C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Porsche paint job vs Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:08 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Default Porsche paint job vs Corvette

This is only a observation of four cars that I saw yesterday. I took a drive up to Laguna Seca yesterday that had a Porsche event going on. I had a nice talk with a owner of a new 991 GT3 and another new Cayman S owner. Both cars were parked next to each other. I couldn't believe how bad the orange peel was on both black/black cars. Much worse than what I would have expected. Conversely there was a new black/black Camaro parked a ways off near track entry. It had a flatter paint job than either P-car. I've had both Corvette and Ferrari in black and I had my black vette wet sanded and buffed to a show car finish. On the way home I stopped at a shopping area and there sat a black/black C7 Stingray. While not perfect it was certainly a flatter paint job than I observed on the P-cars. This little interaction with all these black cars was ironic as I've always judged paint quality of a manufacturer by their black paint finish. Very revealing.

Last edited by skank; 11-27-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:32 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I hope no Porsche drivers are reading this. A Camaro having better paint would be the final straw.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:42 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Suicide watch...
Old 11-27-2014, 12:49 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

I am not surprised. My neighbor just bought a black 2015 S550 Benz. Sure enough, it has noticeable orange peel. The finish on my 2005 SL (sold) had better finish than the new one.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

Many fellows who bought the Ferrari F12 are having their cars wet sanded at the dealer before taking delivery, due to horrendous orange peel. As zshopper05 mentioned, MB has always had orange peel, even on their S-class.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 PM
C5 Z06 kid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not surpised either, I saw a late model Black Porsche a few months ago with very noticeable orange peel. I noticed it from a good 5 feet away, although I have a good eye for spotting orange peel.

Last edited by C5 Z06 kid; 11-27-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

This is impossible. Only C7 Corvettes have orange peel. The paint on C6's (and nearly every other car including Kias and Hyundais) is largely perfect and free from it.

S.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

every modern factory paint job has orange peel. orange peel threads are stupid.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:27 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
every modern factory paint job has orange peel. orange peel threads are stupid.
What is stupid is the general public accepting poor quality from any manufacturer. How can this issue not be solved at this point in the evolution of the auto industry?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:33 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoy
What is stupid is the general public accepting poor quality from any manufacturer. How can this issue not be solved at this point in the evolution of the auto industry?
Get rid of the EPA??? They are the ones who caused the issue to begin with by lowering VOC emission levels to the point where manufacturers had to adopt paint processes that results in poor quality paint finishes.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Get rid of the EPA??? They are the ones who caused the issue to begin with by lowering VOC emission levels to the point where manufacturers had to adopt paint processes that results in poor quality paint finishes.
This right here. The paint used today is nothing like the old lacquer based paints on the classics. Orange peel can be more or less prevalent depending on so many factors with new paints that the factories go for a happy medium. The only cars that come with mirror finishes also come with million dollar price tags like the Bugatti and Koenigsegg. Paint correction at a good detailer is a few grand but if you want million dollar car paint then you gotta pay.

My Shark Grey has OP but it's not as horrible as most make out their own OP issues. I plan on getting my paint corrected by Will @ Windows and Wheels along with a nice coat of CQuartz.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:59 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
So Italy and Germany have an EPA too?

.....but not Japan I guess, cause I don't see it on a Corolla or Camry
Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

So Italy and Germany have an EPA too?

.....but not Japan I guess, cause I don't see it on a Corolla or Camry
so you are under the impression that Japanese cars are built in Japan? German cars are built in Germany? american cars are built in the us? that's probably beside the point, why don't you Google "toyota orange peel" and let me know what you find.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:57 AM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I hope no Porsche drivers are reading this. A Camaro having better paint would be the final straw.
I own a 2014 Carrera S with absolutely no orange peel.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe the public just doesn't think OP is a big deal that some people here obsess over. Just by driving in real world conditions the car will be hit with numerous rock chips in no time.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:43 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C2Jeff
I own a 2014 Carrera S with absolutely no orange peel.
I guess there's a possibility that you were one of the lucky one's. Black will show every flaw. What is your color and can you see a clear reflection of your face when looking at it close. I have been a class host at the Pebble Beach Concour D'Elegance for 4 years now. There are some amazing world class cars invited to this event that have unbelievable paint jobs. I've really enjoyed talking to some of the restorers and have asked them how they do the quality level that they achieve. They have some pretty incredible techniques that very few people use.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:02 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Supermassive
This right here. The paint used today is nothing like the old lacquer based paints on the classics. Orange peel can be more or less prevalent depending on so many factors with new paints that the factories go for a happy medium. The only cars that come with mirror finishes also come with million dollar price tags like the Bugatti and Koenigsegg. Paint correction at a good detailer is a few grand but if you want million dollar car paint then you gotta pay.

My Shark Grey has OP but it's not as horrible as most make out their own OP issues. I plan on getting my paint corrected by Will @ Windows and Wheels along with a nice coat of CQuartz.
Last year at the Concour D'Elegance I had the Maserati Class. They were the featured marque of the show. There was one particular car that had the most incredible paint job I think I've seen in the four years that I've hosted. The company is www.DistinctDetailAZ.com
Scott Nichols
623-326-9152
Definitely check them out as they did amazing work.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche paint job vs Corvette

Old 11-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Worst OP I've seen is on BMW's.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:41 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
This is only a observation of four cars that I saw yesterday. I took a drive up to Laguna Seca yesterday that had a Porsche event going on. I had a nice talk with a owner of a new 991 GT3 and another new Cayman S owner. Both cars were parked next to each other. I couldn't believe how bad the orange peel was on both black/black cars. Much worse than what I would have expected. Conversely there was a new black/black Camaro parked a ways off near track entry. It had a flatter paint job than either P-car. I've had both Corvette and Ferrari in black and I had my black vette wet sanded and buffed to a show car finish. On the way home I stopped at a shopping area and there sat a black/black C7 Stingray. While not perfect it was certainly a flatter paint job than I observed on the P-cars. This little interaction with all these black cars was ironic as I've always judged paint quality of a manufacturer by their black paint finish. Very revealing.

Just came back from my local Dodge dealer he called and wanted me to look at a new red Gen V Viper he got in and that paint has to be the best I've ever seen on any factory car it's literally like glass...I was very impressed.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:07 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Just came back from my local Dodge dealer he called and wanted me to look at a new red Gen V Viper he got in and that paint has to be the best I've ever seen on any factory car it's literally like glass...I was very impressed.
I think they wet sand every car don't they? I've been to the Aston Martin factory in Gaydon, England and they essentially wet sand every car also. No wonder they look so good. Too bad Corvette couldn't offer a wet sand and buff option. It would be a option I would pay for.

Last edited by skank; 11-28-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche paint job vs Corvette