C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Edmunds.com Fuel Economy Article

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 04:51 PM
keepupp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Edmunds.com Fuel Economy Article

Yes, another fuel mileage thread! Just posted today by Edmunds.com

From the article...

In comparison, the 2015 Corvette Z06 with a 6.2-liter V8 engine and seven-speed manual transmission delivers 17 mpg in city driving and 29 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA. This version is not subject to the gas-guzzler tax, Doran notes.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...-released.html
Old 11-28-2014, 05:05 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Was posted earlier today. It is incorrect. The figures are for the manual Stingray, not the manual Z06.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:26 PM
PREDATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Was posted earlier today. It is incorrect. The figures are for the manual Stingray, not the manual Z06.
How do we know? The article specifically references the 2015 auto and 7spd with a picture of the Z06 in the article.

What I am getting at is Edmonds that misinformed?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:29 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by PREDATR
How do we know? The article specifically references the 2015 auto and 7spd with a picture of the Z06 in the article.

What I am getting at is Edmonds that misinformed?
In this case, yes, they are. They made a mistake and misread the EPA's PDF file. That file currently only lists the auto Z06, along with the auto and manual Stingray.

Further, there's no way the manual's fuel economy numbers are going to be that good. I can assure you that the Corvette team wasn't even sure whether the manual would squeak by and avoid the GG tax. Given that, it means the 7-speed Z06's numbers will be close to the auto's. Likely a hair better, but still very close.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 PM
PREDATR
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
In this case, yes, they are. They made a mistake and misread the EPA's PDF file. That file currently only lists the auto Z06, along with the auto and manual Stingray.

Further, there's no way the manual's fuel economy numbers are going to be that good. I can assure you that the Corvette team wasn't even sure whether the manual would squeak by and avoid the GG tax. Given that, it means the 7-speed Z06's numbers will be close to the auto's. Likely a hair better, but still very close.
I see. Thanks

Any idea why the Auto numbers are out before the M7 since it was produced first?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:15 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Any idea why the Auto numbers are out before the M7 since it was produced first?
I can only take an educated guess: that was the one that GM tested and reported first.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
PREDATR
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
I can only take an educated guess: that was the one that GM tested and reported first.
I hear ya but if for months GM says the A8 is not available but the manual is and has been then why have a factory parking lot full of sold orders by giving EPA priority to a drivetrain that was not scheduled to be produced until later?

This is confussing....
Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

This is confussing....
I think you're putting too much energy into over-thinking things. Things will happen when they happen; GM owes no one anything yet because they did clearly say "late 2014/early 2015" for first deliveries.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:38 PM
keepupp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever is happening as it relates to M7 mileage seems very calculated. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the M7 is rated in Eco mode and another big media blitz is in the way. As it's been asked before, why would they announce the ratings for the autos and proceed to build and stockpile the manuals? I guess we will find out soon enough!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:21 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by keepupp
Whatever is happening as it relates to M7 mileage seems very calculated.
It's nothing of the sort. There's no conspiracy, no special treatment for the M7, and no, it CAN'T be tested in Eco mode since that's not the default mode the car starts in.

It's nothing more than GM process. Trying to imagine that it's anything else is an exercise in futility (and silliness, IMHO).
Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Specifically the article states:

"In comparison, the 2015 Corvette Z06 with a 6.2-liter V8 engine and seven-speed manual transmission delivers 17 mpg in city driving and 29 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA. This version is not subject to the gas-guzzler tax, Doran notes."
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Specifically the article states
The writer of the article is wrong, as is his source. Please re-read what's already been stated in several threads on this subject.

If you need to see for yourself, once again, here's the PDF that they're all quoting. The info in it only has the auto Z06. Not the manual.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

jvp,

The writer of the article is wrong, as is his source. Please re-read what's already been stated in several threads on this subject.

If you need to see for yourself, once again, here's the PDF that they're all quoting. The info in it only has the auto Z06. Not the manual
Page 6 of the PDF lists Corvette

A-S8, 6.2L, 8cyl 20 16/29 $2,450 5 P
A-S8, 6.2L, 8cyl 16 13/23 $3,050 3 P S Tax
M-7, 6.2L, 8cyl 21 17/29 $2,350 5 P

My interpretation is the M-7 listed is for the Stingray engine. And further I would say that if it is and the Z06 engine is not listed - in the PDF - it is an oversight. That oversight may be intentional or may be accidental but if it is not listed, and if this PDF is the basis for official policy, then there will be no GG tax for now for Z06 M-7. I just don't know what the true basis for policy is and policy is the only thing that counts. If this PDF is the basis for policy and if anyone says you must pay a GG tax for M-7, they are dead wrong. We can agree to disagree.

Added later:

With respect to policy: if a dealer tries to charge you a GG tax for a Z06 M-7, ask them to show you where that is required in writing. If they can produce only this document, and no other document, as a basis for that tax, refuse to close the deal - they will back down.

Last edited by Foxer55; 11-28-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:59 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

and if this PDF is the basis for official policy, then there will be no GG tax for now for Z06 M-7.
I don't know where you're getting your "facts" or interpretations from, but you're off the mark. Fairly considerably.

At this point in time, there are no official EPA results for the M7 Z06. Period. Full stop. End of story. Twist what the PDF says all you want, you're incorrect (BTW: that PDF is from the EPA).

The M7 can not be sold yet. It can't be turned over to customers yet without an official window sticker that lists the EPA results for the fuel economy.

I'm sorry if you can't understand this. It's not something to "agree to disagree" on. It's just plain fact as of now.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

jvp,

Page 6 of the PDF lists Corvette

A-S8, 6.2L, 8cyl 20 16/29 $2,450 5 P
A-S8, 6.2L, 8cyl 16 13/23 $3,050 3 P S Tax
M-7, 6.2L, 8cyl 21 17/29 $2,350 5 P

My interpretation is the M-7 listed is for the Stingray engine. And further I would say that if it is and the Z06 engine is not listed - in the PDF - it is an oversight. That oversight may be intentional or may be accidental but if it is not listed, and if this PDF is the basis for official policy, then there will be no GG tax for now for Z06 M-7. I just don't know what the true basis for policy is and policy is the only thing that counts. If this PDF is the basis for policy and if anyone says you must pay a GG tax for M-7, they are dead wrong. We can agree to disagree.

Added later:

With respect to policy: if a dealer tries to charge you a GG tax for a Z06 M-7, ask them to show you where that is required in writing. If they can produce only this document, and no other document, as a basis for that tax, refuse to close the deal - they will back down.

It's a misprint what don't you understand? If you so sure I'm willing to bet 20 bucks that is incorrect and you are wrong.if I am wrong I will pay pal you 20 bucks...bet? Some people think that someone writes something it's gold but since you are SO sure...let's make a wager..

Originally Posted by jvp
I don't know where you're getting your "facts" or interpretations from, but you're off the mark. Fairly considerably.

At this point in time, there are no official EPA results for the M7 Z06. Period. Full stop. End of story. Twist what the PDF says all you want, you're incorrect (BTW: that PDF is from the EPA).

The M7 can not be sold yet. It can't be turned over to customers yet without an official window sticker that lists the EPA results for the fuel economy.

I'm sorry if you can't understand this. It's not something to "agree to disagree" on. It's just plain fact as of now.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

jvp,

You assert it is an EPA document. Then it must be amended. You can't just say, Oh, well, there's a GG tax. Show me the paper trail, otherwise, I don't participate. The problem I have with this is we have government bureaucratic hijinks going on and everybody just accepts that as if its OK. I work with government engineering policy everyday and you cannot just say, Oh, well, we'll just do this. No manager who wants to keep his job will diverge from policy without specific orders to ignore Congressional policy yet here we have consumers saying stick it to me some more. In this case, we have the EPA ***** trampling Congressional domains and running a show that is interfering with commerce and everybody just sucks it up.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Chicago1,

It's a misprint what don't you understand? If you so sure I'm willing to bet 20 bucks that is incorrect and you are wrong.if I am wrong I will pay pal you 20 bucks...bet? Some people think that someone writes something it's gold but since you are SO sure...let's make a wager..
The EPA document is NOT a misprint, that implies an error. This was an intentional omission that I find troubling. This was a pretty big deal and the fact that GM and the EPA ***** couldn't adhere to their own dictates tells me there are poor decision makers involved.

Last edited by Foxer55; 11-28-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds.com Fuel Economy Article

Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

You assert it is an EPA document. Then it must be amended. You can't just say, Oh, well, there's a GG tax.
It will be amended, once the M7 is tested and the results are published. I never said there absolutely would be a GG tax, did I?

The Edmund's article is incorrect. The PDF from the EPA isn't. And your political rant doesn't belong here.

Reading comprehension is a very important skill. Please learn it if you intend to continue participating in online forums.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Chicago1,

The EPA document is NOT a misprint, that implies an error. This was an intentional omission that I find troubling. This was a pretty big deal and the fact that GM and the EPA ***** couldn't adhere to their own dictates tells me there are poor decision makers involved.
You are one of those guys that is never wrong aren't you? It's incorrect and just common sense tells me no way the m7 will get that. So stfu bet me 20 bucks and post up on the board you are wrong with no novel after. I know your not capable but surely you seem so confident take the bet prove us all wrong. Use your head..so again I ask do you want to make a 20 dollar bet or keep rambling on that your found the actual facts? Prove us all wrong
Old 11-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

Chicago1,

You are one of those guys that is never wrong aren't you? It's incorrect and just common sense tells me no way the m7 will get that. So stfu bet me 20 bucks and post up on the board you are wrong with no novel after. I know your not capable but surely you seem so confident take the bet prove us all wrong. Use your head..so again I ask do you want to make a 20 dollar bet or keep rambling on that your found the actual facts? Prove us all wrong
No, I agree the numbers stated are no doubt the Stingray M7. My point is, the Z06 M7 is not presented in the EPA report and that it was not presented by decision - someone made an active decision not to present it although, technically, and in the formality of grand bureaucratic government, it should have at least been listed as V8 M7 6.2L...TBD. That is how these things are supposed to work when people do their jobs properly. Since it is not presented in the formal EPA document it cannot be known with any certainty there will or will not be a GG tax and that leads to rumor, heresay, and confusion. Its a problem endemic to bloated bureaucracies. It is only possible to deduce by association there will be a tax based on the performance of the A8 and that is uncertain and annoying.

Last edited by Foxer55; 11-30-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Edmunds.com Fuel Economy Article