enjoy.

Link: Jalopnik Q&A with Tadge Juechter

Last edited by truth.b; 01-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.
truth.b
Drifting

Tech Stuff:

JayBe_III:
Ian Callum (of F-Type lore) was asked yesterday his thoughts on the new Vette. His statement was that he really liked it, but it was beyond him how you got the hood line so low. So how does that happen? I know there are government regs for that sort of thing, but how do you get past that?

My personal question: Is it true that the Z06 consumes the souls of vehicles it passes? Can it use them as fuel?

tadgejuechter >> JayBe_III
We were the first in the industry to discover that you could use the flexible material properties of carbon fiber to absorb energy and meet regulations with a lower hood than ever thought possible.

No, but it sounds like something we should test for.
----------------------

ejp hates automatic transmissions:
Thanks for coming in to answer our questions today. I'm curious as to why a torque-converter based automatic transmission was used and why a dual clutch, automatic clutch sequential gearbox, or similar technology was not employed on the Z06?

(Please ignore my handle, hate is such a strong word - and I'm happy to be objective for the purposes of this discussion) Yesterday 2:00pm

tadgejuechter >> ejp hates automatic transmissions
Torque converter is very important to enable cylinder deactivation, which is better than any DCT.
-----------------

EbbenFlow:
Ok, so we're seeing superchargers and now an auto trans (thumbs up for both, thanks!). When can we expect AWD? Yesterday 2:09pm

tadgejuechter >> EbbenFlow
Our architecture is not compatible with AWD. Sorry!
----------------------

HammerheadFistpunch:
I want to know how specifically you arrived at such high power targets. Its obvious that hitting them meant ditching the NA engine for supercharged which is little saddening for LS7 fans. Was it because this was meant to be, essentially, the Z06 and ZR1? Yesterday 2:05pm

tadgejuechter >> HammerheadFistpunch
Our original intent was to do an NA engine, we were unable to achieve all of our performance, durability, and regulatory (emissions) goals with NA. We weren't even close. You couldn't just do DI, VVT, no cylinder deactivation, 7.0 liter motor with the increase we would have wanted. New regs could have led to a horsepower decrease.
---------------

Mikey (builds Beige):
Are you guys running a much more aggressive lock-up schedule for the torque converter to make it feel sportier, or is it tuned like a more conventional car? Yesterday 2:06pm

tadgejuechter >> Mikey (builds Beige)
It has five modes like the Stingray, the new trans let us do even more, making the modes different. Tour will be gentle, track will be super aggressive. I want to chirp the tires in a straight line.
------------------------

GV_Goat:

Any turbos in the C7's future?

Or is there anything you can tell us about potential future engines? Yesterday 2:04pm

tadgejuechter >> GV_Goat
We looked at packaging turbos on the Z06, both in the valley and alongside the engine and both had huge packaging problems. We're very happy about the supercharger as it provides instant throttle response and a very compact package that enables a low hood and an excellent view out through the windshield.
---------------------

THOMAS5:
About how much time was spent testing and perfecting this new Z06? Yesterday 2:24pm

tadgejuechter >> THOMAS5
We've been working on it for 4 years, and we will finish it late this year. Most on track development work will occur this year
--------------

carcrasher88:
Where does the drag coefficient of the C7 Z06 stand in comparison to the C5 and C6 iterations? Yesterday 2:09pm

tadgejuechter >> carcrasher88
It will be similar to C6 Z06 and ZR1 (between 0.34 and 0.37), but much better downforce than either car.
----------------

JSOOB:
Curb Weight?

Engine redline? Yesterday 2:05pm

tadgejuechter >> JSOOB
Redline will be 6,500 RPM, curb weight will be depend on the completion of development late this year.
----------

wrxallday:
What are the weight differences between the two transmissions, as well as a comparison of the overall strength of each? Yesterday 2:24pm

tadgejuechter >> wrxallday
The 8 speed is more than 8 pounds lighter than the 6 speed auto, which makes it closer to the mass of the manual transmission. I'm guessing the actual delta is about 20 kilos, but you don't count the clutch mass in the manual. If you count the clutch, the transmission weight just about the same.
------------------

thestigs2ndcousin:
Can you talk about the added aerodynamics of the car? maybe discuss the bits that were most effective in reducing drag coefficients, and how they work. Yesterday 2:03pm

tadgejuechter >> thestigs2ndcousin
Splitter with end caps, and the large spoiler with full width wicker bill.
-------------------

DatASSun:
Does this new Vette have some type of launch control ? if so is it for both the Automatic and Standard versions ? Yesterday 2:00pm

tadgejuechter >> DatASSun
Yes, both manual and automatic will.
-------------------

Arch Duke Maxyenko, The Great!:
I noticed the Nürburgring in the background, what was the lap time?

tadgejuechter >> Arch Duke Maxyenko, The Great!
We won't know for a year. Development has just started and the 'Ring is the last place we go.
----------------------

Automatch-the Avanthusiast:
Since the new Z06 has truly awesome performance, there was word today from several outlets that the ZR-1 will be no longer necessary. Is there a possibility of an even more ridiculous Vette in the future? Yesterday 2:03pm

tadgejuechter >> Automatch- the Avanthusiast
Nothing is impossible.
----------------------

Last edited by truth.b; 01-15-2014 at 01:16 PM.
truth.b
Drifting

General Knowledge:

Mr. 12:
Why no DCT?!

tadgejuechter >> Mr. 12C
What customers really want is a very fast, very responsive transmission, and that's what we've provided. Our new internally designed 8 speed auto is far lighter than the previous 6 speed and any dct that could live behind this engine and we benchmarked the best DCTs in the world for shift speed and quality, and engineered this trans to match and better them.
------------

rydogg008:
Why does the C7 continue to make use of a transverse leaf spring, while the rest of your competition and the C7R uses coil springs? Yesterday 2:08pm

tadgejuechter >> rydogg008
We use a tranverse composite spring because it is the lowest mass, highest performance solution for automotive springs. Other vehicles use steel coils primarily for low tooling cost and easy tuning.

The C7R uses coil springs because a race car needs that adjustability.

JayBe_III >>rydogg008
Wow. He just answered your question with "because racecar".

It's like he knows us...
-----------------------

themarvelous1310:
Will there ever be a mid-engined Corvette?

Now, my brother thinks the Corvette Daytona with any interior would be the best Vette ever. I think I'd rather have it as a Cadillac Cien. Yesterday 2:23pm

tadgejuechter >> themarvelous1310
We get this question a lot, we will do a mid engined Corvette when it makes the entire Corvette owner experience better.
-------------

Desu-San-Desu:
First off, I love the car! It's the first generation Corvette that I've ever actually wanted.

As for my actual questions, They're about the supercharger application. I'm definitely happy to see a supercharger instead of turbochargers, and I imagine the fuel savings over more displacement explains why you went with forced induction. My question is what kind of supercharger is it (roots, scroll, twin screw, centrifugal), how is it driven (belt, chain, gear, direct) and how much parasitic loss does the supercharger draw? Has the supercharger managed to maintain the level of throttle-response across the powerband that is important for a track-oriented car like this one? After all, thatis one of the biggest advantages of a supercharger.

Also, how much tuning potential is left in this supercharged engine? Are the internal components strong enough to accept more boost? I imagine the car is tuned for a balance of power and reliability, but how much of a ceiling did you leave for increased performance in stock form? Is the supercharger capable of an increase in boost through the use of a smaller diameter pulley or have you already tuned it to the ceiling of capability before diminishing returns on efficient power production?

What led you to the decision to not just supercharge the engine, but to use the specific type of supercharging application that you employed? What other application avenues and options did you explore?

Oh, and most importantly: You can hear it, right? Please tell me you can hear that sweet, sweet supercharger whine!

tadgejuechter >> Desu-San-Desu
Eaton roots, 1.7 liter per rev, belt driven, loss is much reduced from previous, don't have a horsepower number, but is substantially less. Response is improved from ZR1.

You'll void your 100,000 mile warranty with any mods. More boost would sacrifice durability and longevity.

And yes, you can hear the supercharger whine, very feint.
-------------------------

BrianK:
What are your thoughts on the tail lights & their lack of connection to past models of Corvette? Yesterday 2:17pm

tadgejuechter >> BrianK
To be honest, I assumed that the Stingray, from the beginning, would have round lights. As the design evolved, we all became convinced that it wasn't the right solution for a 21st century sports car. It didn't look right with the round lights.
-----------------

Tom McKinley:
Tadge,
I currently own a 2007 Porsche Turbo. I have owned Corvettes in the past and after 25,000 miles, build quality was an issue.
Discuss build quality for the new Z06. Yesterday 2:15pm

tadgejuechter >> Tom McKinley
Well, not just the Z06, The Stingray benefits from a 60% stiffer structure, and our experience with cars with high mileage (100k+) shows that they drive like new.
---------------------
truth.b
Drifting

Silly/Unique Questions:

ncasolowork2:
Can we hide some of those fasteners better?

tadgejuechter >> ncasolowork2
Most of our customers really like those fasteners, because if you get in a minor fender bender, you can repair it with bolt on panels. Not fixing sheetmetal. Didn't want to add weight to apply a cosmetic cover.
--------

WizKashifa:
The idea of a "mood room" is thrown around a lot in car design, did the C7 engine team have a mood aquarium?

Completely abstractly, with an unlimited budget what "perfect" engine would you build?

tadgejuechter >> WizKashifa
No visual stimulation necessary!

I'm more a fan of lightweight cars, so I would do a carbon fiber block (which sounds impossible, but money's no object!), carbon fiber pistons, redline 10,000 RPM, naturally aspirated, fantastically over square spinner motor with exotic materials and a real flat torque curve.
------------------

Collin Woodard:
I kind of assume that the guy behind the Z06 has to be a Fireball whiskey man. Are you? If not, what's your beverage of choice? Yesterday 2:15pm

tadgejuechter >> Collin Woodard
Don't drink Fireball, but I am willing. Send me a case.

When in Kentucky, bourbon, when in Michigan, scotch.
-------------------

Leadbull:
How much cocaine did engineering that car require?

tadgejuechter >> Leadbull
It required zero cocaine.

GV_Goat >>Leadbull
Huh. I would've guessed 23 lbs. But's that's just me.
---------------
Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Lol, good read. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,284 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I can't believe he answered the cocaine question. Hilarious!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:37 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Nobody asked about this thing staying cool during extended track sessions?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
He did address the heat soak. Saying they are working on it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:03 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
in Phoenix AZ

Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mattkilla2015
He did address the heat soak. Saying they are working on it.
killerchiller.com ?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Ensoniq
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read all these threads and haven't seen the boost pressure - does anyone know yet?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked a question last night at around 9:30pm Eastern time. Was I too late? My question is still there, it's just not answered and says it's "awaiting review."
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't be serious? Do you really think that was Tadge? LOL
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
Tadge's hot secretary? lol. Had to be some GM rep. He was at the Javits Center NY auto show last year. If I see him this year, I may have to ambush him with questions
Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
I asked a question last night at around 9:30pm Eastern time. Was I too late? My question is still there, it's just not answered and says it's "awaiting review."
I believe he was on 2 days ago so yeah it was too late.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Originally Posted by sajonf
What evidence do you have it wasn't? You think this was a ploy to get more traffic to the website? You think a big blog can't get access to him? Has he come out and said it wasn't him?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

9.5 PSI is the boost.

Get notified of new replies

To Jalopnik Q&A with Tadge transcribed for Reading Ease

Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattkilla2015
What evidence do you have it wasn't? You think this was a ploy to get more traffic to the website? You think a big blog can't get access to him? Has he come out and said it wasn't him?
I have no evidence that is wasn't him. No one has any evidence that it was. Think about it.. Why would he not do an interview instead of being some commenter on a story? Especially on a website that revealed the C7 a year before it came out. GM does not like Jalopnik. It was simply their staff playing games with you poor gullible souls.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:26 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

6,500 redline. What happened to the 7000 rpm redline that we heard about at the reveal of the Stingray?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
6,500 redline. What happened to the 7000 rpm redline that we heard about at the reveal of the Stingray?
My guess is they didn't need it with the supercharger, and it would have added a lot of cost in improvements to the rotating assembly, and even the valve train. Too bad, though, because an American V8 at 7000 rpm is pure music.

Michael

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jalopnik Q&A with Tadge transcribed for Reading Ease