C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Just bought a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 PM
topspeedPT
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Nice spec.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:28 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I've never owned a Corvette, or an american car for that matter, but this car really nailed it for me
This just proves that GM accomplished what it set out to do with the C7 line-up
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dlparsons
Per the Online Ordering Guide:

"FE6 Suspension, Performance Ride and Handling with Magnetic Selective Ride Control - shows standard on all models

FE7 Suspension, Z07 with Magnetic Selective Ride Control - included with Z07 Performance Package

Z07 Performance Package, includes (J57) 4-wheel anti-lock, 4-wheel disk, carbon ceramic brakes, FE7 Z07 suspension with Magnetic Selective Ride Control, XFM front P285/30ZR19 and rear P335/25ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2 summer-only run flat tires, and level 3 Aero Package. Requires CFZ Carbon Fiber Package or CFV Carbon Fiber Visible Package"

So you're into the package for over $11k for a stiffer suspense, ceramic brakes and Sport Cup tires (which are horrible in any kind of weather from what I've heard). IMO, if you're not tracking the car, the stiffer suspension is not an asset and you can always change your brake pads out to ceramic for a fraction of the price. Carbon ceramic disks are known for being easily broken and VERY costly to replace. And they are being serious about those tires being "summer" only - don't take them out on a cool spring or fall morning or you're in for a slippery ride.
1) Every ZR1 has CCB's. Please show me the long list of ZR1 owners complaining how easily their carbon rotors have broken. And how much they have paid to replace them.

2) Vettes are primarily driven in warm summer like temperatures. Sure things could get a lil slippery in spring/fall mornings.. but after a few minutes of driving the tires will have some heat into them and provide more than enough grip for obeying local speed limits.

If you dont want the Z07 package. Then great.. dont get it. But please stop trying to scare everyone else from getting it. The Z07 package is nothing new. It is the same package that was offered with the "Cup" wheels on the 2011, 2012 and 2013 Z06 & ZR1. Those cars sold fairly well and people didnt have issues driving those vehicles on regular roads and under normal conditions. Even someone with half a brain realizes the Z07 is the maximum performance package on a 650hp vehicle.. which means you drive it with care and great attention.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 10-24-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
If you dont want the Z07 package. Then great.. dont get it. But please stop trying to scare everyone else from getting it. [B] The Z07 package is nothing new.
Not trying to scare anyone, if someone wants to spend the money on the Z07 for street use - more power to them. Just trying to help others on the forum who may or may not have had all the information on the Z07 package or may not have considered all of what that package entails.

I find that it's nice to be able to make an informed decision when I spend my money instead of just buying a package because it sounds like a good idea. Once someone has all the information, they can then better choose if a particular option will be right for their type of driving.

Personally, I've been doing a TON of reading & research. The purchase of this Z06 is a HUGE investment of my hard earned money. I've never spent this kind of money on any one purchase other than a home, and I want to make sure I'm not going to regret any of my personal decisions. Research is also my way of getting my Vette fix while I wait for them to remove the constraints that are preventing my order from going to 3000. I sold my C6 two weeks ago in preparation for the Z06 and have no idea if I will even get a car in 2015 - so reading and researching is what I'm doing to try and fill that hole in my life right now.

I am simply relaying information I have gathered through my research both from Corvette owners, from those that track and autocross Corvettes as well as other brands of cars and then sharing this information that I have gotten from more experienced drivers than myself. These drivers that I have spoken with have driven and raced on Sport Cup tires, as well as those that have had ceramic rotors break or have seen them break, etc.

Hopefully, I may have brought up some issues that someone may not have considered. If someone is concerned about any of the issues I bring up here, they will hopefully then take that as an opportunity to do their own research so that when they spend their money, the are pleased with their final decisions as I know I will be.

I know when I first looked at the Z06, I thought I'd add the Z07 option. I knew I was going to autocross the car, and I went in thinking, in for a dollar, in for a pound - might as well go all the way. But then I started taking the time to observe how stock C6, Grand Sports, C6 Z06s and C7s were doing on actual AX courses. I watched the roll and how the suspensions handled on each car. I saw how well the C7 Stingrays were handling compared to the C6 Grand Sport, which is what I had, and even appeared better than stock C6 Z06s. I knew the C7 Z06 was going to be even better equipped as far as suspension than the Stingray. I then read what others were saying about the C7 Z07 suspension here on the forum. I also know what it's like to drive a car with a stiff suspension on the road as I have a race-prepped Miata (yes, I realize that it's a totally different animal), but the last thin I want is a very expensive car (ie the Z06 with track suspension) that may be uncomfortable for enjoyment on the street.

Also, I spoke with seasoned AX and Track drivers about the Sport Cup tire and it's practicality for street use as well. I have personally driven and autocrossed my C6 Grand Sport on the same model of tire that will come with the Z06 and LOVE the tire compared to the old Goodyear. I have not driven on the Sport Cup buy, again, I've spoken with people who do use them. It was my decision after all that research and personal observations in a real-world setting for MY use, that the Z06 suspension would be plenty stiff enough for street and autocross use for the way I drive. And if I want Sport Cup tires for AX, I will just buy another set of rims and tires for that use.

I know that the brakes on the Z06 will be more than adequate for my use on the street and in Autocross because I know that the Grand Sport brakes were plenty good enough. I won't be drag racing or road racing, and the street speed limits are the same whether I have 450 or 650hp, and AX courses will max out grip long before I get close to using all the speed capabilities, therefore, I'm confident that I don't need the oversized brakes that come with the Z07. FYI chipped rotors are common enough that they actually make rotor protectors for them, here's a thread on that solution to the problem. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rotectors.html They get damaged taking wheels on and off, which, if you are tracking a car, happens a lot. On a street car, less often. But, once chipped, they are worthless and need to be replaced and that is not cheap. They aren't going to break from driving, they get damaged when you take the wheels off and accidentally hit them with your rim as you try and handle the very large, heavy tires. Personally, I had no idea that CC rotors could chip until I was at an autocross a couple months ago and the topic came up. I assume (and we all know what that word means) that if I didn't know, there may be others out there that may not know this either. I do not profess to know much, but I know I am not alone in that boat and I hope my observations will at least let others be more informed about their decisions. That's why we're here on the forum in the first place, to learn more about these cars from lots of different sources.

ps. I never said there was a "long list of ZR1 owners complaining". I simply said that they are easily broken - which is true, hit them with a wheel as you're taking a tire on or off, you chip them and you then throw them away and buy a new one. They are $1700 each for the fronts! That's a costly chip in my book.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dlparsons
I simply said that they are easily broken - which is true, hit them with a wheel as you're taking a tire on or off, you chip them and you then throw them away and buy a new one. They are $1700 each for the fronts! That's a costly chip in my book.
A chip off the old buck...so to speak! (Sorry, the devil made me do it!)

I really wanted the CCBs. Almost exclusively for street use. The Cup tires not so much. The aero? Well yes and no.

But then the ride quality issue reared its ugly head. Now I'm thinking less ride quality for street, tires certainly not optimized for street, and brake rotors that some shops will not touch when the car is bought in for service. The straw may of just broke the camel's back.

So I then asked myself, if I had a non Z07 car, would I spend maybe $8K, or more (rotors, pads, calipers) to upgrade to CCB? Would they really be $8K better than the "standard" Z06 brakes? Compared to other things $8K can buy?

dlparsons is posts are valid and worthy of a read. Have an open mind...the posts might prevent someone from making a bad decision for the wrong reasons.

I want to hear some credible feedback on the Z07 ride quality. Then I'll make my final decision.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 AM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
A chip off the old buck...so to speak! (Sorry, the devil made me do it!)

I really wanted the CCBs. Almost exclusively for street use. The Cup tires not so much. The aero? Well yes and no.

But then the ride quality issue reared its ugly head. Now I'm thinking less ride quality for street, tires certainly not optimized for street, and brake rotors that some shops will not touch when the car is bought in for service. The straw may of just broke the camel's back.

So I then asked myself, if I had a non Z07 car, would I spend maybe $8K, or more (rotors, pads, calipers) to upgrade to CCB? Would they really be $8K better than the "standard" Z06 brakes? Compared to other things $8K can buy?

dlparsons is posts are valid and worthy of a read. Have an open mind...the posts might prevent someone from making a bad decision for the wrong reasons.

I want to hear some credible feedback on the Z07 ride quality. Then I'll make my final decision.
Very sound decision make processes. I have been haunting my local dealership over the past couple weeks trying to make some final decisions on my interior choices before I have to commit (still waiting for them to remove the Convertible restraints). I made a similar process of discovery over the interiors. I was going to go all out and buy the 3lz, then it dawned on me, regardless of what Chevy has done with the interior, I will never be happy with it straight from the factory. So I've decided to "downsize" and go with the 2LZ, which will look identical to the 3LZ to anyone looking at the car, and I will add the suede uppers and Nav, then I have the 3LZ minus the very slightly softer "napa" leather. I will then go to the same people who did my interior in my C6 and order custom top-grain Italian leather seat skins in a custom pattern that I choose and still be a couple thousand in the black and have a custom interior instead of it being what everyone else has ordered.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Congratulations and welcome. That's the way to jump in with both feet!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:51 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the car!
Hate to say this but can't see the areo stuff doing too well on the street. You can already see the damage to the front splitter in the first pic. Getting it in carbon flash at least can maybe touch it up bit better. Getting it in carbon fiber can forget being able to touch it up would have to replace pieces if they took damage and in the real world of rumble strips, etc they will.

Personally hoping they offer a zero level aero package with no front splitter and bit narrower wheels and no fender spats.

I admit the aero does look interesting but don't think its practical on a street car.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Congratulations on your order!

Quick Reply: Just bought a Z06