C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Order constraints - beware

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Default Order constraints - beware

Unfortunately, there is too much misinformation circulating about orders, and whether they're actually being processed. Without getting into a sordid discussion about it, every buyer should recognize that the GM ordering software system is NOT first in/first out.

Once every dealer gets their allocation letter/quantity off the GM website they will then have to be watching carefully every two weeks during their product consensus so as to not miss the week when the allocated Z06 will be available to have placed for production. So, whether the order was put in the system (and order number generated) yesterday or 3 months ago really doesn’t matter.

The real issue that everyone should be concerned about is the 100% random individual option constraint situation that we face when ordering cars. For example let’s say that your Z06 gets allocated to order the second week of Feb 2015. That week, the dealer must order a Z06 or they will lose the allocated unit, period. During that week of ordering, GM may have certain options on a constraint due to a number of reasons; like supplier capacity, etc. So, if you want an automatic and that week they are not building automatics the dealer must either order a manual or lose the unit. Then the dealer's next chance would be when his/her next Z06 is allocated, with the hope that they are building automatics then.

This was the same issue with the Z51 option all thru 2014 ordering. So, a dealer who gets 10 may end up not getting an option they want for each of the ten orders depending on how the constraints fall. The constraint situations can be 100% luck of the draw…….

Unfortunately for me, luck is seldom on my side.

Last edited by Glenn Quagmire; 08-29-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 PM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Unfortunately, there is too much misinformation circulating about orders, and whether they're actually being processed. Without getting into a sordid discussion about it, every buyer should recognize that the GM ordering software system is NOT first in/first out.

Once every dealer gets their allocation letter/quantity off the GM website they will then have to be watching carefully every two weeks during their product consensus so as to not miss the week when the allocated Z06 will be available to have placed for production. So, whether the order was put in the system (and order number generated) yesterday or 3 months ago really doesn’t matter.

The real issue that everyone should be concerned about is the 100% random individual option constraint situation that we face when ordering cars. For example let’s say that your Z06 gets allocated to order the second week of Feb 2015. That week, the dealer must order a Z06 or they will lose the allocated unit, period. During that week of ordering GM may have certain options on a constraint due to a number of reasons; like supplier capacity, etc. So, if you want an automatic and that week they are not building automatics the dealer must either order a manual or loose the unit. Then the dealer's next chance would be when his/her next Z06 is allocated, with the hope that they are building automatics then.

This was the same issue with the Z51 option all thru 2014 ordering. So, a dealer who gets 10 may end up not getting an option they want for each of the ten orders depending on how the constraints fall. The constraint situations can be 100% luck of the draw…….

Great information but how do you know. Are you a dealer?
Old 08-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jklein7
Great information but how do you know. Are you a dealer?
Thanks. I'm not a dealer, but happen to know a GM district sales manager because I buy a lot of fleet vehicles. Needless to say, I've been talking to him a lot lately. Too bad it won't help me get a car any faster
Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I feel like my car should not be hit by constraints. You never know, but I don't see any of the following being an issue.

Must haves

Coupe
CF mirrors
Standard roof
Black wheels
2LZ
Painted ground effects
Batt tender
7 speed

Might order

Comp seats
Nav/PDR
CF Stinger
Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

The bottom line is when a dealer takes your order and deposit, and gives you a copy of the order, you will get your car. It is just a matter of when. It could be a month or it could be a year or longer. So once you have an order, sit back an relax. Your car will come. And good things are worth waiting for.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Any known current Stingray constraints at this time like competition seats and transparent roof?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM
93LT1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great info..thx Glenn
Old 08-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Well I hope it wont be too bad. I don't want my car till spring so I figure ordering in Feb or March should be pretty safe time to order?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:24 AM
M2k2ind
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
I feel like my car should not be hit by constraints. You never know, but I don't see any of the following being an issue.

Must haves

Coupe
CF mirrors
Standard roof
Black wheels
2LZ
Painted ground effects
Batt tender
7 speed

Might order

Comp seats
Nav/PDR
CF Stinger
Oh yeah, battery tender... Delayed order for sure
Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire

The real issue that everyone should be concerned about is the 100% random individual option constraint situation that we face when ordering cars. For example let’s say that your Z06 gets allocated to order the second week of Feb 2015. That week, the dealer must order a Z06 or they will lose the allocated unit, period. During that week of ordering, GM may have certain options on a constraint due to a number of reasons; like supplier capacity, etc. So, if you want an automatic and that week they are not building automatics the dealer must either order a manual or lose the unit. Then the dealer's next chance would be when his/her next Z06 is allocated, with the hope that they are building automatics then.

Thanks Glenn for the clear description of GM's ordering system. An unfortunate result of this is that if you want to be sure of getting a car built promptly with minimum hassles you need to from one of the big Corvette dealers. Then when constraints occur (as they always do) the dealer can match up his various orders with options available to him that week. Many times options are constrained to a certain percent nationwide. For example last week the standard painted roof was constrained to 35%. A big dealer gets a number of allocations each consensus. He'll be offered a few of those constrained items and can match them up with his sold orders. A small or medium sized dealer might be offered only one car that consensus and not be offered the desired option, time after time. That's why in 2014 some guys waiting for Z51 at smaller dealers never got a car.

Last edited by ZL-1; 08-30-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:38 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by M2k2ind
Oh yeah, battery tender... Delayed order for sure

...but in 2014 that standard roof was constrained much of the year
Old 08-30-2014, 01:16 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hope they are caught up on roof panels so cant only order glass ones when z production starts!
as well as cfz effects
Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Interesting......I plan on waiting until the hype is over. I have no patience for this at all....LOL
Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZL-1

...but in 2014 that standard roof was constrained much of the year
Did not know that.. Had both tops in my 94. Never used the clear top, in fact hated it. probably wouldn't keep me from going forward though.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Thanks Glenn for the clear description of GM's ordering system. An unfortunate result of this is that if you want to be sure of getting a car built promptly with minimum hassles you need to from one of the big Corvette dealers. Then when constraints occur (as they always do) the dealer can match up his various orders with options available to him that week. Many times options are constrained to a certain percent nationwide. For example last week the standard painted roof was constrained to 35%. A big dealer gets a number of allocations each consensus. He'll be offered a few of those constrained items and can match them up with his sold orders. A small or medium sized dealer might be offered only one car that consensus and not be offered the desired option, time after time. That's why in 2014 some guys waiting for Z51 at smaller dealers never got a car.

Excellent point!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:02 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

No one, not even the dealer has any control over when your car will be produced!

After the order is placed it is out of the dealers hands!!

How do I know!

I was number 1 for Stingray at McMulkin!

I placed my order ASAP! There were No constraints on my order!

Cars were getting built all around me!

I didn't get my car till Oct 28th.

I had ordered in first consensus!

For whatever reason Production team hadn't selected my car to be built!

Watching others getting their car weeks ahead of me had me starting to get upset that no could answer why!

This time with the Z I know to just relax, it will get here!

Have 9400 miles on the Stingray!

The car is great!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
No one, not even the dealer has any control over when your car will be produced!

After the order is placed it is out of the dealers hands!!

How do I know!

I was number 1 for Stingray at McMulkin!

I placed my order ASAP! There were No constraints on my order!

Cars were getting built all around me!

I didn't get my car till Oct 28th.

I had ordered in first consensus!

For whatever reason Production team hadn't selected my car to be built!

Watching others getting their car weeks ahead of me had me starting to get upset that no could answer why!

This time with the Z I know to just relax, it will get here!

Have 9400 miles on the Stingray!...

The car is great!
Wow! I have a similar story.

I was #3 on Les Stanford's first allocation for the 2014. I put down my deposit in August 2012 and placed my order the 1st day it opened in April.

However, I picked just about every option including Z51, Mag ride, 7-speed, FAY, exposed carbon fiber roof, clear roof, 3LT, museum delivery, etc.. I checked the status every day after they started shipping. No VIN or production date scheduled in September. I was thinking what the hell is going on? I worried they would deliver it in November when the weather turned bad in Bowling Green.

Then on October 1, I got the call my car was built. I had to wait the 2 weeks while it was in quarantine and took delivery on October 17, 2014. VIN# is 02429. In hind sight, having a higher VIN# may be a good as I have no issues except for the software updates and the average orange peel.

I was the last of the 1st allocation of 25 to take delivery. But I think it had a lot to do with the museum delivery because they started it on October 1.

The bottom line is the once the dealer submits the order to GM, they have zero control. However, the salesman said the less options and basic color is, the sooner it will be built.

Get notified of new replies

To Order constraints - beware

Old 08-31-2014, 06:46 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

It would be nice if GM would prioritize sold orders vs. Dealer stock units... guess it really doesnt/shouldn't matter to them though.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

One can really go nuts trying to predict what might or might not be a constraint by the time the vehicle they ordered comes up for production and making sure their dealer is doing their job keeping tabs of their allocation.

I can neither be indifferent to it nor obsess over it. I will order the options I want and keep communicating with my dealer in the hope that they stay on top of it. After that it's up to the delivery gods. If it takes longer it takes longer, but I'm not going to sacrifice options I desire trying to time constraints, nor am I going to highjack my time obsessing about delivery time, nor am I going to place my order and never talk to my salesman again.

It's out money and they are selling their product, it's okay to be engaged but imho not okay to be stressed over it ... this is supposed to be fun, not an ordeal.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:00 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

The schedule must be done to keep the line rolling based on parts delivered. Paint colors are grouped in small batches. Who ordered first is not their highest priory.

Quick Reply: Order constraints - beware