C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Motul 300V 15W50 vs. Mobil 1 15W50 vs. Dextros 5W30

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:58 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Default Motul 300V 15W50 vs. Mobil 1 15W50 vs. Dextros 5W30

What options do we have with the C7 Z06?

Am I correct in that:
Dextros 5w30 is stock oil, and available free for 4 oil changes?
Mobil 15W50 is what GM recommends for track use but NOT available free for 4 oil changes?

What does GM think about us tracking the car on 5w30? Are we pretty much forgoing the free oil changes to go with the Mobil 1 of required viscosity?

I'd rather buy Motul 300V on my own coin if it doesn't void the warranty and forgo the crappy OEM 5w30 that comes free. If Mobil 1 15W50 comes free from the dealer at least it will be a half decent lubricant.

BTW this is what the Stingray manual has, can someone confirm this is the same for Z06:
"Oil (Mobil 1TM 15W50
Recommended for Track/
Competitive Driving)"

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 12-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Ching Ho
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 4 Posts

This might help, from Michael Kaufman (Motor Oil Bible author):

Amazon.com: Motul 300V 4T Competition Synthetic Oil - 10W40 - 4L. 836141 / 101352: Automotive Amazon.com: Motul 300V 4T Competition Synthetic Oil - 10W40 - 4L. 836141 / 101352: Automotive

Quote:

....Two things are at work here. The temperature issue impacts both the engine AND the oil. Getting an engine up to those kinds of temperatures can, over time, affect engine components themselves, independent of what the oil is doing. Just the temperature alone is more than most engines can handle on a regular basis.

Normal engine operating temperature for most engines is between 210 and 250 degrees. Granted, corvettes are designed to be driven fast and hard, to a certain extent, but pumping the temps up to such extremes will be rough on a Corvette engine too. Again, an engine can fail even if the oil is still "doing its thing", if components get too hot too frequently.

But, the temperature, as we both know, also affects the oil. The higher the temperature, the more quickly the oil will break down/sheer back/burn-off/etc. Viscosity retention is an issue that is affected in two ways by temperature increases. First, high temperature alone can cause temporary viscosity decreases in an oil if the viscosity index of the oil is not very high. Any temporary drop in viscosity has the potential for allowing metal to metal contact within an engine.

In addition, over time, high temperature and stress can cause the oil to have a permanent viscosity loss due to sheering. So, a 20w50 might shear back to more like a 20w40 or 20w30. The same could happen to other grades. The lower the viscosity, the lower the film strength (in a general sense) and the more chance for metal to metal contact.

An oil cooler is not a bad idea at all, as it will serve not only to prolong the life of the oil, but will also prolong the life of
engine components by keeping them cool, not to mention helping to maintain the film strength of the oil which prevents engine wear.

Secondarily, it might seem that it would also be a good idea to stick to as heavy a weight oil as you can, and hope it maintains that viscosity, but that's not necessarily right. There is a certain point at which, going heavier will only increase engine temperatures more by increasing INTERNAL friction within the oil itself. That is definitely NOT a benefit.

GM recommends 5w30 and 10w30 oils in basically ALL it's engines dating back to 92, including corvettes. Now, I know that many of these engines may be modified in certain ways, but oil galleries are likely to be the same or similar to the factory specs. As such, these galleries are designed for a specific weight of oil, or at least a specific range.

So, I wouldn't go over 10w40 in these Corvettes, no matter how much you feel like the 20w50 is going to "protect better". It's not a good idea. If you want more protection, look for a better oil, not a higher grade.

As an example, I know guys that have used just about any viscosity of any oil out there and were seeing failures. They
switched to AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 and failures stopped and performance increased. These are guys racing in southern Texas, California, Arizona, etc. So, the weight of the oil is not necessarily the determining factor in how well the oil will protect. I've seen engine temperatures drop by 20 to 50 degrees F, using this oil. That is a HUGE drop. As much or more than an oil cooler might give.

Look for good specs in a weight close to what is recommended by the manufacturer. Pay special attention to HT/HS scores, NOACK, Flashpoint, VI and Four Ball, if available.

You want the HT/HS, Flash and VI to be as high as possible. NOACK and Four Ball as low as possible. Find an oil that fits that bill, and you've got an excellent oil. But, don't discount an oil just because one or two of those numbers aren't as "good" as you want. You want a whole package.

For instance, a good VI is important, but remember that this is not a spec that gives you a full picture. Some oils may start with a high VI, but this VI quickly decreases with use. Other oils start with a slightly lower VI, but maintain that VI for a very long time. That is because some oil manufacturers (petroleum and synthetic) PROP UP their VI numbers with viscosity modifiers. Other manufacturers use better quality basestocks so they don't have to. Those that are propped, quickly become UNpropped. That's a bad thing.

So, just be aware of what you're looking for in an oil and do whatever you can to keep engine temperatures as close to 250 as you can. You may not get there, but the lower you can go, the better off you'll be.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:38 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the large quote. For one, GM does recommend a different weight for track use which invalidates this guy's theory.

The link is good for motorcycle oil...
Old 12-15-2014, 03:36 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

GM recommends Mobil 1 for all its dry-sump engines. Dexos blends only for the non-Z51 LT1s. Page 10-17 in the owner's manual. It only recommends 15w50 for use during track events, not daily driving.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 AM
ScottsZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300V is going into mine.
The following users liked this post:
UnhandledException (12-08-2021)
Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

By the way, on all dry sump Corvettes GM will give 5 free oil changes (part of the new bulletin that says to do the first oil change at 500 miles).
Old 07-06-2021, 12:23 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts

Hard to beat real world testing. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...test-data.html
Old 07-06-2021, 10:00 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Mobil 1 5w-30 Dexos is the original factory fill. GM changed it to Mobil 1 0w-40 Dexos so that you can mildly track the car and then drive on the street as well without having to change oils. Any heavy track use will require you to put in Mobil 1 15w50. 5w-30 or 0w-40 is fine for street use. I prefer the 0w-40 as it is a better oil and I drive my car hard on the street. Do not track 5w-30.

Now with all of that said, there are better oils out there. OR should I say oils that test better than the OEM recommendations. BUT if you're not making more power than stock, they really are a waste of money. Once you start adding power to the car and especially if you start changing internals, all of the GM recommendations go out the window and you should typically listen to the advice of your engine builder as tolerances and clearances may have changed. Some builds will maintain the OEM recommended oils but again. a quality engine builder will lead you in the right direction here.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:50 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
What options do we have with the C7 Z06?

Am I correct in that:
Dextros 5w30 is stock oil, and available free for 4 oil changes?
Mobil 15W50 is what GM recommends for track use but NOT available free for 4 oil changes?

What does GM think about us tracking the car on 5w30? Are we pretty much forgoing the free oil changes to go with the Mobil 1 of required viscosity?

I'd rather buy Motul 300V on my own coin if it doesn't void the warranty and forgo the crappy OEM 5w30 that comes free. If Mobil 1 15W50 comes free from the dealer at least it will be a half decent lubricant.

BTW this is what the Stingray manual has, can someone confirm this is the same for Z06:
"Oil (Mobil 1TM 15W50
Recommended for Track/
Competitive Driving)"
You own a $85,000 Z and you want free oil changes. I buy Mobil 1 15-50 at Walmart for $52 for 2 5qt jugs and change my oil every 1500 miles. I’ve run Mobil 1 15-50 since day one in my 16Z. No issues. Just guessing but I think you can afford to buy your oil changes and put whatever oil in you want.

Last edited by andreas g.; 07-06-2021 at 10:52 PM.
twofast19@yahoo.com (07-08-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:04 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
GM recommends Mobil 1 for all its dry-sump engines. Dexos blends only for the non-Z51 LT1s. Page 10-17 in the owner's manual. It only recommends 15w50 for use during track events, not daily driving.
do you know why GM says no 15-50 for daily driving? Because it might ruin your cats before 120,000 miles, and it might not. Really. Who cares. The added protection it provides with higher zinc and phosphorus far exceeds the risk of cats being damaged.
$Bill (07-14-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:34 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas g.
do you know why GM says no 15-50 for daily driving? Because it might ruin your cats before 120,000 miles, and it might not. Really. Who cares. The added protection it provides with higher zinc and phosphorus far exceeds the risk of cats being damaged.
And that it reduces fuel economy

Get notified of new replies

To Motul 300V 15W50 vs. Mobil 1 15W50 vs. Dextros 5W30

Quick Reply: Motul 300V 15W50 vs. Mobil 1 15W50 vs. Dextros 5W30