C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

200 miles and 1 tank of gas later

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:50 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 200 miles and 1 tank of gas later

WOW.

I have no other Corvettes to compare this against, but it's really good.

Engine and exhaust are ear to ear grin inducing. Excellent ergonomics. Incredibly comfortable, I could easily daily drive this thing if we didn't have ****** weather in the NE.

Keep discovering things that are awesome.
  • Gas light comes on, NAV tells you where the nearest or cheapest gas is by Brand. Convenience exit feature works perfectly.
  • HUD displays NAV as well in tour mode.
  • Audio is good, perhaps a little boomy.
  • The stealth mode exhaust is a great feature, and really let's you hear the supercharger without attracting as much attention.

Nits
  • Slight rattling noise when hitting a big bump. It's behind my head somewhere, but I haven't pin pointed yet. I think it's the roof latch.
  • Have a fluidy sound at startup. Goes away once warmed.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You often have to adjust the fasteners and spacers under the hatch, same as the base car if you have that hatch sound. Check in the c7 general forum.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:03 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

cool. thanks for the tip
Old 12-19-2014, 06:17 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

It could be the passenger seat belt, the sound travels toward the rear, had it in my C7
Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by george vee
It could be the passenger seat belt, the sound travels toward the rear, had it in my C7
This.
Make sure the passenger belt is in the loop on the seat. I just had my car in for service and they pulled it out for some reason. On the way home it was rattling.
OP...glad you are enjoying the car!
S.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:24 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4EVA
WOW.

I have no other Corvettes to compare this against, but it's really good.

Engine and exhaust are ear to ear grin inducing. Excellent ergonomics. Incredibly comfortable, I could easily daily drive this thing if we didn't have ****** weather in the NE.

Keep discovering things that are awesome.
  • Gas light comes on, NAV tells you where the nearest or cheapest gas is by Brand. Convenience exit feature works perfectly.
  • HUD displays NAV as well in tour mode.
  • Audio is good, perhaps a little boomy.
  • The stealth mode exhaust is a great feature, and really let's you hear the supercharger without attracting as much attention.

Nits
  • Slight rattling noise when hitting a big bump. It's behind my head somewhere, but I haven't pin pointed yet. I think it's the roof latch.
  • Have a fluidy sound at startup. Goes away once warmed.
"Slight rattling noise when hitting a big bump. It's behind my head somewhere, but I haven't pin pointed yet. I think it's the roof latch."

I think you are correct about the roof latch. My C7 did the same thing after about 20k miles. It also happened to my C6's. I reported it to GM recently.

I fixed it by removing the top, loosening the small Allen lock screw (almost removing it) and tightening the threaded latch hook 1 turn.

This cured the problem.

What was weird is I couldn’t locate the sound by myself and swore it was coming from the hatch. But once I had someone drive the car while I was in the hatch, I realized the sound was actually right by my ear at near head level the whole time.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

*Have a fluidy sound at startup. Goes away once warmed.
That sound is the oil in the dry sump tank. It's normal. Z51s do this too and there's a tech document on it. And as you noted, it goes away once warmed up.

Enjoy!!!

This is from the sticky in General. Lots of good info:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=Corvette

Last edited by xp800; 12-19-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

In some cases you won't even need to use any tools/adjust any screws (if it is actually roof related and not seat belt that is).
It could even be as simple as just lightly greasing ANY spot where metal prongs/latches are touching other surfaces (especially metal on metal).
I've seen cases of someone using just a light coat of silicone spray and completely eliminating any/all roof latch related noises.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
It could be the passenger seat belt.
LOL, I think most of the cars I have bought in the last 20 years have had a rattle where seat belts attach at the roof line, and it doesn't matter the make of car either.

Also, I know for an absolute fact I have NEVER had a car where the belt retracts properly after unbuckling....drives me frickin' crazy when I try to close a door with the belt sticking out of the car.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:52 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

pretty sure it's the roof. It started soon after I just undid and redid the latch.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

pretty sure it's the roof. It started soon after I just undid and redid the latch.
Definitely try a quick greasing of all metal points of the roof that touch before attempting anything else, could possibly solve it.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

WOW.
[*]Have a fluidy sound at startup. Goes away once warmed.[/LIST]
it could be this.

Originally Posted by xp800
That sound is the oil in the dry sump tank. It's normal. Z51s do this too and there's a tech document on it. And as you noted, it goes away once warmed up.

Enjoy!!!

This is from the sticky in General. Lots of good info:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=Corvette
Or it could be this.

While I am not 100% sure. Thats probably an air pocket in the cooling system, maybe even in the heater core if the sound seems to be coming from the dashboard.. You should get that taken care of by the dealer. if not the dexcool will coagulate and clump up in the heater core over time and block it up.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 PM
TeamOGI
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found than staying hard on the throttle and cranking up the stereo replaces all rattles and annoying sounds with the beautiful symphony of a supercharged V8 inter-mixed with some pounding R.E.M. In a few years, after the grin I have every time I get in my new ZO6 becomes stuck to my face (like the Joker) I will take some down time and locate that rattle and use your fixes. Right now I think I'd rather be driving!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Which seats did you go with, GT or Comp? You mentioned comfort, so I'm really curious which ones!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
it could be this.

Or it could be this.

While I am not 100% sure. Thats probably an air pocket in the cooling system, maybe even in the heater core if the sound seems to be coming from the dashboard.. You should get that taken care of by the dealer. if not the dexcool will coagulate and clump up in the heater core over time and block it up.
Based on my personal experience in my Z51 with the same oil system as the Z, and the information from professionals in the link I provided, it's the sump tank:

"Some customers may comment on a noise similar to running water from the dry sump oil tank when the engine is cold and started. This is a normal sound of oil returning to the tank."

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2333
Old 12-23-2014, 07:10 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shayneusmc
Which seats did you go with, GT or Comp? You mentioned comfort, so I'm really curious which ones!
GT seats. Will get racing seats for track days.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:01 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
This.
Make sure the passenger belt is in the loop on the seat. I just had my car in for service and they pulled it out for some reason. On the way home it was rattling.
OP...glad you are enjoying the car!
S.
Page 3-11 in the owner's manual. Says the clip is only for use with small adults or older children not using booster seats. Are you vertically challenged?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Page 3-11 in the owner's manual. Says the clip is only for use with small adults or older children not using booster seats. Are you vertically challenged?
I'm 6'3". And I seldom driver from the passenger seat. How about you?
If the belt is not in the guide when there is no passenger it will rattle against the trim. Obviously, if somebody is in the seat the belt is buckled and this will not happen.
S.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:39 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Re. booming audio; there was a post on fixing this sometime back. Try a search (C7 or Z).

Get notified of new replies

To 200 miles and 1 tank of gas later

Quick Reply: 200 miles and 1 tank of gas later