C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 vs PDK, GM Propaganda?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys,

We've got 6 pages here-no one will come to any conclusions until the ZO6 comes out. Hell, when it does come out, you possibly will STILL not come to any conclusions.

My point is.....the ZO6 is not out yet and we're arguing 6 pages worth. I drove a 2015 C7 with the A8 transmission-it shifted just fine. I could barely tell the car shifted. How much does it really matter how many milliseconds it shifts????

DCT, torque converter, no torque converter.....after 6 pages, it makes for boring reading.
Well Steven,
The paint dried (finally) in my kitchen, so I got to read this thread. Pretty similar, actually.

Jimmy
Old 10-29-2014, 09:37 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
In comparing the videos, I honestly can't tell which tranny completes the shift, first. At 13 seconds in the 8L90 video, if you slo-mo it, the paddle is pulled right at 6000rpm, and the tach shows the shift completes by 6100 or 6200rpm. A few of the others were a little better or a little worse, and it's hard to judge accurately from the video. However, that's more than good enough to pull me away from the M7.

Good choice!
The A8 is a no-brainer and the video shows how fast this transmission shifts......welcome to the A8 Club.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GrinderZ06
Bob, the difference is there for everyone to see in those videos. If it required engineering-level measurements to discern the delay in the A8, I wouldn't have a problem with the A8's shift response.
I have seen the video and read the reviews...for me its obvious, the A8 is a fast shifting transmission. If you don't like the fast speed with which it shifts then don't buy.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys,

We've got 6 pages here-no one will come to any conclusions until the ZO6 comes out. Hell, when it does come out, you possibly will STILL not come to any conclusions.

My point is.....the ZO6 is not out yet and we're arguing 6 pages worth. I drove a 2015 C7 with the A8 transmission-it shifted just fine. I could barely tell the car shifted. How much does it really matter how many milliseconds it shifts????

DCT, torque converter, no torque converter.....after 6 pages, it makes for boring reading.

Thanks for your observations. Yes, the videos and reviews show the A8 is a fast shifting transmission. And you are simply concurring with what the majority has said on this topic. Some don't get it yet, but will in time.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM
GrinderZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see where a new A8 died and left a fellow member stranded....first edition of a new design and less than optimal shifting, think I'll be holding off on the A8.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:30 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I see where a new A8 died and left a fellow member stranded....first edition of a new design and less than optimal shifting, think I'll be holding off on the A8.
Does that mean you will hold off on posting here too? Or can we not be so lucky?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Does that mean you will hold off on posting here too? Or can we not be so lucky?
Ohhhh. Low blow.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Ohhhh. Low blow.
Is it really? His entire time in this section has been full of nothing but negativity towards the c7 transmissions and the decisions gm has made about them. The z06 isnt even out yet and he has been callng it a failure or gm using false advertising. Not to mention the first time a new 8spd has problems he is making sure the z06 section knows about it.

He cant wait until the z hits the streets and can be tested to match gm's claims, and he cant wait for more information to be revealed on the dead a8 on another member's c7.

This was a failure in his eyes before he ever got to test drive one.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:22 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

haha..so quick to judgement.
Hope you are not a court judge!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Pot calling the kettle black here.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Is it really? His entire time in this section has been full of nothing but negativity towards the c7 transmissions and the decisions gm has made about them. The z06 isnt even out yet and he has been callng it a failure or gm using false advertising. Not to mention the first time a new 8spd has problems he is making sure the z06 section knows about it.

He cant wait until the z hits the streets and can be tested to match gm's claims, and he cant wait for more information to be revealed on the dead a8 on another member's c7.

This was a failure in his eyes before he ever got to test drive one.
So what? If his opinion is negative does that mean he is not wanted here? Is he not allowed to express an opinion? It's really starting to get tiring with all the folks jumping on other folks who don't have the C7 held to the highest praises.
Personally I want to hear all the opinions, both positive AND negative.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

So, after starting 2 threads (one closed), where you argue with anyone that disagrees with your view that the A8 is not adequate, you THINK you will hold off on the A8?????
I kind of thought you had made that clear about 200 replies ago.

Jimmy
Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 PM
GrinderZ06
Pro

WOW, why all the hate?

You want to know why I'm riding GM's azz on the A8? They publicized the A8 as being better than a DCT, I believed their propaganda and sold my Z06/Z07 so I could order the new C7 with the A8. THEN, I test drive the C7 A8, twice, and find the A8 is a turd compared to a DCT.

Yes, it's my fault for taking GM for their word, should have known better after I took it in the shorts on their stock when they went bankrupt.

Last edited by GrinderZ06; 10-30-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM
GrinderZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So, after starting 2 threads (one closed), where you argue with anyone that disagrees with your view that the A8 is not adequate, you THINK you will hold off on the A8?????
I kind of thought you had made that clear about 200 replies ago.

Jimmy
Jimmy...I never said the A8 was inadequate, I said it is NOT what GM said it's supposed to be. For you and others I'm sure it'll be plenty adequate. For me it's a turd compared to the PDK or even the BMW steptronic.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:49 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

LOL.

They publicized the A8 as being better than a DCT.
You are being disingenuous, sir.
GM never said it was "better."
They said it could shift faster in certain circumstances.

should have known better after I took it in the shorts on their stock when they went bankrupt.
Finally....OK, so that is what all of this is REALLY about.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Jimmy...I never said the A8 was inadequate, I said it is NOT what GM said it's supposed to be. For you and others I'm sure it'll be plenty adequate. For me it's a turd compared to the PDK or even the BMW steptronic.
Well Steve,
Just for your information, I own a MANUAL C7 and will own a MANUAL as long as Chevrolet offers it (which I fear is going to end fairly soon). After 2 threads YOU started, clearly YOU think the transmission is inadequate, not up to par, not what GM says it is....whatever.

As for me, I am a MANUAL guy till the end....I know automatics are "faster" and I could not care less. As I stated earlier, the car will be faster if IT does the shifting, the paddles are there so guys can think they're doing something. You're all wound up on GM marketing, well, the "Flappy paddles" (thanks Clarkson, the one thing we agree on) are the ultimate marketing...so guys can play Formula One driver and pretend they're "involved" (like they would be with a 3 pedal car).

Jimmy
Old 10-31-2014, 01:43 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
So what? If his opinion is negative does that mean he is not wanted here? Is he not allowed to express an opinion? It's really starting to get tiring with all the folks jumping on other folks who don't have the C7 held to the highest praises.
Personally I want to hear all the opinions, both positive AND negative.
No one likes trolls. Or well...almost no one.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 vs PDK, GM Propaganda?

Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

WOW, why all the hate?

You want to know why I'm riding GM's azz on the A8? They publicized the A8 as being better than a DCT, I believed their propaganda and sold my Z06/Z07 so I could order the new C7 with the A8. THEN, I test drive the C7 A8, twice, and find the A8 is a turd compared to a DCT.

Yes, it's my fault for taking GM for their word, should have known better after I took it in the shorts on their stock when they went bankrupt.
So this is what is all about? :rof l::r ofl: :rof l::r ofl:
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Well Steve,
Just for your information, I own a MANUAL C7 and will own a MANUAL as long as Chevrolet offers it (which I fear is going to end fairly soon). After 2 threads YOU started, clearly YOU think the transmission is inadequate, not up to par, not what GM says it is....whatever.

As for me, I am a MANUAL guy till the end....I know automatics are "faster" and I could not care less. As I stated earlier, the car will be faster if IT does the shifting, the paddles are there so guys can think they're doing something. You're all wound up on GM marketing, well, the "Flappy paddles" (thanks Clarkson, the one thing we agree on) are the ultimate marketing...so guys can play Formula One driver and pretend they're "involved" (like they would be with a 3 pedal car).

Jimmy
Could not have said it better myself.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:55 PM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
So this is what is all about? :rof l::r ofl: :rof l::r ofl:

Quick Reply: A8 vs PDK, GM Propaganda?