C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 vs PDK, GM Propaganda?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
^^^this. That is _all_ that matters. This is how people drive a car when choosing a gear themselves (whether manual or an auto in "manual" mode). Delay, whether at part-throttle, or WOT is unacceptable.
Well...as I have stated ad nauseum...there is a delay between paddle pull and actual shift or rpm drop in the PDK and the GR6.
In normal or "Sport" mode with the PDK, I can actually call for the shift and the rpms don't drop until my thumb has already actuated the shifter and is back on the wheel (My 991 TT has a multifunction wheel). The GR6 is very similar. People that deny this are either a.) not Porsche PDK or GT-R owners, b.) not paying attention during their "test drives" or c.) being completely disingenuous.
At WOT, honestly, I don't manually shift either of these cars from a stop. They get through 1st gear so fast that in my experience, it's somewhat hard to time actuating the paddle before the engine hits the rev limiter (in the GT-R depending on R_mode it will shift automatically if that happens anyway). My experience in stretching out shift points at the drag strip provided very little if any benefit. It 'seemed' like the GT-R would have a slightly higher trap speed if the shift points were raised a little manually, but the ET was basically the same. I always figured this was related to the fact that it shifts right through the traps.
So you're left with driving around town, and there is a delay between paddle actuation and rpm drop/shift in both transmissions. Period.
Or, on track, and if any delay is consistent and remains that way, I fail to see how it will effect track performance considering the shifts will still be faster than what one could execute manually.
S.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Well...as I have stated ad nauseum...there is a delay between paddle pull and actual shift or rpm drop in the PDK and the GR6.
In normal or "Sport" mode with the PDK, I can actually call for the shift and the rpms don't drop until my thumb has already actuated the shifter and is back on the wheel (My 991 TT has a multifunction wheel). The GR6 is very similar. People that deny this are either a.) not Porsche PDK or GT-R owners, b.) not paying attention during their "test drives" or c.) being completely disingenuous.
At WOT, honestly, I don't manually shift either of these cars from a stop. They get through 1st gear so fast that in my experience, it's somewhat hard to time actuating the paddle before the engine hits the rev limiter (in the GT-R depending on R_mode it will shift automatically if that happens anyway). My experience in stretching out shift points at the drag strip provided very little if any benefit. It 'seemed' like the GT-R would have a slightly higher trap speed if the shift points were raised a little manually, but the ET was basically the same. I always figured this was related to the fact that it shifts right through the traps.
So you're left with driving around town, and there is a delay between paddle actuation and rpm drop/shift in both transmissions. Period.
Or, on track, and if any delay is consistent and remains that way, I fail to see how it will effect track performance considering the shifts will still be faster than what one could execute manually.
S.
Great input, thank you.

I don't have a GTR (have driven one), and don't own a PDK Porsche, but spent some time driving one at a track event. Loved the trans in that car, and felt like that was "as good" as a manual... the computer just "knew" what gear I should be in on corner approach and exit. All I had to do was focus on the track (and the car, since it was not mine...LOL). I walked away from that experience thinking that I could live with that trans in my 650+rwhp Corvette b/c that car is faster than I can drive, honestly.

I don't like three things about the 6L90E in my CTS-V in manual mode... 1) the buttons/paddles just stink. Steering wheel mounted paddles are not ideal. I think you have spoken about this with your GTR, they are on the column. Kudos to Nissan. Much better design. Turning the wheel means moving your hands slightly, which then can put the paddles in a poor spot. 2) part-throttle, around town manual shifting is terrible. Pull, wait 2 seconds, then it shifts. Shift speed is fine, it is just the delay that is awful. *For people who have never driven a stick trans, they do not know the difference, I understand. But I'm 46 and have been driving a stick for 30 years.* 3) When engaging in some "fun" in Mexico, and I manually put the car in 2nd gear (for sake of example only... could be any gear) and go WOT, I have to anticipate the upshift several hundred rpm before redline, otherwise it just bangs off the limiter. It could be said this is no different than a stick tranny... and that is true to a degree. However, I expect more from a "state of the art, performance" auto trans. As you have found with your GTR, leaving it full auto (Sport) mode, it is faster. However, from a rolling punch, I want to be able to control the downshift, so I do that manually... but then I'd rather the computer then take control of the ensuing upshifts once I step on the gas. I realize this sounds like I'm being picky, and it is more of a "driving style" issue than it is an all-out indictment against the transmission/transmission programming.

In all fairness, I want the A8 to be awesome. I am not going to sell my TT C5Z06, so I have a 6-speed to play with, and it is a lot of fun in its own right.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:42 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

As you said, the GTR will upshift for you if you're too slow on the draw with the paddle... I would/will be thrilled if GM will program that strategy into the A8 in the Z06. As I stated above, this shift strategy is not allowed in the A6 in my CTSV, and I am frustrated it isn't.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:58 AM
Richard Joash Tan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by West Coast Exotics
The new A8 is a disgrace. I believe they could have sold many more cars if they had used a DCT, and you can count me as a lost sale. Why on earth would you want an automatic in a hardcore sports car?
Because YOU ARE A BULLS*T!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 01:16 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
Join the 21st century. Leave both hands on the wheel and drive your car as fast as she can go. It's no wonder up to 80 % of those ordering the Z06 are going for the A8.

Auto's been around since the 20th century and still are the same.
80 percent is hogwash too! Old geezers with bad knees and sore shoulder's are leading the way.

Not a real driver if you think the A8 is as good a manual.
Even an A 10 would be no fun for me.

Quick Reply: A8 vs PDK, GM Propaganda?