C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What will Randy Pobst do at Laguna Seca in the Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:45 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Default What will Randy Pobst do at Laguna Seca in the Z06?

What is your guess with Randy behind the wheel in the new Z ? I am going for a 132.6. Two fastest times below.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/l...ta_laguna_lap/
http://www.motortrend.com/features/l...r1_laguna_lap/
Old 11-29-2014, 08:36 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

32 is possible. Low 33 IMO.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

From what I'm reading, racing on the track is the C7 Z06's strongest character. I'll say a C7 Z06 with Z07 will run in the 1:32's, possibly in the 1:31's. Furthermore, with properly running test cars, I predict Randy would lap faster with the M7 compared to the auto.

Hope it happens.
It would be entertaining to watch/read.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:31 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernon
From what I'm reading, racing on the track is the C7 Z06's strongest character. I'll say a C7 Z06 with Z07 will run in the 1:32's, possibly in the 1:31's. Furthermore, with properly running test cars, I predict Randy would lap faster with the M7 compared to the auto.

Hope it happens.
It would be entertaining to watch/read.

You may be right about Randy turning a better time with an M7, but he did seem to really like the A8, especially the part where it shifted down to the right gear in auto mode with two wheels off the ground. The predictive capabilities of these modern autos selecting the optimum gear on a road course are really something.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
What is your guess with Randy behind the wheel in the new Z ? I am going for a 132.6. Two fastest times below.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/l...ta_laguna_lap/
http://www.motortrend.com/features/l...r1_laguna_lap/
I am sure Randy will beat the c6zr1 and viper times with the c7z06 for "ONE LAP".

Now if we take the average time of 10 laps back to back, I am sure the Viper will have a much better average time than both the c6zr1 and c7z06.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:52 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Let me put it like this. I bet you a C6ZR1 with Randy or Andy behind the wheel could do 1:30 or 1:29 at Road Atlanta. Its not going to be much faster than the ZR1.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:03 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Let me put it like this. I bet you a C6ZR1 with Randy or Andy behind the wheel could do 1:30 or 1:29 at Road Atlanta. Its not going to be much faster than the ZR1.
How do you figure that?
With the vast stopping distances between them....to say nothing of lateral G load, and Actual Downforce in the ZO6 vs the Lift of the ZR1.
(128 vs 141 feet from 70 mph. 1.2 Gs vs 1.11 Gs.)

To say nothing of the ELSD and Gen 3 shocks.
Oh and let's not forget it makes more torque throughout the entire power band as well. It's stiffer as a chassis too.
And only picked up 180lbs.

I believe Randy could take a 640 horsepower C4 and post a 1:29 at RA too if it had 315 sport cup 2s all the way around. Your statement is just as ludicrous as that one.

Nah that 180lbs of the ZO6 is going to totally mitigate the advantages inherit to the car alright.
Honestly did you not read Randy's take on the ZO6 vs ZR1? He said you were completely and utterly aware of how monstrously powerful the ZR1 was.
While he said the ZO6 was so well thought out as a chassis he feels it could take another 100. ...and the ZO6 not only produces more HP it also produces more torque....AND it does so through the entire RPM range by gaps much larger than respective peaks.

Last edited by MavsAK; 11-29-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It think he'll be able to solidly beat the ZR and Viper times.

Really hope it doesn't have any overheating issues.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:34 PM
forensicsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not all impressed with single lap times. Would much rather see at least 5 laps. Not sure how that would affect the outcome, C7Z might still come out on top??? Are any track meets ever raced over a single lap??? If not, then at least a few laps would be a better predictor of a car's racing performance, although I suppose that 1 lap is a start

Last edited by forensicsteve; 11-29-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:05 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MavsAK
How do you figure that?
With the vast stopping distances between them....to say nothing of lateral G load, and Actual Downforce in the ZO6 vs the Lift of the ZR1.
(128 vs 141 feet from 70 mph. 1.2 Gs vs 1.11 Gs.)

To say nothing of the ELSD and Gen 3 shocks.
Oh and let's not forget it makes more torque throughout the entire power band as well. It's stiffer as a chassis too.
And only picked up 180lbs.

I believe Randy could take a 640 horsepower C4 and post a 1:29 at RA too if it had 315 sport cup 2s all the way around. Your statement is just as ludicrous as that one.

Nah that 180lbs of the ZO6 is going to totally mitigate the advantages inherit to the car alright.
Honestly did you not read Randy's take on the ZO6 vs ZR1? He said you were completely and utterly aware of how monstrously powerful the ZR1 was.
While he said the ZO6 was so well thought out as a chassis he feels it could take another 100. ...and the ZO6 not only produces more HP it also produces more torque....AND it does so through the entire RPM range by gaps much larger than respective peaks.
I figure that because the ZR1 will be significantly faster on the straights. As i have mentioned before, Jan Magnussen ran 1:32.6 at Road Atlanta in an 08 Z on ZR1 PS2. Do you not think the ZR1 on MPSC would be at least a couple seconds faster, not to mention MPSC2? I bet you they would have run similar times.

My logic is sound. Higher top speed from the ZR1 will be worth some time at road atlanta. Laguna is not an aero heavy track either.

Your point about the C4 is nonsensical.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I figure that because the ZR1 will be significantly faster on the straights. As i have mentioned before, Jan Magnussen ran 1:32.6 at Road Atlanta in an 08 Z on ZR1 PS2. Do you not think the ZR1 on MPSC would be at least a couple seconds faster, not to mention MPSC2? I bet you they would have run similar times.

My logic is sound. Higher top speed from the ZR1 will be worth some time at road atlanta. Laguna is not an aero heavy track either.

Your point about the C4 is nonsensical.
You assume the C6 is capable of fully utilizing the capability of the tires. It's not.
Corner speed and brake distance means everything in road racing. Not straight line speed.
Why do you think the Lotus Exige embarrassed so many cars with more than double the hp?

The ZO6 can stay on the gas longer, because of it's better brakes. It doesn't have to use as much brakes either, because of it's superior downforce. It can put the power down more effectively due to a far stiffer chassis, the ELSD and gen 3 shocks, so it will be on the throttle longer as it can roll into it earlier than the ZR1.

It's also a quicker car through the 1/4, comfortably.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:23 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MavsAK
You assume the C6 is capable of fully utilizing the capability of the tires. It's not.
Corner speed and brake distance means everything in road racing. Not straight line speed.
Why do you think the Lotus Exige embarrassed so many cars with more than double the hp?

The ZO6 can stay on the gas longer, because of it's better brakes. It doesn't have to use as much brakes either, because of it's superior downforce. It can put the power down more effectively due to a far stiffer chassis, the ELSD and gen 3 shocks, so it will be on the throttle longer as it can roll into it earlier than the ZR1.

It's also a quicker car through the 1/4, comfortably.
Yawn.......

Its quicker in the quarter because of launch control. There are no standing starts on the road course. The ZR1 traps higher and will be pulling away at the end of every straight.

There are people who have testified to picking up speed (1 second) from MPSC to MPSC 2. So it doesnt matter if they maximize, which you completely made up BTW because you have no idea, they will be faster than on MPSC1.

Time will tell.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
I am not all impressed with single lap times. Would much rather see at least 5 laps. Not sure how that would affect the outcome, C7Z might still come out on top??? Are any track meets ever raced over a single lap??? If not, then at least a few laps would be a better predictor of a car's racing performance, although I suppose that 1 lap is a start
Single lap times is the way it has always been done.
Every race series has lap record times too...it's just the way it is.

FWIW, I think the Z07 A8 in Pobst's hands will top everything except the 918 at Laguna Seca.
No doubt MT is lining that up right now.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Phil~
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1:33.0
Old 11-29-2014, 02:01 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

It's been fun deciphering the last weeks worth of ZO6 magazine road tests. We've heard great feedback from four very fast pro drivers in Alex Lloyd, Randy Pobst, Andy Pilgrim, and Tommy Milner. All four have heaped praise on the handling abilities, downforce and braking capabilities, and overall stability of the chassis. No doubt this car will go much faster around Laguna Seca. The downforce will play a huge part in this as 8 of the 11 turns will benefit from the added stick. Turns 1 and 7 are both medium-high speed kink corners which are hill-crest and blind. Downforce will definitely give more confidence to even the pro drivers there. Turns 3,4,and 6 are flat medium speed corners where the downforce will probably help the most of all the corners. Turns 5,9, and 10 have camber so downforce will still enhance but not to the effect of 3,4, and 6. This new ZO6 should also be able to gain speed coming out of turn 11 and accelerating to the start finish timer line over the ZR1. That was one area that I noticed the 918 Porsche had gained time on both the ZR1 and Viper TA from their lap records. The 918 crossed the start-finish line at 134mph and the ZR1 did approximately 120-122 mph. The new ZO6 will definitely gain speed over the ZR1 in this regard. That is a big difference. Therefore I'm thinking a 1:31.7 to 1:32.1. Thats a minimum gain of 1.6 seconds and a maximum of 2 seconds. Entirely plausible considering what the pro drivers have commented on.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:11 PM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yawn.......

Its quicker in the quarter because of launch control. There are no standing starts on the road course. The ZR1 traps higher and will be pulling away at the end of every straight.

There are people who have testified to picking up speed (1 second) from MPSC to MPSC 2. So it doesnt matter if they maximize, which you completely made up BTW because you have no idea, they will be faster than on MPSC1.

Time will tell.
I think heavychevy is on to something here. Makes perfect sense that GM spent millions (tens of millions?) of dollars and tens of thousands of hours to develop the new one - and it is no faster - and probably slower than the old car.

Nevermind the fact that the heavier regular c7 will smoke even the grand sport around a track - and every intangible measure of driving as well. You guys that think the new car will be better just aren't thinking as clearly as heavy!!

Right?
Old 11-29-2014, 02:29 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Here is an analysis of gained time of the 918 over the Viper TA and ZR1 at Laguna that I tinkered with a few months ago.

Here's a good question for you track rats. I noticed on the Motor Trend video of the 918 Porsche lap record of Laguna Seca that Pobst came through turn 11 incredibly fast then onto the straight towards the start line. As he passed the Starting timer he was going 134 mph. I went back on the ZR1 1:33.70 video and as Pobst came around turn 11 he was going at a much slower pace before he accelerated towards the start line. By the time he crossed the start line he was not at full speed like the 918 was. There wasn't a timer or speed gauge on the Corvette video like there was on the 918 video so I couldn't estimate what speed the ZR1 was going at the start line. It was certainly much slower. I then watched the Viper TA 1:33.62 video to see what speed the Viper was doing at the Start line. Again there was no timer or speedo on that video. But as Pobst passed the start line he said he was going 100mph and then shifted into fourth. My question is; how much time could the 918 gain over the ZR1 or the Viper by going thirty something mph faster at the start of the lap timer. Could that amount to a second or more ??? At 134 mph you are traveling at 196.5333 feet per second. At 100 mph you are traveling at 146.6666 feet per second for a difference of 50 feet per second. With a time of 1:33.70 the ZR1 averages 126.11141 feet per second over the 2.238 (11,816.64ft) mile track. You can see by these calculations that it is entirely possible to gain a second or even a little more on the Vette and Viper in the distance between the start finish line and turn 2. I see it as a real possibility. Your Thoughts !!!!

Get notified of new replies

To What will Randy Pobst do at Laguna Seca in the Z06?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Yawn.......

Time will tell.
Zr1 will not pull away, if anything it will play catch up.... The Z06 exit speed is going to be so much higher, and i think the total lap time will be lower for the Z06 than ZR1.....

Rune
Old 11-29-2014, 02:49 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be hilarious to but some of these bench racers in a straight line performance car and watch them get embarrassed by spec miatas and the like
Old 11-29-2014, 03:03 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by js59
I think heavychevy is on to something here. Makes perfect sense that GM spent millions (tens of millions?) of dollars and tens of thousands of hours to develop the new one - and it is no faster - and probably slower than the old car.

Nevermind the fact that the heavier regular c7 will smoke even the grand sport around a track - and every intangible measure of driving as well. You guys that think the new car will be better just aren't thinking as clearly as heavy!!

Right?

No, my post are just a reality check to the bench racers that the margins will be smaller than they think. People predicting 1:30 times. 3 seconds faster than the ZR1. Lol.

Just another tidbit, Porsche cup cars run 1:27 at Laguna, they also run 1:23 at Road Atlanta. A whole 6 seconds faster than Andy in the Z06. But now only 3 at Laguna? Um, doubt it.

Bench racers should at least do some homework before getting upset.

Quick Reply: What will Randy Pobst do at Laguna Seca in the Z06?