C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The Z06 LT4 Will Handicap Other GM Models

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Vette Moto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Z06 LT4 Will Handicap Other GM Models

The American muscle and horsepower war is alive (at least with Doge and Ford?). GM would do itself and its fans a huge favor by revising the LT4 to produce 700HP+ by the time the Z06 goes on sale. Not only will this be good for marketing and bragging rights for the company and the Z06, but will allow GM to rate the HP in its other marquee performance models , the CTS-V and ZL1, to be more respectable relative to its competitors. If the horsepower pecking order seen in GM’s last gen performance line is any indication of the route GM is going to go this upcoming gen, then we can expect the next CTS-V and ZL1 to have less than 650HP, unless of course GM decides to break away from the traditional pecking order in its lineup. But say that it doesn’t, how will the next gen Camaro and CTS-V fare when the market has already seen beasts such as 662HP Shelby Mustang and Dodge’s 707HP Hellcat in the Challenger and Charger? Can you imagine the new gen Camaro already outgunned by the last gun Mustang or the current Challenger? I know the CTS-V isn’t necessarily in the same class as the Charger, but from a 4 door muscle perspective, can you imagine GM’s marquee performance sedan being outgunned by a Dodge? Come on GM, revise that LT4 figure!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:04 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Not going to happen before production. Not a chance. Possibly for a future model year.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:01 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

That's what the ZORA is for.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Although I like my 2013 CTS-V it's a little weak for power compared to my C6Z06. Had the Charger been available at the time I'm afraid I just may have gone with the 707 hp Charger and for even less money.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:26 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I continue to be floored by the obsession with horsepower by the consuming public. Me, I understand and appreciate that the Z06, as bloated as it is, is some 900+ lbs lighter than the Hellcat. Does no one get how much a difference light weight makes? And not simply acceleration. EVERYTHING goes better. My little Radical SR8 with under 400 hp will CRUSH the Z06 on track and use up less fuel, tire, brake and rotor doing it.

On the other end, look how slow the Rolls Wraith is with 624 hp.

I am in the lunatic minority for sure, but I'd gladly take a Z06 with say 2500 lb and 550 hp and leave the ZR1 to be the heavier big power GT car.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
I continue to be floored by the obsession with horsepower by the consuming public. Me, I understand and appreciate that the Z06, as bloated as it is, is some 900+ lbs lighter than the Hellcat. Does no one get how much a difference light weight makes? And not simply acceleration. EVERYTHING goes better. My little Radical SR8 with under 400 hp will CRUSH the Z06 on track and use up less fuel, tire, brake and rotor doing it.

I am in the lunatic minority for sure, but I'd gladly take a Z06 with say 2500 lb and 550 hp and leave the ZR1 to be the heavier big power GT car.
I've always wondered, in the Radical, is there a speed under the maximum cornering speed for a given corner that you can't go because it is too fast for traction alone and there isn't enough aero to hold the car down, or is it progressive where there is always enough extra aero to progressively move the cornering speed up to the max for a given corner? Yeah, I know way off topic.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:40 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Moto
I know the CTS-V isn’t necessarily in the same class as the Charger, but from a 4 door muscle perspective, can you imagine GM’s marquee performance sedan being outgunned by a Dodge?
The CTS-V is designed to compete against the European brands of BMW, MB, and Audi, not something from America.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:41 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Oh sure, your Radical can crush the Z06, but how many stereo speakers does it have? What about cup holders? I bet it doesn't even have a place behind the Infotainment screen to store things.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The American muscle and horsepower war is alive (at least with Doge and Ford?). GM would do itself and its fans a huge favor by revising the LT4 to produce 700HP+ by the time the Z06 goes on sale. Not only will this be good for marketing and bragging rights for the company and the Z06, but will allow GM to rate the HP in its other marquee performance models , the CTS-V and ZL1, to be more respectable relative to its competitors. If the horsepower pecking order seen in GM’s last gen performance line is any indication of the route GM is going to go this upcoming gen, then we can expect the next CTS-V and ZL1 to have less than 650HP, unless of course GM decides to break away from the traditional pecking order in its lineup. But say that it doesn’t, how will the next gen Camaro and CTS-V fare when the market has already seen beasts such as 662HP Shelby Mustang and Dodge’s 707HP Hellcat in the Challenger and Charger? Can you imagine the new gen Camaro already outgunned by the last gun Mustang or the current Challenger? I know the CTS-V isn’t necessarily in the same class as the Charger, but from a 4 door muscle perspective, can you imagine GM’s marquee performance sedan being outgunned by a Dodge? Come on GM, revise that LT4 figure!
Years ago the same motor in the corvette was the same motor in other models. Sometimes they were rated different but were the same motor. There were exceptions such as the rule on cubic inches not being over 400 in mid size but that only lasted for a while

Some persons might point out how the L78 was rated at 425 in the corvette but only 375 in the chevelle............ however by 1970 the chevelle could be had with 450 that was more than the corvette had other than very early 66 L72 corvettes that were rated at 450 before the rating was changed to 425 for the same motor

After that the L72 was rated at 425 in midsize, full-size, and the camero. The corvette did get a lipstick addition tri power setup rated at 10 HP more that never did transmit into a performnce increase (albeit more than made up for it in value)

Bottom line is there is no reason not to have the same ZO6 LT4 in other GM models at the same level it is in the corvette........... They can reserve a halo turbo model for the ZR1 but that too will eventually find a "halo caddy" or something similar to grace.

Ford's trinity motor that made such big news in the GT500 is no more but the NA flat crank coming for the new GT350 and whatever powers the new Ford GT will simply insure the beat still goes on for now as Chrysler gets ready to release an SS V10 for the Viper.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Oh sure, your Radical can crush the Z06, but how many stereo speakers does it have? What about cup holders? I bet it doesn't even have a place behind the Infotainment screen to store things.
Oh, no! Got me. And the Valets can't figure out how to get it rolling without a stall. And the windshield wipers SUCK! Speed bumps, fuggedaboudit. And my gold chains flog my face at speed. And don't even get me started about how my mullet gets in my eyes when rolling anything over 60 mph. When I am on track I am just crying!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I continue to be floored by the obsession with horsepower by the consuming public. Me, I understand and appreciate that the Z06, as bloated as it is, is some 900+ lbs lighter than the Hellcat. Does no one get how much a difference light weight makes? And not simply acceleration. EVERYTHING goes better....
I agree completely. And I'm not sure GM cares about the Hellcat (or the Ford GT) and it's HP because HP is all the Hellcat has to offer with the vette being so much more.

We will not doubt in time see the HP on the vette continue to rise, but I think the HP oppressed among us greatly overestimate how many others share their oppression inside and outside GM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:09 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Ford and Dodge are about building big hammers.

Gm usually builds a more complete package.
Just drive any Camaro SS and then follow it up with a Mustang GT, on a track. It's immediately apparent which one is capable of destroying much more expensive cars....and the Camaro is running around on a Caprice chassis. The Mustang GT is a great car don't get me wrong. But there's a reason the Z28 was pit against the GTR and not the 600+ horsepower GT500. Because even with all that power, the winner wouldn't have been the mustang.

Sure if you want to go fast in a straight line... Hellcat.
If you want to actually turn.... well then... there's the Vette, and Camaro. 4500lbs isn't going to hang well against a 3800 or less pound car once things get twisty.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:39 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Rear wheel drive cars with to much HP just spin the tires, I don't get the point. Last journalist that test drove the Dodge said in a strait line its fun and scary & around corners your praying for your life. Give me balance any day of the week, which is why I prefer the European cars...
Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Ford and Dodge are about building big hammers.

Gm usually builds a more complete package,....
In my mind I've always thought of the vette as the American sports car and the Camaro, Mustang (one of the funnest cars I ever owned) Challenger, etc are muscle cars. Very different animals.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The Camaro is at a disadvantage because it can't surpass the Vette.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:40 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
the NA flat crank coming for the new GT350 and whatever powers the new Ford GT will simply insure the beat still goes on for now as Chrysler gets ready to release an SS V10 for the Viper.
Really interested in the "NA flat crank."
When will it be released?

What is a "SS V10"????
Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Really interested in the "NA flat crank."
When will it be released?
Should be an awesome motor, 8000 plus rpm in a fairly large NA displacement motor, something another famous car manufacture starting with an "F" could not accomplish.

You can probably find the latest info on it on one of the Blue Oval forums

What is a "SS V10"????
Super Charged V10

Get notified of new replies

To The Z06 LT4 Will Handicap Other GM Models

Old 10-25-2014, 07:08 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

700hp is asking a lot from a puny 1.6L blower that is already spun up to the moon to reach the current hp figure. Have you seen photos of the blower pulley on the LT4? It is already tiny. Those thinking they will easily swap on a smaller pulley, likely won't happen if the small one is already on there to begin with. You'd have to go with a larger crank pulley, and we aren't sure if there is room for that yet.

I feel they did the 1.6L blower to limit the Z06 from easily catching the next gen ZR1/Zora, which will likely have a much bigger supercharger on it.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:22 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default What a ridiculous thing to say.

The CTS-V is designed to compete against the European brands of BMW, MB, and Audi, not something from America.
So if i get what you re saying lets give a run to the m5 ,amg mercedes ,audi rs7, but lets purposely be slower than a charger which costs 15000 dollars less.Wow.You make sense.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

It's been proven since the 60's.. HP#'s does sell cars without doubt.

Quick Reply: The Z06 LT4 Will Handicap Other GM Models