C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tow Hook for the Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:32 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tow Hook for the Z06

Just picked up the tow hook for the Z06, Part #15234068. It fits great on the front, inside the grill on the passenger side. The list price is $102.50 and it does not come with the Z06 but does fit perfectly in the molded location above the battery box.

It can also be used on the rear bumper underneath the plastic cover. However, this location points toward the ground and using it at this location may bend the hook so I don't recommend it.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:28 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanks shockwave!
Post up some pics of the bad boy. Did your dealer move off list price at all?

Maybe a forum vendor could do a basement bottom price gp on these as i can imagine there will be plenty wanting these.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:31 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Just googled the part # and this is the same tow hook # as the cadillac xlr. Should be able to find some of those cheap.....
Old 12-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Excellent. Is this the same for the rear?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by shockwave

It can also be used on the rear bumper underneath the plastic cover. However, this location points toward the ground and using it at this location may bend the hook so I don't recommend it.
Where exactly is that location? "Plastic cover" mean the whole rear bumper or something else.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 12-17-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man

Where exactly is that location? "Plastic cover" mean the whole rear bumper or something else.
Small square access cover towards bottom of bumper straight down from taillights area
Old 12-17-2014, 04:34 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it just screw into a pre-threaded hole or did you have to do more to install? Did the front facia have to come off?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:37 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Here are some photos ....

Here's where it is stored, above battery.

Rear Bumper Location ... Its angled toward the ground.

Front Location. The tow hawk is parallel to the ground..
Old 12-17-2014, 04:39 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dlparsons
Does it just screw into a pre-threaded hole or did you have to do more to install? Did the front facia have to come off?
Just screws in ... Very simple.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:52 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Thanks shockwave!
Post up some pics of the bad boy. Did your dealer move off list price at all?

Maybe a forum vendor could do a basement bottom price gp on these as i can imagine there will be plenty wanting these.
I got mine at dealer cost $61.50 plus tax... A lot better then the $130 I paid for the CTS-V one which won't fit but is much thicker. List price as I said was $102.50.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:53 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome info! thank you!! Just contacted my dealer for a price. Love that there's a place to store it in the trunk, I just hope the convertible has the same little storage spot in what passes for a trunk in that :-)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:12 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

A lot better then the $130 I paid for the CTS-V one which won't fit but is much thicker. List price as I said was $102.50.
When my V broke down on the way home from first buying it, I discovered a tow hook didn't come WITH the car.
In other words, when the car broke down there wasn't any easy way to get it on a tow truck and to the dealer to get repaired.
Yup, STRANDED in the middle of the night with a dead new car.

After calling the dealer, he sent out a tower to bring me in.
Unfortunately, he didn't have a hook (which was when I discovered I needed one in the first place).
The guy told me there are many different hooks for many different cars and a tow truck can't have all of them available....something I couldn't argue with.
Eventually, thru a lot of jacking and half the towers in the area helping, the car made it onto the truck.

The next day, with my blood pressure still in the stratosphere, I called Cadillac Service and tore a strip off them for being so short-sighted and penny-pinching for not putting a 2 dollar item in the trunk of every V they sell.
Consequently, I received a tow hook overnight via Fedex and about 538 apologies.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
When my V broke down on the way home from first buying it, I discovered a tow hook didn't come WITH the car.
In other words, when the car broke down there wasn't any easy way to get it on a tow truck and to the dealer to get repaired.

Unfortunately, he didn't have a hook (which was when I discovered I needed one in the first place).
The guy told me there are many different hooks for many different cars and a tow truck can't have all of them available....something I couldn't argue with.
Eventually, thru a lot of jacking and half the towers in the area helping, the car made it onto the truck.

The next day, with my blood pressure still in the stratosphere, I called Cadillac Service and tore a strip off them for being so short-sighted and penny-pinching for not putting a 2 dollar item in the trunk of every V they sell.
Consequently, I received a tow hook overnight via Fedex and about 538 apologies.
I think it's BS that the most track capable production GM car ever doesn't come with it.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sunsalem

I had a similar experience when I hit a pot hole and tore the side wall on my CTS-V. Looked all through the trunk no luck. Fortunate for me the tow truck had one that fit but due to its length, it got bent up but still worked. The next day I too complained to the Caddy dealer but got only apologies but no free hook. Had to order it at list price. Our VW Golf comes with it free but no American cars I am aware of. Its a requirement in Europe to include it so I hear...
Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
I think it's BS that the most track capable production GM car ever doesn't come with it.
Would it shock you (and others) to know that those aren't technically tow hook locations anyway? They're actually cargo tie-down attachments for shipping overseas. That they can be used as tow hooks is just an added bonus.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:50 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Has nothing to do with its track capability or any track use. I certainly wouldn't use this type of tow hook to tow it to a track Its purpose is solely to prevent damage to the under side of a vehicle when it is being pulled onto a flatbed truck. Otherwise they would have to hook chains to the suspension and the user manual warns you about doing this. Imagine what a set of chains would do to pretty expensive Z07 CF spoiler ...
Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Has nothing to do with its track capability or any track use. I certainly wouldn't use this type of tow hook to tow it to a track Its purpose is solely to prevent damage to the under side of a vehicle when it is being pulled onto a flatbed truck. Otherwise they would have to hook chains to the suspension and the user manual warns you about doing this. Imagine what a set of chains would do to pretty expensive Z07 CF spoiler ...
? Yes obviously you don't use this tow hook to tow the car to the track.

Most race clubs require/strongly encourage you to have tow hooks on the car while you're racing on the track. This is to give the staff an easy place to attach a strap to so they can tow you back to the pits should you decide to go "off-roading" in your Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Tow Hook for the Z06

Old 12-17-2014, 07:45 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

? Yes obviously you don't use this tow hook to tow the car to the track.

Most race clubs require/strongly encourage you to have tow hooks on the car while you're racing on the track. This is to give the staff an easy place to attach a strap to so they can tow you back to the pits should you decide to go "off-roading" in your Corvette.
Agreed .... My point was that it is not a Z06 track use issue. The tow hook can also serve as protection hardware should it be required under a normal use breakdown. All my posts concerning the tow hook were designed to educate folks on its availability and the fact that it shouldn't be assumed to be included as standard equipment. Tow hooks appear to be supplied with many European designed vehicles such as BMW's, Audi's, VW's and perhaps some other vehicles. They don't appear to be included on GM vehicles such as Cadillac's and Corvette's. Perhaps others can chime in on whether one is included in their daily driver.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

My understanding of the tow hook use is that it will get you out of a sand dune on the track when the tow guy can't see or feel an attachment point under the car. That way the hook doesn't latch on to a random component under the car, like a fuel line.

It is not to be used for towing per se, but to get the car out of a tough spot so a proper tow can be done.

Thanks for posting the part # sir!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Would it shock you (and others) to know that those aren't technically tow hook locations anyway? They're actually cargo tie-down attachments for shipping overseas. That they can be used as tow hooks is just an added bonus.
Really? That's interesting. Thanks for the info. And as long as they pull me out of a sand trap without damaging things, then they are good in my book

Quick Reply: Tow Hook for the Z06