C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 PM
ChrisTinaBruce
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Manual or Automatic

In the past I have only had manual sport cars. Although I understand the improvements in off the line, gear selection timing and efficiency of the modern automatic gearboxes I am still having a difficult time considering a automatic in a Z06.

The supercharged LT4 comes with a standard seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match, or an all-new 8L90 eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission designed to enhance performance and efficiency. The seven-speed manual incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. A new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia.
The eight-speed automatic is tuned for world-class shift-response times. Smaller steps between gears keep the LT4 within the sweet spot of the rpm band, making the most of the output of the supercharged engine for exhilarating performance and greater efficiency.
"There's no trade-off in drivability with the new 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmission - it was designed to deliver performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement," said Bill Goodrich, assistant chief engineer for eight-speed automatic transmissions. "It is also the highest-capacity automatic transmission ever offered in a Chevrolet car."
Featuring four gearsets and five clutches, creative packaging enables the GM-developed eight-speed automatic to fit the same space as the six-speed automatic used in the Corvette Stingray. Extensive use of aluminum and magnesium make it more than eight pounds (4 kg) lighter than the six-speed. Along with design features that reduce friction, the 8L90 is expected to contribute up to 5-percent greater efficiency, when compared with a six-speed automatic.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 PM
jason427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AUTOMATIC ALL THE WAY!!!!! Although I had no problem rowing the gears in my last ZR1, I hated the tranny... I am really looking forward to the Auto!

Jason

Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce
In the past I have only had manual sport cars. Although I understand the improvements in off the line, gear selection timing and efficiency of the modern automatic gearboxes I am still having a difficult time considering a automatic in a Z06.

The supercharged LT4 comes with a standard seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match, or an all-new 8L90 eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission designed to enhance performance and efficiency. The seven-speed manual incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. A new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia.
The eight-speed automatic is tuned for world-class shift-response times. Smaller steps between gears keep the LT4 within the sweet spot of the rpm band, making the most of the output of the supercharged engine for exhilarating performance and greater efficiency.
"There's no trade-off in drivability with the new 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmission - it was designed to deliver performance on par with dual-clutch designs, but without sacrificing refinement," said Bill Goodrich, assistant chief engineer for eight-speed automatic transmissions. "It is also the highest-capacity automatic transmission ever offered in a Chevrolet car."
Featuring four gearsets and five clutches, creative packaging enables the GM-developed eight-speed automatic to fit the same space as the six-speed automatic used in the Corvette Stingray. Extensive use of aluminum and magnesium make it more than eight pounds (4 kg) lighter than the six-speed. Along with design features that reduce friction, the 8L90 is expected to contribute up to 5-percent greater efficiency, when compared with a six-speed automatic.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

I just sold a 2001 Z06 with a 6 speed manual that I drove for 13 years.
Frankly, if the a8 gets great reviews from those using it in their Stingray, then it will be in my 2015/16 Z06.
I see no reason not to move up to the 21st century with a modern transmission that can be manually shifted or run in auto mode.
Many modern cars and especially supercars have abondoned the manual stick in favor of efficiency.

btw, this topic has been discussed at length in this forum.....search.

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 06-13-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

My 427 is my 1st Vette & 1st manual ever, though I've been riding Harleys for 35 years.

I find the manual more engaging & fun! I know I'll lose against the new autos but I would not buy an auto in a vette. I'm not hung up with the idea it has to be a manual to be a real racer or macho, etc., just my preference, plus it keeps me focused.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Then there is no reason to get an automatic. If you have enjoyed your manual sports cars, you are just going to get bored with an automatic.

Michael
Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM
brokenparts
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

efficiency? Efficient at what? Turning horsepower into heat?
or compensating for lesser skilled drivers? OH OH I know, maybe its efficient at adding weight

Yes, Im having fun. The auto may be faster then the stick but I still like to believe the professionals are quicker with the manual. The real results will be here quick enough though, the truth will soon be revealed. I think a skilled, heel-toe driver will be able to keep up with the auto and I would much rather have the manual in a car like this. Again, its just my preference. I really enjoy matching the revs in the twisties!

At this point, who really cares whos faster? Unless you are out on the track with Tony Stewart, all vehicles in this price range are overkill. Buy what you think you will have more fun with.

To me, the fun with these machines is finding your limits and expanding them until you find the veichles... not on public roads, of course.

Unless you just want something sporty to drive
Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

A Prius is easily more futuristic than the Corvette, it doesn't make it more desireable.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:20 AM
TX-OU812
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a manual C7 Z51. Currently, I'm having fun. But, when I trade up to a Z06 (in a few years), I will have real mixed emotions about which transmission to roll with.

While the manual is fun (except for during rush hour), a faster automatic, which would allow me to remote start in the hot Texas sun, could have its advantages.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:10 AM
kjsooner
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently got a new Stingray coupe in an automatic after driving manuals since 2001. The car had everything I wanted (Velocity Yellow 2LT, Z51, NPP, black rims, black mirrors and spoiler, yellow calipers, navigation) except for being an automatic. I decided I'd get it knowing that I was going to trade it in on a new Z06 in a year or two. Big mistake!!!! Love the car but dislike the tranny! It's just too sterile to me. I don't feel connected to the car with the automatic. The paddles are nothing like rowing the gears in a manual. I won't make the same mistake again. Manuals only for me from now on!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Manuel only in this car for me, even if the auto comes in a hair faster in the end. And that all depends on how good the auto really is. I'm not racing and I love shifting, and never daily drive these cars. And driving in Naples is stop light to stoplight and tons of traffic. It's shifting that actually keeps my mind off of how miserable the traffic can get at times
Old 06-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Auto Motive
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior moment

I have been driving 51 years and over 30 of those years I was driving manual transmissions. I was tired of shifting in the Pittsburgh PA traffic coming and going from work and eventually bought the auto. I never looked back. Driving my 95 C4 in auto cross has been a blast and the auto never fails me. When traffic is lined up for miles at Vettes at Carlisle the automatic doesn't give you nightmares like the manual. My older friends agree and now the new Z is heading to our garages for sure. Good luck with your choice auto or ....
Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I currently have a H/C 07 Z06 and all of my previous cars have all been manuals. However, I would opt for the auto in the new Z.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:13 PM
ALLANB
Pro

I had tons of manual cars in my past but moved to real hilly place with lots of traffic now and sold off my 08 z06. I bought SL55 which doesn't come with full manual option and like it just fine and lately picked up my 911 turbo with auto. Big difference to me is you can manually shift the autos but full manual is full manual. I agree a bit that you do get a bit more of that "driving feel" from full manuals but I don't personally need a clutch pedal to feel like a man.

I plan on getting an auto c7 base or z06 within next year or two . May get a c6 auto base
or grand sport to tide me over if price was right. I would consider a full manual car possibly bit more once try out the hill assist feature that is on the new corvettes but still think will be going auto in pretty much all my future cars. I do have a hard on though for a Viper and so far they are only offered in full manual and don't even have hill assist although they have put that on Challenger and would think Viper would get it sooner or later. But maybe Viper will also come with auto option.
Its great when companies offer people both full manual and auto option like GM is doing. That is the smart way to do it. Viper is being stubborn only offering full manual. Almost all the high end cars like Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo etc come with autos some no longer come with full manual option anymore. I still think both ways is best . Let guys have what they want.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Automatics are for boring rental cars. Manuals are for sports cars.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

After 35 years of manual transmissions I would like to try the new 8 speed automatic.....after a test drive of course....

If I couldn't get a test drive before buying I'd still go it's the 8 speed automatic...

The technology is just too advanced.......not to give it a shot.

Jmo
Old 06-14-2014, 03:27 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

If you want to have fun but a manual if you want to go faster buy an auto.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
Automatics are for boring rental cars. Manuals are for sports cars.
I rent a lot of cars, including some sporty rental cars, but I am always amazed at how much I enjoy getting back in my own cars with manuals. I feel like "I'm driving again", and I get to do something other than just pushing on a gas pedal.

Michael

Get notified of new replies

To Manual or Automatic

Old 06-14-2014, 05:42 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

[QUOTE=ChrisTinaBruce;1587128671]In the past I have only had manual sport cars.

I have owned four Corvettes, all automatics. I drove my friend's C7 with the 7 speed. I will always own the automatic.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

I completely understand the dilemma. Bottom line, I want the transmission that will help me go as fast/quick as possible. We don't have the opportunity to "dial in" the timing with a lever on the steering wheel, or crank in a better "wedge" with the lever on the side of the car(like "back in the day) to "feel more attached" to the vehicle but if we want to go "as fast as possible" letting the computer set the timing for the most optimal, letting the computer "rev-match" (yes even the manuals) for better gear changes in the heat of racing (or spirited street driving) so be it. (sorry run-on sentence) We don't even have any data (production) or feed back from those who have the A8 yet. It's damn hard to say "I want to row my own gears" just because "I think it's cool" without saying I don't care if it is the slower way to go, and I'm willing to "do it the old fashioned way" even though I know every other "exotic high performance sport car on the f***ing planet is going to DCT or some other form of "faster" gear change options. Just sayin'. Why don't we wait until all the bets are in before we carve it in stone?

Last edited by foreverfuelie; 06-14-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:21 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

On the resale market a Corvette with the manual is very desirable. This may change with the A8 if it is as good as the propaganda says. If the A8 performs like the A6 with extra gears it may not be desirable.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic