C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Why is the C7 Z06 so Polarizing???
I bought a Z because it's the best performance value on the market
38.30%
I'm buying a performance car, but not a Z, because it's not fast enough
6.38%
I'm buying a performance car, but not a Z, because it's not engineered and/or built well
6.81%
I'm planning to buy a Z when the time is right
40.43%
I don't plan to buy a Z or any other performance car now
8.09%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Default POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???

I've been a member of Rennlist, Range Rovers.net, MBWorld, Luxury4Play and a few other forums a lot longer than I've been here, and it strikes me that there is a level of hostility among one another regarding the Z06 launch that I haven't seen manifested on other sites. I get and respect that some feel the new Z just doesn't meet the straight line speed quotient, but wonder if it's something more than that??

Lots of members on the other forums have visited lately and gone back to describe the animosity displayed here.

Obviously, this poll can't possibly capture every sentiment, but it might be interesting to get an objective viewpoint from different sides. I know this is asking a lot, and I am certainly guilty at times of getting pithy, but please try to stay civil and reasonable with your comments.

I can't help but wonder what the Corvette team at GM is thinking when they view this forum? Perhaps we can provide some thoughts, frustrations, musings, appreciation, etc. regarding the new Z, and what we want to see as the platform evolves.

What do you say, can we take the fire suits off for a minute and play nice...under the auspices of wanting the best possible vette that GM can produce...whether this generation or the next??

PS - Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

The C7 Z06 is not polarizing. In fact, many people had very high expectations and hopes, as well as desire, for the car. The media and GM set the fantastic stage, dropping hints about the performance, releasing the higher-than-ZR1 hp/tq ratings, telling us about how it should have ZR1 performance at "if you can afford a C6Z, you can afford a C7Z" pricing.

Needless to say, all this sounded like a dream car, to most. Even those who have straddled the fence about buying a Chevy, or any American sportscar. On paper, it was supposed to be epic. We all seemed to believe it would be wiping up McLarens, Vipers, ZR1s, etc...

Many of the early C7Z fans began to discredit the C6Z and ZR1 owners, saying their cars were obsolete and that the C7Z would beat them in all categories. At that point, there was no reason to doubt those claims, as GM and the magazines echoed these statements.

Then the performance data began to trickle out. The failed Nurburgring visit, with wrecked photos. The sub-130 mph trap speeds that people had assumed would be higher (being told it was faster than the ZR1). Those began to raise eyebrows. The early dyno numbers looked promising, however. Then the racing videos, albeit only limited examples, surfaced. This caused a lot of panic, and disappointment. C6Z, ZR1, and Viper owners that had been taunted for the last six months found a reason to respond in confidence.

This upset the C7Z fanboys, who began making up excuses about ECUs, heat soak, and conspiracies. Then when they ran out of excuses, they began to make subjective or opinionated statements, and then began to make personal attacks on character, towards those who had concerns about the C7Z performance.

You see, it wasn't polarizing. It is simply not living up to the hype. Some people have a hard time accepting this. Some people enjoy teasing those defensive C7Z fans, to get a rise out of them.

Look, Nspec and I never intended for this drama to unfold. Had the Viper lost, the video would have still been shown. We both assumed the C7Z would win those races, having heard all the hype - and believing it ourselves. But, some of you didn't like the outcome, so you attacked us for the results.

FYI, I will still end up buying a C7Z. It will be tracked, raced, driven, whatever I want to do with it. I still think it is a great car, and I only like American cars. Try not to take things so serious.

Tony
Old 12-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
The C7 Z06 is not polarizing. In fact, many people had very high expectations and hopes, as well as desire, for the car. The media and GM set the fantastic stage, dropping hints about the performance, releasing the higher-than-ZR1 hp/tq ratings, telling us about how it should have ZR1 performance at "if you can afford a C6Z, you can afford a C7Z" pricing.

Needless to say, all this sounded like a dream car, to most. Even those who have straddled the fence about buying a Chevy, or any American sportscar. On paper, it was supposed to be epic. We all seemed to believe it would be wiping up McLarens, Vipers, ZR1s, etc...

Many of the early C7Z fans began to discredit the C6Z and ZR1 owners, saying their cars were obsolete and that the C7Z would beat them in all categories. At that point, there was no reason to doubt those claims, as GM and the magazines echoed these statements.

Then the performance data began to trickle out. The failed Nurburgring visit, with wrecked photos. The sub-130 mph trap speeds that people had assumed (being told it was faster than the ZR1). Those began to raise eyebrows. The early dyno numbers looked promising, however. Then the racing videos, albeit only limited examples, surfaced. This caused a lot of panic, and disappointment. C6Z, ZR1, and Viper owners that had been taunted for the last six months found a reason to respond in confidence.

This upset the C7Z fanboys, who began making up excuses about ECUs, heat soak, and conspiracies. Then when they ran out of excuses, they began to make subjective or opinionated statements, and then began to make personal attacks on character, towards those who had concerns about the C7Z performance.

You see, it wasn't polarizing. It is simply not living up to the hype. Some people have a hard time accepting this. Some people enjoy teasing those defensive C7Z fans, to get a rise out of them.

Look, Nspec and I never intended for this drama to unfold. Had the Viper lost, the video would have still been shown. We both assumed the C7Z would win those races, having heard all the hype - and believing it ourselves. But, some of you didn't like the outcome, so you attacked us for the results.

FYI, I will still end up buying a C7Z. It will be tracked, raced, driven, whatever I want to do with it. I still think it is a great car, and I only like American cars. Try not to take things so serious.

Tony
Tony,

I know we disagree on the street racing issue, but I very much respect your knowledge of and passion for high performance cars. Indeed, a love of hi-po cars is something we both can agree on. Happy holidays!

Jeff
Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 PM
c6z07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it's getting walked by every car imaginable
Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by c6z07
Because it's getting walked by every car imaginable
Wow. Just wow.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

People don't know the difference between better overall and better at everything. There are numerous REAL tests where the C7 Z06 performs better than the ZR1 but folks want complete domination. Not going to happen for any one pair of cars.

Even a Prius has performance specifications or test results that are better than that of the Z06. No one is claiming that a Prius is a better performance car. However, when it's close, as it is with the ZR1 and Viper all the straw men come out.

Trolling is evidence that the C7 Z06 can hang with the best. Wait till we get a C7 ZR1. All trolls will move to that forum.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
People don't know the difference between better overall and better at everything. There are numerous REAL tests where the C7 Z06 performs better than the ZR1 but folks want complete domination. Not going to happen for any one pair of cars.

Even a Prius has performance specifications or test results that are better than that of the Z06. No one is claiming that a Prius is a better performance car. However, when it's close, as it is with the ZR1 and Viper all the straw men come out.

Trolling is evidence that the C7 Z06 can hang with the best. Wait till we get a C7 ZR1. All trolls will move to that forum.
Just look at the latest issue of Car&Driver. The new Z06 beats every Vette they have ever tested in all the major categories including
1/4mile, 0-60, braking, handling, and roadholding. This is the only legit
apples-to-apples test I've seen so far. So I don't think the car is polarizing at all.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:17 PM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 763 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Just look at the latest issue of Car&Driver. The new Z06 beats every Vette they have ever tested in all the major categories including
apples-to-apples test I've seen so far. So I don't think the car is polarizing at all.
Seriously? Magazine racing?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:18 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
This is why people believed it would dominate the ZR1. It hasn't. What about 1/2-mile, standing 1 mile, 60-140, and Nurburgring time? There are many performance metrics to consider, not just what magazines talk about. 0-60 is a worthless metric, based solely on traction or driver ability for manual cars. Just an example.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:23 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
Seriously? Magazine racing?

Well then I guess this type of info isn't worth didlly squat...
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2014, 10:40 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

This is why people believed it would dominate the ZR1. It hasn't. What about 1/2-mile, standing 1 mile, 60-140, and Nurburgring time? There are many performance metrics to consider, not just what magazines talk about. 0-60 is a worthless metric, based solely on traction or driver ability for manual cars. Just an example.
Tell me any metric you think it's important and I'll find it in a magazine. Except perhaps illegal racing, which can get their legal department fired up or innocent motorists killed. Why are you trying to pick metrics that support your case aka engage in data mining?

0-60 is important, far from the most important metric, but relevant. Some races start on the grid from 0 don't they? Drag racing starts from 0 doesn't it? Why is traction not important? Do you not care if you start so slow from a stop the cars behind you will honk at you? Race car drivers spend a day, F1 teams used to spend an entire engine on qualifying. All of that is null if you get passed from 0 by everyone else.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Then the performance data began to trickle out. The failed Nurburgring visit, with wrecked photos. The sub-130 mph trap speeds that people had assumed would be higher (being told it was faster than the ZR1). Those began to raise eyebrows. The early dyno numbers looked promising, however. Then the racing videos, albeit only limited examples, surfaced. This caused a lot of panic, and disappointment. C6Z, ZR1, and Viper owners that had been taunted for the last six months found a reason to respond in confidence.

Tony
I agree with some of this GM did taunt this car as "Epic" so far it hasn't lived up to it, But more testing needs to be done for fair comparisons. As far as C6's being compared to C7's that is a joke. The only comparison made between a ZR1 and a Z06 will be numbers not aesthetics, interiors or electronics. Anyone who spends time in a C7 will fully understand this.
The C7 is hands down the best Vette yet and I owned 4 C6's including a 09 ZR1.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

pole does not include an option for 'too many soft compromises made'.

- SC
- convertible
- no DCT
- heavier
- too much focus on infotainment

and on an unrelated note, i have yet to warm to its aesthetics.

still haven't formed a final opinion, but a P car is out in front at the moment.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I think the OP's title is quite appropriate. Look at this first page, 12 posts into it and already folks are already positing and defending their positions vociferously. Tells me the C7Z06 is VERY polarizing. The WHY may never be truly understood.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
pole does not include an option for 'too many soft compromises made'.

- SC
- convertible
- no DCT
- heavier
- too much focus on infotainment

and on an unrelated note, i have yet to warm to its aesthetics.

still haven't formed a final opinion, but a P car is out in front at the moment.
I'd also take either a new 991 GT3 or Turbo S but the pricepoint on those is so much higer than my 81k Z... and Porsche's PCM and latest dash infotainment display is also heavy in features. I actually like it (on my Macan) a bit more than my C7.

Btt... the Stingray and fhe Z06 are both worth their entry level pricepoints. Add some key options to fit your needs and they're still a great value- performance and amenities with a step up in the quality department too.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I am going to answer as dryly as possible. There is no intent to attack anyone else's personal choice or purchase.

These are my gripes and ultimately why this will be probably be the first new Z06 I will not purchase.

Design- Polarizing and in your face. Lots of nice touches like the new hatch and aggressive coke bottle effect to the sides. Beautiful lights and hood too. But too many outlandish elements abound. Japanese/Camaro/Transfromers are not on my list of design cues I want on a Corvette. Those fangs in front - The tacked on "Spats", the narrow front bumper. The Carbon flash paint applied on every accent panel. Also Truly hate that iconic legendary rear styling was jettisoned for a familial Chevy look out back - apparently even the next gen Volt will be looking more like the new C7.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/20/n...-regen-levels/

Weight/Supercharger - The Z06 Ethos has been Lightest and fastest of all Corvettes with a higher performing Naturally Aspirated engine. Both of those are gone. The approx. 400 lbs gained is shocking. I think many on here would have chosen a higher performing NA engine even with slightly less HP. A slight weight gain would have been acceptable as the C6 gained 80lbs over the C5 variant. But at almost 5X that amount added abandons the original ethos and performance benefits to this model. Plus as someone who likes to track their car on a road course on occasion eating through brakes, tires and other consumables at a higher rate is a big no no for my needs.

Hype, Hyperbole, Lack of results - Tadge calling C6 "Obsolete" is classless. People bought hundreds of thousands of these cars. It's not an iPhone OS update. This was a bad way to kick off the 7th generation. A real lack of understanding of your core buyers.

Crashing at the Ring and then not posting times of either the Base C7 or the replacement Blue Z06 that actually completed it's runs stinks of failure. If the C7 Z06 is truly the "Fastest most track Capable Corvette ever" the 'Ring times should be posted as that has been the Z06 benchmark for the C5 and C6 versions as well as the C6ZR1. Being faster around Milford is not the same as Nurburgring which is an industry benchmark. A lower top speed than a C6 Z06 is another black eye. Car has 145 HP and should easily punch through 200MPH like the new CTS V with the same engine supposedly will do along with the 1000 lb heavier Charger Hellcat.

Running into issue with Motor trends testing both with Probst and regular staff acceleration runs. Now a growing list of the C7 Z ******* at higher speeds against everything from a Viper to a C6Z and even to a lowly Pedal bicycle (who knew those could even hit triple digits).

Multiple threads about poor QC occurrences on this "World Class" car Paint, panel alignment loose leather on seats are not helping either.

Last edited by Hirohawa; 12-22-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GM should have said we're going to give you a really good car at a really good price but don't expect total domination like the C5Z06 and ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???

Old 12-22-2014, 11:16 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I am going to answer as dryly as possible. There is no intent to attack anyone else's personal choice or purchase.

These are my gripes and ultimately why this will be probably be the first new Z06 I will not purchase.

Design- Polarizing and in your face. Lots of nice touches like the new hatch and aggressive coke bottle effect to the sides. Beautiful lights and hood too. But too many outlandish elements abound. Japanese/Camaro/Transfromers are not on my list of design cues I want on a Corvette. Those fangs in front - The tacked on "Spats", the narrow front bumper. The Carbon flash paint applied on every accent panel. Also Truly hate that iconic legendary rear styling was jettisoned for a familial Chevy look out back - apparently even the next gen Volt will be looking more like the new C7.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/20/n...-regen-levels/

Weight/Supercharger - The Z06 Ethos has been Lightest and fastest of all Corvettes with a higher performing Naturally Aspirated engine. Both of those are gone. The approx. 400 lbs gained is shocking. I think many on here would have chosen a higher performing NA engine even with slightly less HP. A slight weight gain would have been acceptable as the C6 gained 80lbs over the C5 variant. But at almost 5X that amount added abandons the original ethos and performance benefits to this model. Plus as someone who likes to track their car on a road course on occasion eating through brakes, tires and other consumables at a higher rate is a big no no for my needs.

Hype, Hyperbole, Lack of results - Tadge calling C6 "Obsolete" is classless. People bought hundreds of thousands of these cars. It's not an iPhone OS update. This was a bad way to kick off the 7th generation. A real lack of understanding of your core buyers.

Crashing at the Ring and then not posting times of either the Base C7 or the replacement Blue Z06 that actually completed it's runs stinks of failure. If the C7 Z06 is truly the "Fastest most track Capable Corvette ever" the 'Ring times should be posted as that has been the Z06 benchmark for the C5 and C6 versions as well as the C6ZR1. Being faster around Milford is not the same as Nurburgring which is an industry benchmark. A lower top speed than a C6 Z06 is another black eye. Car has 145 HP and should easily punch through 200MPH like the new CTS V with the same engine supposedly will do along with the 1000 lb heavier Charger Hellcat.

Running into issue with Motor trends testing both with Probst and regular staff acceleration runs. Now a growing list of the C7 Z ******* at higher speeds against everything from a Viper to a C6Z and even to a lowly Pedal bicycle (who knew those could even hit triple digits).

Multiple threads about poor QC occurrences on this "World Class" car Paint, panel alignment loose leather on seats are not helping either.
Some objective points, some subjective...

First, the Design. Definitely subjective. By now one is either accustomed to it and accepted it or will forever despise it. For me, I'm glad they changed it... much better looking and improved. Plus the rear redesign has been beaten to death & beyond, so in short if one still wants the older/previous look then buy a used C6, period.

Next, the aspirated Powerplant and its inherent intangibles including weight. Well in short, we saw GM's R&D answer on this.... so it is what it is. I agree on the weight gain... too bad they couldn't keep it at least under 3400. But this didn't/won't stop buyers, including me.

Hype, etc.... polar opinions, conspiracies, propaganda, hearsay, realword runs, road test mishaps, and social media. And this forum. The new Z will please many... but will be also frowned upon by others. Enough said.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:17 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
GM should have said we're going to give you a really good car at a really good price but don't expect total domination like the C5Z06 and ZR1.
c5 z06
Old 12-22-2014, 11:19 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

regarding nineball's post, i wouldn't say that a wrecked ring car is necessarily telling of anything. IIRC, there weren't ZR1 and Z06 ring times out for a while after production for prior gens... they wrecked one test car and i'm guessing they didn't have the proper backup car. i expect that in the real world, bean counters are limiting what the engineers can spend on making ring records, and probably the were also there in large part for development. i'm just speculating tho, i no hard data to back those speculations.

and i still don't think enough real world data is out to make a firm judgment as to the car's performance. things are definitely looking inauspicious, but i'm still not convinced it's a one lap car. i'm also not convinced the other way... however, a lot can be said for making the car's potential more accessible. i expect it will do this well.

why is the C7Z so polarizing? i think it's because the C5Zs and C6Zs have built a very loyal / interested following and the C7Z seems to be going in a somewhat different direction (bada$$ GT as opposed to light weight few compromises sports car).

Last edited by nitrojunky; 12-22-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???