C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

CA Dealers suck...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:11 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Default CA Dealers suck...

I went to Selman Chevrolet in Santa Ana and cancelled my deposit for a Z06 when the wife put her foot down on their $5,000 over MSRP mark-up. While I was there I noticed a leftover (for good reason) 2014 VY Z51 3LT coupe. The window sticker was just over $75K, and right below it was a note that said they were adding a $3,000 premium on top of that. Pfffff. It's a model year old. They should be knocking 10% off. Oh wait, some forum dealers are doing that with 2015's Z51 3LT coupes.

I told them I can get a Z06 from a dealer on the Corvette Forum and have it shipped to my pals at Rotolo in Fontana or Team Chevrolet in Vallejo at or below window sticker. "OK...Monday well have your deposit refund check ready." See ya. After being told they had 30 orders ahead of me I checked out Selman's web site today and they have 3 Z06's in transit that are not spoken for. Looks like my wife isn't the only one to put her foot down.

I just bought a 2015 Silverado 2500HD 3LT with the Duramax/Allison from them a couple months ago and the window sticker on that thing was higher than some C7's. I used my GM Employee Discount (dad is retired GM employee) and that knocked the price down almost $10K so Selman got my business. We are loyal car buyers looking to form a relationship with another dealer since Richard Hibbard closed. I guess this mark-up crap has left a bad taste in my mouth, but all the dealers here are doing it...so now what?

When Richard Hibbard was still in business he was the Corvette king in So Cal, never selling over MSRP, and he sold a lot of Corvettes. Because of that he got huge allocations. These So Cal dealers charge their premiums which causes us to look elsewhere (out of state) or not at all for cars. Not because we can't afford the mark up, but because it's the point of the mark up crap, sticking it to the loyal consumer and it isn't going to happen to us. So they make $5K or $10K over on the few cars they are allocated. Congratulations. Because the cars don't move, they end up with a smaller allocation. Vicious circle. Isn't that the way it works?

Sorry...had to rant.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:23 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Interesting to hear from you. Thanks. I was told a few days ago while down at Selman, that if I wanted a new Z06 I'd be lucky to get a 2017 model. Bought my 2000 from Richard Hibbard. A good experience. Bought my '08 from Selman and that too went well. I got pretty disappointed when I heard that with a deposit down I would maybe get a 2017. Seems sorta sad.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by See5see6
Interesting to hear from you. Thanks. I was told a few days ago while down at Selman, that if I wanted a new Z06 I'd be lucky to get a 2017 model. Bought my 2000 from Richard Hibbard. A good experience. Bought my '08 from Selman and that too went well. I got pretty disappointed when I heard that with a deposit down I would maybe get a 2017. Seems sorta sad.
My wife sold her C6 Z06 in anticipation of the C7 Z06. We got her C6 Z06 for MSRP from Rancho Valley when the rest of the dealers where charging $5-10K over. Richard Hibbard (I know him personally) had his entire order allocation filled when we decided we wanted one, and Mike Capozio at RV gave us MSRP on hers anyway while Richard was keeping us up to date if anyone cancelled their order at his dealership. It took us a year to get it back then. We put our name in the pile for a 2006 and didn't get one until 2007. Having said that, the C7 Z06 is going to be her car.

At Selman I was told I'd be lucky to get a 2016 back when I gave them a deposit, and that I was number 30 on the list. When Chevy started making them we got a call right off the bat that we could order a M7 due to GM's delay of the A8's and many ahead of us were holding off and waiting for the auto tranny's. My wife said she never wanted the A8 anyway, so go for it. When I told her Selman wanted well over MSRP she flipped. Especially when she found out dealers here on the forum are not playing that game. Then she commented on my truck purchase from them and how she guessed that loyalty when buying almost a $60K truck (before discount) only a couple of months ago from them means nothing.

If you want a manual and like the three on their way you can have one in a matter of a few days or weeks. Yellow, Shark Grey or Black. Check their web site.

With all the talk from the people who've driven their new C7 Z06's and how disappointed they are in the performance she's thinking of looking elsewhere or waiting. I tried talking her in to a Z51 but no way. One of her girlfriends asked her back when she got her C6 Z06 why she needed 505 hp and her reply was "It's like having a $100 bill in your purse. You may never need it, but it's nice to know it's there!" She wants 650 hp, not 455. Gotta love her!

Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited by Randy G.; 12-14-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Ya CA dealers suck all over right now, for all corvettes. I happened to see one optioned 99% the way I was ordering one about 50 miles away, so I drove over the day before my forum order was going to be submitted (30 days ago). The window sticker had a 7k "market adjustmetnt" factored into the price. So I knew it wasn't going to go well but I attempted to bring up credit union pricing. They had never heard of it. So I logged on to the website and built the car showing the price, and said I would take it today if they would accept the pricing. Salesman went and came back 5 minutes later, shook my hand, and said good luck. His boss told him I couldn't touch a corvette within 500 miles for even MSRP, and they had people coming in every day to look at it, so they weren't negotiating. It's still on their showroom floor. Hell I even tried Boadwalk Chevrolet, who was super active in the C6 days with competitive pricing, and they even said "wait till after christmas". Can't blame the dealers as much as dumb people in California willing to pay inflated prices. You'd think they have never heard of the internet before.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 PM
qictrk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My local dealer, near Santa Cruz, isn't charging any mark-up, but he doesn't have an allocation yet. He took my order and I'm sitting at 1100, but I don't know if I'll ever go beyond an order #. Cecil..............
Old 12-14-2014, 01:10 PM
speedmon
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
I went to Selman Chevrolet in Santa Ana and cancelled my deposit for a Z06 when the wife put her foot down on their $5,000 over MSRP mark-up. While I was there I noticed a leftover (for good reason) 2014 VY Z51 3LT coupe. The window sticker was just over $75K, and right below it was a note that said they were adding a $3,000 premium on top of that. Pfffff. It's a model year old. They should be knocking 10% off. Oh wait, some forum dealers are doing that with 2015's Z51 3LT coupes.

I told them I can get a Z06 from a dealer on the Corvette Forum and have it shipped to my pals at Rotolo in Fontana or Team Chevrolet in Vallejo at or below window sticker. "OK...Monday well have your deposit refund check ready." See ya. After being told they had 30 orders ahead of me I checked out Selman's web site today and they have 3 Z06's in transit that are not spoken for. Looks like my wife isn't the only one to put her foot down.

I just bought a 2015 Silverado 2500HD 3LT with the Duramax/Allison from them a couple months ago and the window sticker on that thing was higher than some C7's. I used my GM Employee Discount (dad is retired GM employee) and that knocked the price down almost $10K so Selman got my business. We are loyal car buyers looking to form a relationship with another dealer since Richard Hibbard closed. I guess this mark-up crap has left a bad taste in my mouth, but all the dealers here are doing it...so now what?

When Richard Hibbard was still in business he was the Corvette king in So Cal, never selling over MSRP, and he sold a lot of Corvettes. Because of that he got huge allocations. These So Cal dealers charge their premiums which causes us to look elsewhere (out of state) or not at all for cars. Not because we can't afford the mark up, but because it's the point of the mark up crap, sticking it to the loyal consumer and it isn't going to happen to us. So they make $5K or $10K over on the few cars they are allocated. Congratulations. Because the cars don't move, they end up with a smaller allocation. Vicious circle. Isn't that the way it works?

Sorry...had to rant.
I have lived about 10 minutes from Selman for 15 years and could NEVER bought a car from them. You can't....their mark-up on new and used cars is astronomical and you'd have to be totally stupid to pay it....ANYWHERE else in the world is cheaper.

The service department is good though....needs to be managed sometimes.

**BUT...Selman's parts department is the BEST! They match internet prices and always go the extra mile. Yeh! for Hans and Charlie!

On your car.....I think when GM updates their website you can order it on the web and have it shipped to Selman.....that would just **** them off.

Last edited by speedmon; 12-14-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:29 PM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry...had to rant.
There are only a handful of dealers in so cal that are selling for msrp

rydell is one with a bunch of allocations
Old 12-14-2014, 01:42 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scott76807
There are only a handful of dealers in so cal that are selling for msrp

rydell is one with a bunch of allocations
Local dealer in Ontario has six people on his waiting list for 2015 Z06, and they are charging $20k over MSRP! And that dealer would not even consider a Courtesy Delivery even though I have had my 2011 CTS-V serviced their for three years. As long as people will put up with this, California dealers will continue to make the huge profits! My Z06 will be delivered to Rotolo and my neighbors Z51 will also.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:03 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The CA dealers have always charged huge ADM's on products like the Z06.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

This is disappointing to hear. May I ask whom you were dealing with? Jason Holley at Selman was very patient and fair with my mom when she was waiting for the gen 5 Camaro to come out in 2010. Jason worked with her over a year until she figured out exactly what she wanted (the SS, ha ha, for my 70+ mom) and she got a good price.

Jason worked with me on my GS, looking all over CA, but I simply couldn't find one exactly how I wanted it in CA in late 2011 (much fewer M6's made than autos), so I went with MacMulkin (who has also taken some heat on this forum over the C7's, but gave me an awesome price on my GS).

So now my dad needs a truck ASAP, and I was considering Selman for a Silverado, but now you have me concerned. I'm wondering, did you ever negotiate the price from invoice up? Or did you just walk in and give a deposit? I'm not sure how things work with these pre- pre-orders. What you are describing may be limited to the early adopter thing?
Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM
todm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My local dealer here in San Diego is charging me MSRP. My car is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
This is disappointing to hear. May I ask whom you were dealing with? Jason Holley at Selman was very patient and fair with my mom when she was waiting for the gen 5 Camaro to come out in 2010. Jason worked with her over a year until she figured out exactly what she wanted (the SS, ha ha, for my 70+ mom) and she got a good price.

Jason worked with me on my GS, looking all over CA, but I simply couldn't find one exactly how I wanted it in CA in late 2011 (much fewer M6's made than autos), so I went with MacMulkin (who has also taken some heat on this forum over the C7's, but gave me an awesome price on my GS).

So now my dad needs a truck ASAP, and I was considering Selman for a Silverado, but now you have me concerned. I'm wondering, did you ever negotiate the price from invoice up? Or did you just walk in and give a deposit? I'm not sure how things work with these pre- pre-orders. What you are describing may be limited to the early adopter thing?
If you are talking about the Z06 I was told straight up no negotiating. $5,000 over window sticker. I didn't tell my wife at the time because I knew she would be upset about it because we have never paid over MSRP. She's had 4 new Corvettes over the years and is looking forward to number 5. One from Cormier Chevrolet, one from Richard Hibbard, and two from Rancho Valley.

If Jason isn't available go see Nick for your truck. He bent over backwards for me in that it was the only fully optioned Duramax with the right color, etc., in L.A./OC/San Diego at the time and actually held it for me for a week w/o a deposit. I looked everywhere and that was the only one. That was the first vehicle purchase I made through them. Nick has no control over pricing. He's just the messenger from management on what they want to do as far as pricing. He's a no nonsense/no BS great guy who was very helpful.

When Rancho Valley closed we had no where to go for service on my wife's C6 Z06. The service manager from Rancho Valley, Jim Schultz (now at Rotolo), is a family friend and told me to go to Selman because they have a good reputation and we are located in OC, so we did and have been happy.

Some sweetheart texting in her BMW ran a stop sign at the surgery center where my wife works and hit the right fender and door of her VR C6 Z06. I took it to Selman and asked that they replace the door and carbon fender, prep and paint both of them first, then reassemble the door with the door panels, glass, weatherstripping, etc., then install both on the car already painted and ready to go. That's how they do it on the Bowling Green assembly line and my wife wanted it to look like nothing ever happened (no overspray, paint lines under weatherstripping, fillers, etc.). They did it exactly the way I said and it came out absolutely perfect. I highly recommend their body shop.

That's my dilemma. Great dealership. But I get the finger in my eye when ordering a Z06. Apparently they are not worried about retaining a relationship.

Last edited by Randy G.; 12-14-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:44 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

There are a few dealers here on the forum that have Z06's that are in stock and not sold. I'm sure you could negotiate a fair price including shipped to you. Tommy Jr at MacMulkin Chevrolet is a great guy to deal with whatever he tells you as far as price is what you get. No hidden fee's or surprises.

http://www.macmulkin.net/VehicleSear...ear=2147483647

Last edited by george vee; 12-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:52 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
There are a few dealers here on the forum that have Z06's that are in stock and not sold. I'm sure you could negotiate a fair price including shipped to you. Tommy Jr at MacMulkin Chevrolet is a great guy to deal with whatever he tells you as far as price is what you get. No hidden fee's or surprises.

I'll second this post. Tommy Jr. and his Corvette team are very straight forward and attentive. Placed my Z06 order with them last week.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by george vee

I got my GS in late 2011 from Tommy, a fully loaded 3LT, all the options, plus some I wasn't even looking for, and had it shipped from New Hampshire to CA with enclosed transport (like $1800), and it was still pretty much a wash pricewise compared to the cars in CA, none of which were exactly what I wanted, plus I got the dual roof package, which is awesome. Plus, MacMulkin keeps their cars inside! No baking out in the sun for god knows how long. Mine had the original 3 GM test miles on it and plastic on the seats, never even test driven by Joe Sixpack with his kids with chocolate on their hands and poopy diapers.

I can only say good things about my experience with Tommy.

And great looking dog, BTW. Pit heads are the best.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Are they ordering their cars specifically CA smog legal? Evidently they are if you guys are getting cars from them. I'll have to check them out.

Last edited by Randy G.; 12-14-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Are they ordering their cars specifically CA smog legal? Evidently they are if you guys are getting cars from them. I'll have to check them out.
Oh boy, CARB. Yes, assuming the car has the "50 state emissions legal" sticker under the hood, which I believe all Vettes destined for US delivery do, it is CA CARB legal. This sticker can be confirmed with the dealer before purchase. That's the good news.

The bad news is, your brand new bought-out-of-state Vette will have to be smogged anyway before you can get your tags. Then it is good for 6 years before the next smog is due.

F-ing Kalifornia.

Get notified of new replies

To CA Dealers suck...

Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

OP, also check-out Boardwalk Chevrolet in Redwood City (a supporting CF vendor).
Tim Boone is their salesperson who regularly posts on here the CF.

http://www.boardwalkchevrolet.com/

EDIT: I see rothchilds above mentions them near the end of his post.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 12-14-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:24 PM
mikepacheco
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boardwalk is not a Courtesy Dealer, they said they quit Courtesy Service.
I ended up shipping my to Capitol Chevrolet in San Jose.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I've been to several Chevrolet dealers trying to do business with them on a new Corvette, but have yet to find one that can match in all ways, one CF sponsor Chevy dealer back East.

Quick Reply: CA Dealers suck...