C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My opinion after losing to the GenV TA

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM
nspec
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My opinion after losing to the GenV TA

I have to say, Im not disappointed with the car. It is still a bad *** car for what it is.

As far as every one blaming my shifting abilities, all the fan boys better hope that they're right, who knows I just might suck at it. and every one else can drive way better than me. But keep in mind I also own a GenV Viper and shifting is just perfect in it.

As you can see in my other thread, before we even decided to race the two cars, I did complain about the shifter in the Z. I dont know if changing the shifter will help the Z, but ONE THING IS CLEAR. IT WILL NOT BEAT THE VIPER. Viper pulled away in 4th gear every single time and there was no catching it in 5th.

When I first drove the Z from the lot and started getting on it, it was very hard to tell which one was faster. Speedwise, they both felt extremely even to me. But the feeling of the drive is completely different.

As far as the race goes, I dont think I could have asked for a better person to race against. Tony is highly skilled and I didnt see anything wrong with races. There was nothing unfair about it. Z06 straight up lost. Even before the race, I already knew how it takes longer for the Z to reach higher speeds. In mexico, i had a hard time getting to 180 on a long stretch. Viper got there a little bit faster.

The last few runs, car had significantly lost power due to heat soaking and you can see viper pull away faster and faster. Anything above 120mph is a weakzone for the Z when compared to the Gen V.

Weight wise, I dont think there is much difference between me and Tony (Nineball), we both had full tank of gas. Z06 is 150lbs heavier than my GTS and i think TA is 100lbs lighter than that. So about 250lbs difference?

But regardless, the outcome is what it is.

I noticed a lot of people mention that they will go with a Viper instead of a Z06 because of this and heat soaking issue. If this is clearly your deciding to point on which car to buy, your priorities are totally messed up. The difference in the race is not that significant, irrelevant to what both of these machines can do.
Pretty disappointed by the majority of the fan boys coming up with different reasons as to why the race wasnt fair.

Bottom line is, I love the Z06 for what it is and I love the Viper for what it is. Both different cars with different feel.

I have told everyone this. If i have to pick one to drive for an hour or two, it will be the Viper. Anything else, i'll take the Z06.

There is no peace in driving the Viper, which I love too.
With Z06 you get best of the both world but its not as raw as the Viper.

My opinion would have been the exact same if the race had gone the other way.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 PM
_M_
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks for the post

were you able to get any data to share, or are you planning to do so on any future visits to mexico?

Last edited by _M_; 12-08-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

nice post. i see no problem with your shifting in those races.could someone else have been faster sure, slower sure. the viper simply out pulled the z06. z06 is a nice car. viper is a nice car. always someone greater/lesser. comes down to what works for you, what gives most enjoyment. at the cost of these cars you better like what you buy based on your needs/wants not what a mag or reported numbers say.

as of now my c6z meets all my needs, c7 isn't worth the money for what it offers over present ride. maybe in a few years when they can be purchased for much much less a used one may be in my future. however i really think i will wait for a really new platform corvette ,come on c8....
Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by nspec
I have to say, Im not disappointed with the car. It is still a bad *** car for what it is...

From what other Corvette enthusiasts are uncovering about the C7 Z06 acceleration performance, the car is performing as GM intended.
Have a read...
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...tup-89790.html
Old 12-08-2014, 09:43 PM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

It would have been nice if you were data logging to see how much boost and timing the car was putting out. I don't know if it would have made a difference; but NLS (no lift shift) is a nice feature GM incorporates in their boosted motors with a manual trans. It keeps the motor in full boost and timing during the shift provided you do not lift off the clutch when shifting at redline.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Stand up guy...Thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Great honest opinion about both cars and the race like was already posted don't seem like there was anything wrong with your driving.. the Viper was simply faster bottom line.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 PM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nspec, I gotta hand it to you, most people would be making excuses, but you are a class act and called it like a man. I actually tried to buy a couple of zo6s last week when they started showing up, but could not get what I wanted for my c7. Long story short, I ordered a TA 2.0 last week and I was really worried about the z eating it's lunch. I think both cars are great and most buyers of either car will never see the extremes that you and nine ball did. As far as your shifting, you did a great job, it is what it is.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Great honest opinion about both cars and the race like was already posted don't seem like there was anything wrong with your driving.. the Viper was simply faster bottom line.
Amen! I am truly disappointed with some of the fanboys in the other thread. You and Nineball had some good runs, and posted unedited results. THANK YOU!

The races did not take me by surprise, nor do they dim my enthusiasm about the C7Z. I love the new Viper... amazing looks and interior, and I'm a fan of the powerplant (see sig). I just don't like a lot of attention, now that I'm in my mid-40s, so I don't see myself getting one. My C7Z will get modded within 100 miles of ownership, like everything else I've ever owned, so a stock v stock race outcome does not affect how I feel about the car.

As far as your driving vs. Tony's abilities... he's a hot-shoe for sure, but you guys took a lot of that variable out of the equation by doing repeated runs at speed. Again... you guys did things -right- in staging as fair of an exhibition as possible. Once more... thank you.

Lastly... get off the forum and go enjoy your new ride.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In what mode did you have the car in?

Last edited by URBAN LEGEND; 12-09-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:28 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Naturally aspirated engine, Viper, for roughly the same output as supercharged engine in a car that is 250 lbs lighter plus the z has more aero drag to deal with. Pretty predictable outcome. I am not a zr1 owner but I would not race one from a roll at highway speeds and expect to win in a c7z...not going to happen. c6z will be close also.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The faster car won.

It is not hard to see the shifting speed had nothing to do with the outcome.

I personnally really enjoyed watching your video. As fair and square as it could be imho.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Log the car and see if/how much timing was pulled on the runs, I suspect you will see at least a degree or 2 coming out as IATs went up, heat soak? Partially but I would say more of the loss in power was from timing loss.
GM doesn't want detonation with sub par gas and of those of you know, a couple of degrees of timing can be as much loss as a couple pounds of boost!

Best Regards,
John Page
21CMC
Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Dethred
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by darth g-f
The faster car won.

It is not hard to see the shifting speed had nothing to do with the outcome.

I personnally really enjoyed watching your video. As fair and square as it could be imho.

Bad shifts would result in a more sudden loss of ground on the Viper and that ground would be lost only during the shifts. After each shift, the car began falling back at gradually increasing rates, which isn't indicative of simply shifting too slow.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

Boosted motors like little slop. I bet after a few thousand miles she'll loosen up and gain a few HP.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by _M_
thanks for the post

were you able to get any data to share, or are you planning to do so on any future visits to mexico?
Great stuff Nspec, thank you.

Although I have complete confidence in your high performance driving capabilities it would be interesting to see the exact same races in Mexico with Nineball driving your Z and you in his Viper, especially since you have a Gen V Viper.

That would be really interesting as you both have been driving Gen V Vipers for a short little while now and the C7 Z is new to both of you. I know Tony (Nineball) can really drive as he is been a major hard core racer enthusiast at least back from the days that he had his modded Big Cubed high 10 second , LS F body, well over 10 years ago. My common sense tells me that your driving skills are very good but switching drivers would be an end to some of the fan boy nonsense.

I bet the results would be very similar but that would be a very interesting test to do if the two of you get an opportunity to square off again (down in Mexico).

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-08-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 PM
CharlieK1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nspec
I have to say, Im not disappointed with the car. It is still a bad *** car for what it is.

As far as every one blaming my shifting abilities, all the fan boys better hope that they're right, who knows I just might suck at it. and every one else can drive way better than me. But keep in mind I also own a GenV Viper and shifting is just perfect in it.

As you can see in my other thread, before we even decided to race the two cars, I did complain about the shifter in the Z. I dont know if changing the shifter will help the Z, but ONE THING IS CLEAR. IT WILL NOT BEAT THE VIPER. Viper pulled away in 4th gear every single time and there was no catching it in 5th.

When I first drove the Z from the lot and started getting on it, it was very hard to tell which one was faster. Speedwise, they both felt extremely even to me. But the feeling of the drive is completely different.

As far as the race goes, I dont think I could have asked for a better person to race against. Tony is highly skilled and I didnt see anything wrong with races. There was nothing unfair about it. Z06 straight up lost. Even before the race, I already knew how it takes longer for the Z to reach higher speeds. In mexico, i had a hard time getting to 180 on a long stretch. Viper got there a little bit faster.

The last few runs, car had significantly lost power due to heat soaking and you can see viper pull away faster and faster. Anything above 120mph is a weakzone for the Z when compared to the Gen V.

Weight wise, I dont think there is much difference between me and Tony (Nineball), we both had full tank of gas. Z06 is 150lbs heavier than my GTS and i think TA is 100lbs lighter than that. So about 250lbs difference?

But regardless, the outcome is what it is.

I noticed a lot of people mention that they will go with a Viper instead of a Z06 because of this and heat soaking issue. If this is clearly your deciding to point on which car to buy, your priorities are totally messed up. The difference in the race is not that significant, irrelevant to what both of these machines can do.
Pretty disappointed by the majority of the fan boys coming up with different reasons as to why the race wasnt fair.

Bottom line is, I love the Z06 for what it is and I love the Viper for what it is. Both different cars with different feel.

I have told everyone this. If i have to pick one to drive for an hour or two, it will be the Viper. Anything else, i'll take the Z06.

There is no peace in driving the Viper, which I love too.
With Z06 you get best of the both world but its not as raw as the Viper.

I am going to ask a new question .....what exactly is heat soak??

Get notified of new replies

To My opinion after losing to the GenV TA

Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks. My C5Z06 and ZR1 rampaged from 150 to 180. I was easily the fastest stock car in the standing mile the two years I went. I bet this car wouldn't even hit 165 in the mile.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:04 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent and unbiased post. I have older versions of Viper and Vette and love both.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not as concerned about the roll race I want to see what the Z06 does in the quarter with the A8 trans in the hands of a experienced vette driver on a good track. I agree with the OP if your basing your decision on these 2 cars because of this video then you are misguided. The Vette has many advantages over the Viper and I've owned the first 4 Gens of the Viper and I have driven the Gen V, I will take the Z06.

Quick Reply: My opinion after losing to the GenV TA