C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Really tinkering between 2014 Viper or 2015 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:59 AM
tambeng
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Really tinkering between 2014 Viper or 2015 Z06

Since Dodge just slash the MSRP by $15k, it is competitively priced against the 2015 Z06

Anyone hear owns or has test drove a 2014 Viper?

Does anyone have any experience with the fit and finish and quality of 2014 Viper?.

Is the new Viper more forgiving than the older Viper for amateur?

I like the Viper because it is much more rare.

How is the resale value of a Viper?

Thank you all!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:03 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Not for me!

I want a car for DD & don't believe the Viper is that car!

Don't know about resale or how forgiving!
I know the Stingray is great car, as I just sold
mine!

I believe the Z06 will be great!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:06 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Go on you tube you ll find a complete head to head comparison between a 2014 viper and a Zr1.The Zr1 came out the clear favorite.Assuming the C7 Z06 will be an improved car over the outgoing Zr1 it seems to be a no brainer that the Z06 is the one to buy.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:13 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

When I was shopping in 2001, my opinion was that the Viper was a better race car than the Z06 I purchased, but not a better street car, and the performance was pretty close.
The new Vipers, have more of a safety net than the ones I drove, but recent C&D Lightning Lap doesn't make me think that a standard Viper will be much if any faster than the soon to be released Z06. As for fit and finish I think the Z06 will be better.
YMMV.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Go look
Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 AM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Viper/Z06

I just ordered a new Z06 and have a 97 blue/white Viper GTS that I will never sell. Viper under Bob Lutz who I met on a few occasions gave Viper a direction,a purpose and under his direction won Le Mans in 97. Viper / Dodge with the loss of Lutz to Corvette had no replacement visionary, thus the current situation of a great supercar with no direction. I had 3 from onset, was extremely active in club events and for the most part it is a shame what Corporate has done to this car. All in all I think the Vette would be a better purchase, as to time, collector value, it's had to say as todays youth plays a big part in desirability. Vipers productions numbers are smaller, but history plays a big part also in future collector prices. That is why I am still betting on my 97 GTS.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:45 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tambeng
Since Dodge just slash the MSRP by $15k, it is competitively priced against the 2015 Z06

Does anyone have any experience with the fit and finish and quality of 2014 Viper?.

Thank you all!

look up Boba Fett on this forum he had a ZR1 and now owns a new Viper and is very happy with it..have a chat with him he will help you out with your decision...either way good luck the Z06 I'm sure will be an awesome car and we already know the new Viper is an awesome car....
Old 09-14-2014, 10:54 AM
fang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The viper has changed a lot in its 5th Gen configuration. I bought a 2013 GTS and they drive more like a sports car. The Z06 (C6) drives more like a GT car but handles great. When you drive a viper you have more of an "experience". It puts you in a mood. You get looks and thumbs up everywhere. Some people love that, some don't.

For a daily I would say vette all day
For weekend cruiser/racer viper

Resale is similar for both all things averaged.

The viper appears to be the clear winner in resale value from 96-10 but they have very low mileage on average compared to a vette
as they are not daily driven. If a viper and vette both had 50k miles they would probably be similar in price.

Last edited by fang; 09-14-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I did test drive a Viper. For whatever its worth to you I hated the way it feels. The seats are at such an angle to the pedals that it felt very uncomfortable to me. You need to at a minimum "sit in one" before you buy one. You will see what I mean.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 AM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm actually considering the same thing. Dodge want's to start moving some vipers and the price is a lot closer to Z06 now. Douchbag dealers trying to charge over MSRP for the Z06 will dive up viper sales. Time for some research.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a 2013 Viper and put 8500 miles on it before selling it last month, just scaling back to launch a new business. I daily drove it, well as much as possible not in snow/ice. You need to be flexible to get into it to say the least. Well, you sort of "fall" into it more than anything.

Looking at the Z06 or a '15 Viper, but with the voucher and new MSRP sort of hard to not be configuring a new Viper at the moment.

I will say, it is a phenomenal car. It was my first vehicle >300HP and I really didn't have any issues with it. Drove it in cold <32* weather and didn't have an issue. Rain, was fine as well. The ESC really helps a lot for driving on the street if you get on it (twice i could feel the backend get a little sloppy and the computer stepped in). Getting off the line was probably the hardest part of the car, the engine really gets alive around 3500RPM, so down low it feels groggy.

Personally, I don't think the C7's interior comes close to the Gen V Viper, quality wise. I was very impressed with the Gen V's interior.

If you go the Gen V route, buy a corsa exhaust, it has a ****** drone around 2000RPM (in 6th that is ~65MPH)

In reality it is what you want. The cars are very similar performance wise. 99% of buyers won't be able to see differences out of the two from the minutia differences in design. So, buy what appeals to you.

Big win IMO for the Z06 is the A8. If the Viper had a DCTish tranny it would be amazing.

At the moment, the resale value sucks, I ate about $40k between buying and selling price. But such is life. I think with the lowered price and them cutting back production to a 30 day supply the resale values will pickup a bit from what they were 2013-2014.

I'd say drive both and see what you like. The Viper feels very "tight" inside, so if you are tall (>6'3'') or heavy you'll have a harder time being comfortable. The C7 felt like a BMW 750iL to me after the Viper lmao.

If you are getting a base SRT, the option I'd skip on is the leather seats, not worth it for $3k...
Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Let me help you a little. I currently own a 2014 Gen V viper. Just sold my C7 z51. I have a Z06 on order. I have tracked both vehicles.

Couple of highlights
-viper is a much more exotic attention getting car
-viper is not a vehicle I would want to drive every day or on a long trip
-viper has a loud exhaust and gets hot inside
-I was personally slower in my viper than the C7 on my home track road Atlanta
-the two cars have a different driving style you must get use too

I have the $15,000 off voucher and trying to decide if I should hold it till the 2015 or 2016 model viper comes out. I will however be getting my Z06 as well.

PM me if you would like to talk about the two over the phone. To many trolls in this forum
Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

New vipers are totally different machines than the old ones.... I'd totally hit it.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:54 PM
tws
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

viper all the way! It would be in the garage if I could fit!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:11 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Let me see a 15yr old design or a brand new designed Z06.Its really a no brainer if you can get a Z06
Old 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
New vipers are totally different machines than the old ones.... I'd totally hit it.
They are not totally different than the old
Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

ZO6:

- Better overall mechanical engineering package
- Better Daily Driver (ZO7 probably closes the gap)
- Probably an easier car to drive fast.

Viper:

- Better exterior fit and finish (No doubt in my mind after examining both)
- Better Paint
- Interior quality looks better (IMO)

Performance wise, the ZO6, in its highest performance form, will probably be faster around a track. However, they will be so close that picking one over the other because of any perceived performance delta, is ridiculous (IMO).

Get notified of new replies

To Really tinkering between 2014 Viper or 2015 Z06

Old 09-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
ZO6:

- Better overall mechanical engineering package
- Better Daily Driver (ZO7 probably closes the gap)
- Probably an easier car to drive fast.

Viper:

- Better exterior fit and finish (No doubt in my mind after examining both)
- Better Paint
- Interior quality looks better (IMO)

Performance wise, the ZO6, in its highest performance form, will probably be faster around a track. However, they will be so close that picking one over the other because of any perceived performance delta, is ridiculous (IMO).
But you could pick the Z06 because you want a removable roof, or an automatic, or available CCB's, or an integrated PDR or a host of other reasons.
IMO, this $15k reduction/vouched program is a last ditch effort to save Viper. Fiat and Sergio Marchionne don't care about Viper...he just took over Ferrari, and that's going to be their focus. It's too bad, because the car could have been so much better after 20+ years.

S.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
But you could pick the Z06 because you want a removable roof, or an automatic, or available CCB's, or an integrated PDR or a host of other reasons.
Agreed. Depending on personal preference, there are many reasons to pick either. I think these two cars are a vary valid comparison now that Viper pricing has decreased. I would no blame anyone for picking one over the other.

If I were a professional driver who needed to choose one to win a race, I would pick the ZO7. Aside from that scenario, for the novice/amateur driver (99% of this forum), the Viper TA and the ZO7 will basically cancel themselves out performance wise.

Personally, I think the viper looks better...that is the determining factor for me because they compare so evenly in all other respects (IMO). I saw the Viper parked next to a Z51 Corvette at an auto show last year and remember thinking that the exterior design of the ZO6 would have to be a major upgrade over the C7 Z51 in order to compete with the viper from a looks perspective. Looks are subjective though.

The C7 was MUCH more comfortable to sit in. I felt engulfed by the interior of the viper when I sat in it. I am sure it rides smoothy, but the seating position alone would make me not want to daily drive the car. That said, looking at the two side by side, the Viper looked much more exotic/expensive.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 09-14-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
look up Boba Fett on this forum he had a ZR1 and now owns a new Viper....
here I am-Here I am, the method man My man Keith always keeping it real
Originally Posted by LFZ
I'd totally hit it.
Is that all u think about, well u know I aint mad atcha!!

I always felt the TA model was competitively priced $120,480 and quite a few sold for under that, I got over ten off MSRP
33XX pounds
640 HP
600 TQ
2014 TA model
Cant speak on C7's but I can tell you the paint and total fit and finish of my Viper is way beyond any vette Ive ever owned and I've owned a few including an 11 ZR1 which Keith advised. The Int is also amazing.
I can only tell you that is what I certainly believe and heard from prior year owners, this is my 1st snake
Dont care what all the so called tough guys who say they dont give a chyt to any degree of what other people think (hand jerking ****), its absolutely cool to drive such a rare care and it influenced my decision
My take on this is get what you like and enjoy it like tomorrow is not coming, the only return I look for with these type of purchases is pleasure

This comparison is for the C6ZR.
Although similar, they are still quite different in many ways. The vette will naturally always have a larger following because it is more of a comprimising car that offers civility yet is still a beast. The Viper from the get go was designed to attract a smaller make up of enthusiasts with its rawness and harsch attitude.

I dont dd mine but know of quite a few gen 5 owners that do and are happy about it. The thing is these owners embrace what the Viper is. It is simply a more raw, tighter cabin(d), racy street car that is not very comprimising when compared to most other cars.

Theres no way that I (myself) would want to take a long trip in a Viper. I drive these cars to have spirited fun and an occasional trip to the track so with that being said I dont take any of my "toy" cars on long trips.

With the Gen V, I wouldnt let the Viper reputation of biting the driver influence you not to buy it. There are aids on the car and like I said, Ive heard they're quite different from prior gens.

Lastly, I would avoid convo with fanboys and just listen to the thoughts of the car guys if you can weed them out. I am not brand loyal in any way and ALL cars have issues of some sort but I will say knowing that C7's are now starting to pop is really concerning to say the least. I wish you the best of luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: Really tinkering between 2014 Viper or 2015 Z06