C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06=Old News - 707 HP Dodge Hellcat=C7 ZR1 with 750hp

Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't know how Dodge is going to save the Viper....

......but even at 707....wood inducing HP... I cant see the Hellcat out running a 640HP Viper on a road course.....

If it can do that color me amazed........
Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I don't know how Dodge is going to save the Viper....

......but even at 707....wood inducing HP... I cant see the Hellcat out running a 640HP Viper on a road course.....

If it can do that color me amazed........

Can't see it beating the Viper in a strait line either..as far as the Viper goes the price is what is killing it it's a beautiful car but over priced the Hellcat shouldn't have nothing to do with the death of the Viper as they attract two totally different kinds of people...
Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Foot on the floor
This is when gearing becomes important.
you can change gearing in any car.....do you think a lightweight car has fixed gearing? gearing should be optimized for the engine's power curve and the car's purpose, ie. how long is the back straight or what rpm do I want to be at at the top of 4th gear at the end of the 1/4.....

so no, this is not really where gearing becomes important.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Can't see it beating the Viper in a strait line either..as far as the Viper goes the price is what is killing it it's a beautiful car but over priced the Hellcat shouldn't have nothing to do with the death of the Viper as they attract two totally different kinds of people...
I don't think the Hellcat is killing the Viper....it did a good job of that all on it's own......
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by c5sooner
That car will sell like hotcakes. I am sure the Viper guys are scratching there heads....even though these car's are not in the same class. And pissed. Viper has been a step child a while now it seems. I can't wait to see the tests though.
And dam hurry up C7 Z06! I am tired of waiting for a new car!
Viper owner here and yep....there are viper owners scratching their head about this and I just don't understand why...
Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Car is amazing. It has become an almost daily driver for me. Poor sales can be a huge bonus if you are willing to wait. My 2013 srt base with just a few hundred miles on it, cost me about $20k below the 108 sticker. My 06 coupe stickered at 84, so for a little more I got a car with 140 more hp naturally aspirated and way way easier to drive.

If Dodge does not exceed the 707 mark, I say kill the viper. It went away in 2007, 2011, 2012...what's the big deal. Many of us don't want viper sales to increase. Think there are still only about 700 srt vipers driving around the USA. I like that low number.

More interested in seeing the C7Z performance numbers. If the impressive Challenger hp and anticipated C7Z killer performance do not wake up viper command......then take it off life-support. I will happy to be one of the few that drives one.
agree completely I just don't daily drive mine..
Originally Posted by svtkeith
Yep, just like the ZR, the gen V Viper is in the 10's (UNMODDED)
I don't think the Hellcat is killing the Viper....it did a good job of that all on it's own......
as stated, price is doing it...
Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

I'm sure upping the viper hp will be obtainable for the guys from dodge if they desire.

The dealers greed over and above the MSRP increase is what turned the viper loyalist off.

The MSRP was higher but in my opinion it was the "market adjustment" and how poorly most dodge dealers treated previous viper owners when they went to sit in the new car.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
you can change gearing in any car.....do you think a lightweight car has fixed gearing? gearing should be optimized for the engine's power curve and the car's purpose, ie. how long is the back straight or what rpm do I want to be at at the top of 4th gear at the end of the 1/4.....

so no, this is not really where gearing becomes important.
True both cars can be re-geared. I never insinuated otherwise. But if a heavyweight car is re-geared it will help make up the difference against the lighter non re-geared car. That most likely has something to do with the CTS-V he was mentioning being able to win at the drag strip. Along with tires.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Foot on the floor
True both cars can be re-geared. I never insinuated otherwise. But if a heavyweight car is re-geared it will help make up the difference against the lighter non re-geared car. That most likely has something to do with the CTS-V he was mentioning being able to win at the drag strip. Along with tires.
having raced Nhra and IHRA for almost 20 years I'll disagree with your supposition and move on. have a good one.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Old 07-06-2014, 10:56 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no dog in this fight, although I am glad to see these HP wars continue. There is a lot of speculation and incorrect information posted.. We will have to wait and see what the performance and weight numbers come in at.

I have a 392 SRT-8 Challenger A5 and even with more than 1/2 tank of fuel it has never weighed more than 4150, it has also been as low as 4130 when running much less fuel. I have verified this over the scales at 2 different tracks when I have taken mine. So there is 121 lbs right there where it is lighter than the information Sean posted.

Secondly, we have a cousin who works for SRT (been with Dodge 30 years) and does a lot of compiling of test data for all their cars. We know and has been posted that the Hell Cat has in fact run 3-4 runs back to back with the manual trans and all runs were 10.90-10.97 at over 127 on stock rubber on a well prepped track.

I am still anxious to see real world numbers once owners of these cars start racing them instead of bias 3rd party magazine testers including the SRT team. Keep in mind when conducting these tests they capture all data and have lots of timing equipment, cameras, laptops, etc in the cars as well. So that could also be where some of these differences can come from during the test and pre-release phases.

Then we can sit back and look forward to what the other manufactures step up with. Enjoy it while it lasts as we all know CAFE and other .gov regulations will hinder this probably sooner than later.. :Cheers:
Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AZZ-KIKR
I have no dog in this fight, although I am glad to see these HP wars continue. There is a lot of speculation and incorrect information posted.. We will have to wait and see what the performance and weight numbers come in at.

I have a 392 SRT-8 Challenger A5 and even with more than 1/2 tank of fuel it has never weighed more than 4150, it has also been as low as 4130 when running much less fuel. I have verified this over the scales at 2 different tracks when I have taken mine. So there is 121 lbs right there where it is lighter than the information Sean posted.

Secondly, we have a cousin who works for SRT (been with Dodge 30 years) and does a lot of compiling of test data for all their cars.
I am still anxious to see real world numbers once owners of these cars start racing them instead of bias 3rd party magazine testers including We know and has been posted that the Hell Cat has in fact run 3-4 runs back to back with the manual trans and all runs were 10.90-10.97 at over 127 on stock rubber on a well prepped track.
the SRT team. Keep in mind when conducting these tests they capture all data and have lots of timing equipment, cameras, laptops, etc in the cars as well. So that could also be where some of these differences can come from during the test and pre-release phases.

Then we can sit back and look forward to what the other manufactures step up with. Enjoy it while it lasts as we all know CAFE and other .gov regulations will hinder this probably sooner than later.. :Cheers:
Stock rubber on the manual Hellcat?!?!?

....If true that's F'ing amazing......

I gotta wonder how the hell Dodge got this thing to hook up like this....

Damn I really hope this is true.....

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 07-06-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:25 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Secondly, we have a cousin who works for SRT (been with Dodge 30 years) and does a lot of compiling of test data for all their cars. We know and has been posted that the Hell Cat has in fact run 3-4 runs back to back with the manual trans and all runs were 10.90-10.97 at over 127 on stock rubber on a well prepped track.

I am still anxious to see real world numbers once owners of these cars start racing them instead of bias 3rd party magazine testers including the SRT team. Keep in mind when conducting these tests they capture all data and have lots of timing equipment, cameras, laptops, etc in the cars as well. So that could also be where some of these differences can come from during the test and pre-release phases.

Really on stock rubber? I have read from at least two sources that say they were running drag radials? If they were running on stock rubber what tires are they running? The engineers must have put in some overtime getting the suspension dialed in to achieve these times on factory rubber, Really impressed if this is true. Also I read that the Auto ran a 10.8? Do you know if that is correct? As far as real world times very few ever match the rags times and the few that do usually actually beat the mag times, We have a few on this forum who actually do better than the mags.

Last edited by DRLC5; 07-06-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

.....and the auto is even faster.....

Yes, the auto is also quicker during our discussions. He is very tight lipped with more details, as he is the last one who wants to lose their job as most of his answers were more "wait and see for yourself" to a lot of other items.. He really only confirmed some the track times that are floating out there..

Hell, if it is anything like my 392 with the A5, it is a bit underrated. I have a good friend with a mobile dyno that I help run and for demo purposes we have tossed my car on it numerous times. I consistently dyno's 428-430 hp and 450 tq. It is "rated" at 470..

I also run 13.3's @ 106 all stock down to the paper air filter in 8700' DA up here in Colorado on the stock 255 good years which I have gone through 2 sets of... If I were to correct that to sea-level conditions it is in the 11.8-.9 range at around 117 mph.. It's making more steam than what they say it does and the auto with TC "on" has made for the best and most consistent 1/4 mile times..

Now it's nothing compared to my Vette, nor will it be a blip on the radar against the C7 ZO6, but I sure hope it lays the beat down on its direct competition which is the GT500, Camaro, CTS-V, etc.. Competition is a good thing.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

I hear you, If true imagine what it will do with some sticky rubber? Looking for the true story to be released hopefully this week?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:33 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DRLC5
Really on stock rubber? I have read from at least two sources that say they were running drag radials? If they were running on stock rubber what tires are they running? The engineers must have put in some overtime getting the suspension dialed in to achieve these times on factory rubber, Really impressed if this is true. Also I read that the Auto ran a 10.8? Do you know if that is correct? As far as real world times very few ever match the rags times and the few that do usually actually beat the mag times, We have a few on this forum who actually do better than the mags.
He only said it was not drag radials, would not state if it was going to be the same tire that was going to come on the car. Times were ran with the manual and when I asked about the auto it was "just wait and see".
Old 07-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

He only said it was not drag radials, would not state if it was going to be the same tire that was going to come on the car. Times were ran with the manual and when I asked about the auto it was "just wait and see".
Thanks for the info
Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Auto Motive
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT500 terrible in stop and go traffic

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
It's cool car, for sure. But I'd pick up a GT500 over a Hellcat.
Not so fast. The GT500 has been reviewed and driven and every article and forum says " driving in stop and go traffic is hell."
The GT500 is similar to the GTR being fast, loud and both not very fun in normal driving. Get into a ZL1, Corvette, or Challenger and its fun both as a daily driver or hitting it at the drag strip. I am a vette owner and my daughter has a 392 challenger. So before you speak test drive one or maybe two and then take a spin a GT500 which by the way are sitting with dust on dealers lots. Check out auto trader and see how many are still for sale.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06=Old News - 707 HP Dodge Hellcat=C7 ZR1 with 750hp

Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Auto Motive
Not so fast. The GT500 has been reviewed and driven and every article and forum says " driving in stop and go traffic is hell."
The GT500 is similar to the GTR being fast, loud and both not very fun in normal driving. Get into a ZL1, Corvette, or Challenger and its fun both as a daily driver or hitting it at the drag strip. I am a vette owner and my daughter has a 392 challenger. So before you speak test drive one or maybe two and then take a spin a GT500 which by the way are sitting with dust on dealers lots. Check out auto trader and see how many are still for sale.
Well that settles it, the GT500 is a POS because the rags said it sucks in stop and go traffic. Please articulate why a 6 speed ZL1, Corvette, or Challenger are better in stop in go traffic than a GT500.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Cool Thanks for the info, My buddy who was there seems to throw hints at 10.8 but he also said it had Drag radials from what he saw? No big deal we will all see pretty soon just how fast it is in all areas. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Auto Motive

I own both cars and these comments are completely inaccurate IMO.
And LOL at GT500's supposedly "sitting with dust on dealer lots". Out of the entire '13/'14 GT500 production run, there are 185 cars remaining unsold in dealer inventory with 2014 half over and '15's months away. 44 of those are listed at over MSRP and 2 out of 3 are black or white.
While discounted slightly, Ford never offered incentives on them and sales pricing was VERY strong.
S.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Z06=Old News - 707 HP Dodge Hellcat=C7 ZR1 with 750hp