C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How is it possible for GM to give a warranty on the ZO7?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts
Default How is it possible for GM to give a warranty on the ZO7?

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-z06-supercar.html

I don't understand how it's possible. According to the website above it says a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

I'm ordering a ZO6 with ZO7 option. I plan to drive this biatch hard. Quarter mile and on a road course like Gingerman Raceway in MI.

I also plan to drive it hard on the street.

I know GM has these darn Black Boxes that records everything, similar to NSA, lol.

If something breaks while I'm drifting, doing a burnout, or high revs on the track won't GM say you were Racing the car.

Well hell yes I'm racing, why do you think I bought a ZO7 with 625+HP and massive ceramic brakes, duh!

How does a warranty work if there is a claim?

Thanks

P.S. If it's true that I do indeed get a warranty, then I would not put a supercharger on a C7. I'll take the 5/100k warranty instead.

P.P.S. I can see it now. Mr Z owner, according to the Black Box you were in 3rd gear doing 140 MPH at 6,700RPM when the engine blew. Adios warranty.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:47 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

time will only tell when they start denying claims....
Old 05-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut

I don't understand how it's possible. According to the website above it says a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

I'm ordering a ZO6 with ZO7 option. I plan to drive this biatch hard. Quarter mile and on a road course like Gingerman Raceway in MI.

I know GM has these darn Black Boxes that records everything, similar to NSA, lol.

If something breaks while I'm drifting, doing a burnout, or high revs on the track won't GM say you were Racing the car.

Well hell yes I'm racing, why do you think I bought a ZO7 with 625+HP and massive ceramic brakes, duh!

Thanks

P.S. If it's true that I do indeed get a warranty, then I would not put a supercharger on a C7. I'll take the 5/100k warranty instead.

P.P.S. I can see it now. Mr Z owner, according to the Black Box you were in 3rd gear doing 140 MPH at 6,700RPM when the engine blew. Adios warranty.

I'd lawyer up in this case.(someone that HATES GM if possible!) Plently of GM videos showing their engineeers/drivers beating the **** out of any model Corvette.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think advertising the car as "track certified" and placing a warranty on it would tell me you will be fine. They have even said at the shows they know people are going to take them to events at tracks.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The answer to your question is simple. The warranty will exclude racing as it always has. If you lie and say your weren't racing when you were and damaged your car, that is fraud. Fraud is a crime. Are you ready to go to jail?

I plan to buy a new Z06 and don't plan to race it, so the warranty will be nice.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
The answer to your question is simple.

The warranty will exclude racing as it always has.

If you lie and say your weren't racing when you were and damaged your car, that is fraud. Fraud is a crime. Are you ready to go to jail?

I plan to buy a new Z06 and don't plan to race it, so the warranty will be nice.
Ok, so what happens if I "track it" on the weekend, and later in the week something breaks.

If GM were to ask me if I raced it and I said "yes, last weekend" will they deny my claim for something that broke at a later date?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Jon0813
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so what happens if I "track it" on the weekend, and later in the week something breaks.

If GM were to ask me if I raced it and I said "yes, last weekend" will they deny my claim for something that broke at a later date?

Experience from Ford with Boss 302. Engine blew on the tack, local Ford dealership provided tow truck to pick the car up in the infield, replaced motor no questions asked. It had the track key at the time. Fords take was "Touring Club" days where there are no records kept or results posted is not racing.

If the car has not been modified in any way, GM would have a difficult time voiding a warranty for a car that they have built for the purpose of taking to the track. Some dealers may say it's not covered, but others will gladly do the work.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

High performance driving events are not racing. They are not timed. Failure in these environments would be covered. Been that way for a long time. I was at one of the forum Cruise-Ins back when the C6 was first released and had a chat about it with Corvette's head engineer at the time Dave Hill.

Drag racing... well that's a different story... I'd probably clean the time slips out of the center console before taking it to the dealer
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

however if you power shift from say 2nd oops to 1st and over rev and blow the motor. That is on you. I did it in a Camaro and built new motor, I don't come on line and blame GM, Take owner ship and learn.

Last edited by CitationZ06@yahoo; 05-16-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:17 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Thanks

I can see that happening, as I can only hit 125 MPH at 7,000 RPM in my C6 Z06 while accelerating. 140 MPH in third gear would be at 7,900 RPM while accelerating and is impossible unless I raised the rev limiter(factory set at 7,100 RPM) with a tune, which would void the warranty.

For the C7 Z06, it would hit 7,300 RPM in third gear at 140 while accelerating. Again, the 6,600 RPM rev limiter would have to be raised with an aftermarket tune, and that would void the warranty.

Both examples, my C6 Z06 and the C7 Z06, and neither with a tune, would mean that one would have had to down shift into 3rd gear at 140 MPH to hit those RPMs(7,900 on my Z06 and 7,300 on the C7 Z06), which clearly is an operator error, and not covered by warranty.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-16-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

The same way they have done it with the ZR1 and past Z06. They ususally cover on track problems if you reamain stock and that includes tires. If you put on a set of stickier tires (hoosiers) then you may get denied.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Originally Posted by racerns
The same way they have done it with the ZR1 and past Z06. They ususally cover on track problems if you reamain stock and that includes tires. If you put on a set of stickier tires (hoosiers) then you may get denied.
Good info
Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Aren't they starting to deny claims if the computers been flashed?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:26 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Yes but they've been doing that since the C6 days. Not sure what that has to do with warrantying race track non-racing use.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
The answer to your question is simple. The warranty will exclude racing as it always has. If you lie and say your weren't racing when you were and damaged your car, that is fraud. Fraud is a crime. Are you ready to go to jail?

Spoken like a person who has been around for a while. Remember when they touted the same thing before and even used the comments from Dave Hill to sell the car and then denied claims if the car had been tracked?

Some of the newer members should do a search on tracking their car and having warranty issues.

Here is a link that pretty much covers this topic.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...rack-days.html

Last edited by NocarbutaVetteforme; 05-16-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 05-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

I believe GM honors the warranty of the C7 Stingray Z51 if you track it....as long as it stays stock....

I remember Tadge talking about this.....

I don't see why that would change with the C7 Z07.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:57 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

How is it possible for the warranty? Probably because they figure a recall down the road will have it back in for service anyway??

sorry, bad joke.......

Get notified of new replies

To How is it possible for GM to give a warranty on the ZO7?

Old 05-16-2014, 04:40 PM
erikgj
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would just see how Chevy handled the ZR-1 claims. Big power supercharged corvettes are not a new thing
Old 05-16-2014, 05:50 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Why does Ford install Linelock in their GT Stangs and then void your pt warranty if you engage it once. It's on the owner.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Why does Ford install Linelock in their GT Stangs and then void your pt warranty if you engage it once. It's on the owner.
I never heard this. That's like saying it has a supercharger but you warranty is void if run the rpm up high enough to run on boost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How is it possible for GM to give a warranty on the ZO7?