C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Question about stitching

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 AM
C7envy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about stitching

If I do color override, can I get a 3lz black interior zo6 with red stitching?

I know for the zr1 you could get red, blue, and yellow stitching, I am surprised they don't offer options on this car.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Color override does not allow you to add stitching options that don't exist. The color of the stitch is tied to the interior color.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 AM
68RPOL71
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
Color override does not allow you to add stitching options that don't exist. The color of the stitch is tied to the interior color.
I was really hoping for Red stitching on Black interior, but all I'm seeing is white stitching ... my 2013 has the charcoal with Red stitching and it's great!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM
C7envy
Racer

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
But it does exist. If I get a red interior then I get red stitching. So that is why I am wondering would it allow a black interior but red stitching.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 68RPOL71
I was really hoping for Red stitching on Black interior, but all I'm seeing is white stitching ... my 2013 has the charcoal with Red stitching and it's great!
I have seen posts where people use some sort of "dye pen" to change the color of stitching. It seems to work extremely well. I'd guess going from white to red stitching on black leather this process would work really well.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
I have seen posts where people use some sort of "dye pen" to change the color of stitching. It seems to work extremely well. I'd guess going from white to red stitching on black leather this process would work really well.
I did this with my coupe. Jet Black interior automatically comes with a very light gray stitch. Take a quick trip to any craft store (Micheal's etc...) and pick up a fabric dye pen. Just ask the front desk. They typically come in normal and fine point. I got the normal point and did the entire interior with one pen, although if you are rough you may eat up the tip during the project, so buying an extra pen may be a good idea (they cost around $5 ea.).

Also, I started the job in an obscure area to test the absorption rate. I found that the 2LT leather didn't absorb the dye very well, which is good. It allowed me to do about a 6 inch section at a time, then wipe the excess with microfiber, then repeat. Total time: less than 1 hour for EVERY STITCH

P.S. I've been sitting on them for a few month now, nothing has bled into my clothes etc... I have noticed a the top few stitches on my shifter are starting to fade, but that is all, and it is very minimal. I attribute that to the hot weather and sweaty hands.

Last edited by mdiiulio; 09-16-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 PM
C7envy
Racer

Yea that is way too much effort for me. I'd rather just wait then until they offer it. I'm sure they will.

I won't be ordering a zo6 till end of next year when I can get my 10k off MSRP. My local dealer is willing to do it after their initial rush of orders has been filled.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Just because red stitching exists as a package with red seats does not mean that it's an option that you can get with the all black interior. Late in the production run of C6's they added some alacart options (like the stitching color choices). No way to tell if they will do the same with the C7 next year, or ever. If you hold out the red stitching might be available about the same time as a 10K discount on a Z06, around 2018.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:51 PM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
I did this with my coupe. Jet Black interior automatically comes with a very light gray stitch. Take a quick trip to any craft store (Micheal's etc...) and pick up a fabric dye pen. Just ask the front desk. They typically come in normal and fine point. I got the normal point and did the entire interior with one pen, although if you are rough you may eat up the tip during the project, so buying an extra pen may be a good idea (they cost around $5 ea.).

Also, I started the job in an obscure area to test the absorption rate. I found that the 2LT leather didn't absorb the dye very well, which is good. It allowed me to do about a 6 inch section at a time, then wipe the excess with microfiber, then repeat. Total time: less than 1 hour for EVERY STITCH

P.S. I've been sitting on them for a few month now, nothing has bled into my clothes etc... I have noticed a the top few stitches on my shifter are starting to fade, but that is all, and it is very minimal. I attribute that to the hot weather and sweaty hands.

Looks awesome; good job Bro!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by C7envy
Yea that is way too much effort for me. I'd rather just wait then until they offer it. I'm sure they will.

I won't be ordering a zo6 till end of next year when I can get my 10k off MSRP. My local dealer is willing to do it after their initial rush of orders has been filled.
If you're in LA I'll knock it out for a case of beer and a test drive
Old 09-16-2014, 05:10 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

But it does exist. If I get a red interior then I get red stitching. So that is why I am wondering would it allow a black interior but red stitching.
No. Color Override exists solely to allow you to order a combination of interior and exterior colors that are not normally offered -- like an Adrenaline Red interior for a Sunset Orange car. Or to pick a convertible top color that is not offered with a given exterior color -- like a blue top on a Torch Red car.

There is no option to choose only the armrests or only the console or only the stitching in a particular color. Those items are offered only in the same color as the seats. However, you can do it yourself. There are many threads in the C6 section about people who have painted the threads in their cars to another color.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck on that prayer
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
If you're in LA I'll knock it out for a case of beer and a test drive
That's a good deal!

Get notified of new replies