C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Question for buyers serious about DSOM

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Question for buyers serious about DSOM

What roof is your preference for the DSOM? My order is body colored and transparent but could be changed before Tuesday. My logic for this selection was if I desired the black roof, put on the transparent which appears black on the outside, so this combination allows two different looks. My consideration of the visible CF roof panel is probably driven by the belief that the cost of that roof with the car is significantly less than purchasing it later, and I do like the body colored spears on the sides of the visible carbon roof. Several of you ordering DSOM have listed your builds but few have indicated what roof they ordered. Thanks for sharing your preferences and logic for them.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mu$cle
What roof is your preference for the DSOM? My order is body colored and transparent but could be changed before Tuesday. My logic for this selection was if I desired the black roof, put on the transparent which appears black on the outside, so this combination allows two different looks. My consideration of the visible CF roof panel is probably driven by the belief that the cost of that roof with the car is significantly less than purchasing it later, and I do like the body colored spears on the sides of the visible carbon roof. Several of you ordering DSOM have listed your builds but few have indicated what roof they ordered. Thanks for sharing your preferences and logic for them.
I ordered the standard roof. I also already have a transparent roof left over from my Stingray. I think the visible carbon fiber roof would look great.

As you know from this forum there are so many differences in taste when it comes to colors in the car and the color of the wheels. In my case I got the chrome wheels.

If you have the CFV Carbon Fiber Ground Effects, I think the visible carbon roof would go very well with the overall colors. If you got CFZ, the visible carbon roof now adds an additional color to the mix of a lot of black and orange. In the pics of DSOM (Stingray) that I had posted on this forum I thought it was a bit bit dark for me with the dark wheels and dark transparent roof. But others love it.

In my Stingray TR I liked the TR painted roof on the car for over all look on the outside than I did the transparent, but on a trip I loved the transparent roof. To be able to see out of it and felt like there was more room in the car when the roof was transparent.

20 posts here will have 20 different answers. Of course cost can also be a factor. That roof is difficult to buy later, a transparent is easy and only $1,500 later. As you know this car looks great in any display - it just comes down to you. I think you will be a bit different than others as not that many pay for that option. The options on the ZO6 add up quick and easily over 100k with them all. I think most all like the roof, its just one of the options that one can live without if we have to choose a cost eliminator.

Last edited by Bmbarney; 10-19-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I ordered mine with the visible CF roof (C2Z) because I just love the CF appearance, however if I elected not to get that or it was on constraint, I would go with just the standard body colored roof panel and order the 2nd panel separately ($995 or less) thru a distributor. Seems like you would be paying an extra 1K for something that is otherwise free.

ROOF COUPE OPTIONS
C2M – EXPOSED CARBON & GLASS 2/3LZ PKG $2995
C2Q – FULL PAINTED CARBON FIBER & GLASS 2/3LZ PKG $1995
C2Z – VISIBLE CARBON FIBER $1995
CC3 – TRANSPARENT GLASS $995
Old 10-19-2014, 10:32 AM
6SHIFTIN
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What color interior are you getting if you don't mind me asking and in 1LZ, 2LZ or 3LZ. This will impact the overall orange to black color combination.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I ordered mine with the visible CF roof (C2Z) because I just love the CF appearance, however if I elected not to get that or it was on constraint, I would go with just the standard body colored roof panel and order the 2nd panel separately ($995 or less) thru a distributor. Seems like you would be paying an extra 1K for something that is otherwise free.

ROOF COUPE OPTIONS
C2M – EXPOSED CARBON & GLASS 2/3LZ PKG $2995
C2Q – FULL PAINTED CARBON FIBER & GLASS 2/3LZ PKG $1995
C2Z – VISIBLE CARBON FIBER $1995
CC3 – TRANSPARENT GLASS $995
You have seen the transparent for 995$ somewhere after the fact? I think its only 995 more when being built as its an upgrade from the painted, but now you dont have a painted. I have seen 1,500 but did not ever see that low of a cost, I must have missed it.

Last edited by Bmbarney; 10-19-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:23 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

I ordered the body color and transparent roofs. I have an exposed cf roof that I bought aftermarket. The aftermarket roof does not have any body color on it. Once I can be positive that it fits ok I will have the edges painted DSOM.

Constraints on roof packages existed for a long time with the Stingray, and that's how I ended up with body color and clear to start off. I think each roof brings something to the car, but I have used the clear most of the time.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bmbarney
You have seen the transparent for 995$ somewhere after the fact? I think its only 995 more when being built as its an upgrade from the painted, but now you dont have a painted. I have seen 1,500 but did not ever see that low of a cost, I must have missed it.
No, I haven't checked on that, but assuming the color roof is standard and you add $1500 (aftermarket) for the glass, that would still be cheaper ($495) than the $1995 combo. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, not sure.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

I haven't decided on a roof panel as of yet. From experience though with my 04 CE coupe. The color matched roof panel has been on the car 2x since I've owned it. I leave the transparent panel in due to the fact , for me anyway that it makes the interior seem more roomy/open compared to the color matched which I think makes it feel smaller/claustrophobic. JMO
Old 10-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for all your responses.

Originally Posted by 6SHIFTIN
What color interior are you getting if you don't mind me asking and in 1LZ, 2LZ or 3LZ. This will impact the overall orange to black color combination.
The car will have 3LZ jet black interior and black wheels.

No, I haven't checked on that, but assuming the color roof is standard and you add $1500 (aftermarket) for the glass, that would still be cheaper ($495) than the $1995 combo. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, not sure.
This point presents an interesting dilemma. There is a current ebay add for a transparent roof from a GM parts house for $1795 (shipping included and no sales tax). There is another for $1500 from an individual with 0 feedback score = risky. I saw another post where someone used an aftermarket transparent top and they could never eliminate the rattles, implying the transparent provided with the car would have a better fit and no rattles. Now the question is whether saving up to $500 purchasing the transparent separate from the car is worth any potential fitment issues.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all your responses.

The car will have 3LZ jet black interior and black wheels.

This point presents an interesting dilemma. There is a current ebay add for a transparent roof from a GM parts house for $1795 (shipping included and no sales tax). There is another for $1500 from an individual with 0 feedback score = risky. I saw another post where someone used an aftermarket transparent top and they could never eliminate the rattles, implying the transparent provided with the car would have a better fit and no rattles. Now the question is whether saving up to $500 purchasing the transparent separate from the car is worth any potential fitment issues.
Good points all! I also saw one advertised on this site for $1400 (sold, $595 savings), and others that will come available since 37,000 C7's are out there. Some purchased the dual roofs only due to constraints.

I expect the OEM glass roof will come down in price through distributors.

I do agree it may not be worth the wait or hassle for $500 in savings for some. I was unaware that the $995 price was for factory order on the car only, so only $500 savings may not be worth the inconvenience of buying separately.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

agreed. But don't try to do it the other way around.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

BTW I believe that aftermarket exposed CF roof was $3400 if I can remember

Get notified of new replies

To Question for buyers serious about DSOM

Quick Reply: Question for buyers serious about DSOM