C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Order a 2015 ECU while you can!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:55 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Order a 2015 ECU while you can!

Will be doing some tuning on buds new Z. Rather no use his ....
Betcha GM start installing some sort of tamper film on ECU/connectors?
Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 AM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I honestly don't believe having a separate ECU will do anything to help you keep your warranty. If your car blows up on the track or anyplace else and you put the stock one back, there is no data to contribute to the problem, so GM will void your warranty because I would imagine they are smart enough to figure this out. If I am missing something, please enlighten me, but when I considered this with my 2008 Z06 each tuner that I mentioned this to, gave very vague answers regarding this being a loophole. My sense was they know it will be easy for GM to build a case against you if you replace the ECU, have a problem and then put back the original one.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

"just figure it out" not sure how that would be possible unless you were blabbing it all over the internet! LOL
Old 12-21-2014, 10:36 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
"just figure it out" not sure how that would be possible unless you were blabbing it all over the internet! LOL
Well...even an idiot can figure out that if you had a catastrophic failure on a motor, then go into the ECU to pull codes and there is NOTHING in there, that the ECU was swapped out.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist or a computer hacker to connect those dots...
Old 12-21-2014, 11:07 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Well...even an idiot can figure out that if you had a catastrophic failure on a motor, then go into the ECU to pull codes and there is NOTHING in there, that the ECU was swapped out.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist or a computer hacker to connect those dots...

So are you saying that if you pop a head gasket or bend a rod or etc... that there is a code for that? Do you have any tuning experience?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

I get what your trying to say....there would be evidence of a misfire code. Just because there would be no misfire codes is not conclusive enough to say whether the ecu was swapped. Seen plenty of rods tossed threw blow and no codes were saved.

Last edited by NICK YOSKIN; 12-21-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

GM has already won this battle. The car has a 4G hotspot for a reason.

The ECU isn't the only place that data is stored in the car.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:32 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
I get what your trying to say....there would be evidence of a misfire code. Just because there would be no misfire codes is not conclusive enough to say whether the ecu was swapped. Seen plenty of rods tossed threw blow and no codes were saved.
No...you don't get it...

There will be NO codes...NO DATA (engine temps, RPM's, throttle position, etc.), zip, nothing, NADA...when you plug that new ECU in, there is nothing stored in it.

Sure...IF the engine will run you could get something stored into the memory, but in the case of catastrophic engine failure you are screwed.

My C4 ECU stores the last 5 minutes of running...I'm sure the new ECU's store MUCH more than that.

P.S. And do you think that OnStar system is only for your emergencies? When time stamps in the codes don't match up...they start digging deeper. And they hide stuff in places ALL OVER the car...in different (unrelated) modules.

And, last but not least, what you want to do is considered FRAUD. I'm sure GM lawyers would love to get their hands on that information...

Last edited by 1991Z07; 12-21-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:54 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Bottom line - tamper and be prepared to fight but it's you against GM - a huge Corp. Will you win?? you'll go broke trying though
Old 12-21-2014, 12:14 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

It astounds me how many will go through such steps to defraud a company. What you are proposing is illegal.

Want to tweak the ECU? Know the risks and play the game.

Want full warranty? Stock is the way to go.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:25 PM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So if there is a power loss to the computer, it saves the data now? I know in my c6 and every other car I own, once I pull the battery cable, everything is gone.

It would seem to me that swapping the ECM and then saying that the battery as pulled at some point because you were installing something electrical would be a completely acceptable answer.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I don't get it.....if you break your car then pay to fix it.

wtf is wrong with people today????
Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

it's people that try and defraud that screw people over that has made if difficult for those with legitimate problems.

Those with modifications that have a legitimate issue NOT RELATED to the modifications get turned away because of someone trying to get a free repair/fix.

It's unfortunate that just because a car is modified a car manufacturer will claim the modifications cause the fault (even when it obviously did not).
Old 12-21-2014, 12:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
So if there is a power loss to the computer, it saves the data now? I know in my c6 and every other car I own, once I pull the battery cable, everything is gone.

It would seem to me that swapping the ECM and then saying that the battery as pulled at some point because you were installing something electrical would be a completely acceptable answer.
I don't think pulling a cable off the battery clears everything, no more than hitting the delete button your computer removes all traces from your hard drive, or unplugging it from the wall outlet.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:18 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

When time stamps in the codes don't match red FRAUD. I'm sure GM lawyers would love to get their hands on that information...
Ding. If you want to mod your car from stock, that is great. BUT ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES for your action as it is NOT GM's responsibility any more.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

If you want to play then you should be prepared to pay
Old 12-21-2014, 01:35 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whitehooptie

If you think the ECU is the ONLY place they are storing data now, you are only fooling yourself...

And if you don't think that GM have some guys on staff tasked with scouring forums JUST LIKE THIS looking for this kind of ammunition, you are crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To Order a 2015 ECU while you can!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

If you think the ECU is the ONLY place they are storing data now, you are only fooling yourself...

And if you don't think that GM have some guys on staff tasked with scouring forums JUST LIKE THIS looking for this kind of ammunition, you are crazy.
Id love to know what kind of data they are sending back with the built in cell connection.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:58 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

I don't get it.......if GM misrepresents what the car can accomplish, and requires a warranty voiding tune.....you get to pay to fix it

Wtf is wrong with people today?
Old 12-21-2014, 02:04 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

That's debateable.....for if they do have staff scouring this forum, they should step up, and answer too:

1. VERY significant orange peel paint.
2.misaligned body panels.
3. An ECU that requires a warranty voiding tune.
4. Serious questions on whether this car can be run for more than 15 min @ greater than 70 degree temps. (distinctly different than #3.)

Quick Reply: Order a 2015 ECU while you can!