C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

An old timer's 2 cents on the ZO6 bashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Doc New
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An old timer's 2 cents on the ZO6 bashing

To introduce myself: I’m a retired scientist, a new member to this forum, but I’ve monitored the very entertaining banter on this site for many years… in fact, ever since my first Corvette, a 1985 C4-Z51. And although I’m certainly not the one most qualified to comment on all of the recent bemoaning over GM’s latest miraculous, I’ll repeat, miraculous piece of engineering known as the C7 Zo6… here goes anyway.

I don’t understand those who are low-rating this fabulous car over what you consider to be recent disappointing results in straight line acceleration compared against the competition. Why are you so obsessed with straight line acceleration? One thing I can claim as far as qualifications for this post is that, being 64 years old, I’ve lived through all 7 Corvette generations. I remember them all, including the old days of the C2s and C3s when the only thing the Corvette had to offer in terms of performance was straight line acceleration, and even that was mediocre against some of the muscle cars of the day. Back in those days, everybody bashed the Corvette because of its poor handling characteristics on the road courses where it couldn’t even begin to hang with the likes of the European exotics from Porsche and Ferrari. GM changed all of that when they introduced the C4, which was when I finally became interested enough in the car to buy one. Most of you young guns know little of the days of fuel rationing in the’70s when the stock Corvette was thought of as a joke in terms of performance, and owners were forced to chop and modify just to avoid being thumped in contests from red light to red light, and even worse treatment on a road course. The point I wish to make with all of this: the Zo6 was never, ever conceived of, nor designed to be a dragster! What it was conceived and designed to be is a pure bred race car for the track that would be affordable and very livable with on public roads day to day… basically an affordable, street legal race car. All of you that are alarmed over ¼-mile track numbers and drag contest spankings from the latest Viper, I have to conclude that you really don’t quite understand what the Zo6 is really all about. Only 25 years ago, it was inconceivable that a car with the performance characteristics of the Z retailing for less than 100k, turning out better than 20 mpg on the highway, and looking like a true exotic, was even possible to mass produce much less be available to the every-day driver. The spectacular performance characteristics of the current Z are the fruits from considerable investment by GM in research and development by its scientists (and no I’m not, nor have I ever been one of them), engineers, and Corvette race teams over the past couple of decades. And now, after GM has made available to you their phenomenal crowning achievement, you whine over 0.3 sec and 5 mph in trap time? Shame on you! Get over it!

With all due respect to the Viper, all of you Z owners who insist on relieving your testosterone push down at the ¼-mile track, I suggest that instead you save up your track fees, buy yourself a good high performance driving course if you haven’t already, and then take care of business with the snake down at the nearest public road race course. I promise you, you will be the one who does the spanking then; and if you aren’t, it won’t be because of the car. Why am I so sure of this? Let me ask you (including Viper owners), who is it that has dominated the GT class in racing venues like the American Le Mans series and others over the past 20 years? I’ll give you a hint: it wasn’t the Dodge Viper. All of the technology and track information gained from those championships by the Corvette racing teams went into the Zo6 to produce a car that was born in the crucibles of grand prix endurance racing for the road course, not the drag strip.

On a lighter note, personally I really don’t give a rat’s flying dingaling whether the Z can edge out a Viper or even a 3-year old on his Western Flyer tricycle (great post Rizzo1), especially in a straight line contest. There’s always going to be somebody that’s faster no matter the venue. And anyway, it’s good for competition to toss the Dodgey guys a win once in a while. Gives ‘em a false sense of security. Hey, the main thing that I’m happy about is that GM, Dodge, and Ford have continued to deliver such amazing, affordable performance machines during times that hardly anyone 15 years ago would have believed. We should all be grateful that, not one, but several are still available here in America instead of fretting over a particular model that has, for the time being, fallen insignificantly, insignificantly short of our expectations in some performance category for which it was never intended to excel to start with. You know, the old adage of “you get what you pay for” is not even appropriate for the Zo6 and the Viper. With these cars, I really feel that GM and Dodge have given us much more than what we pay for, especially relative to other high performance auto producers, and that’s worth a lot of hoorah in my book.

Have a great holiday season, enjoy your cars, God bless all, and please, let’s be safe out there.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc New
To introduce myself: I’m a retired scientist, a new member to this forum, but I’ve monitored the very entertaining banter on this site for many years… in fact, ever since my first Corvette, a 1985 C4-Z51. And although I’m certainly not the one most qualified to comment on all of the recent bemoaning over GM’s latest miraculous, I’ll repeat, miraculous piece of engineering known as the C7 Zo6… here goes anyway.

I don’t understand those who are low-rating this fabulous car over what you consider to be recent disappointing results in straight line acceleration compared against the competition. Why are you so obsessed with straight line acceleration? One thing I can claim as far as qualifications for this post is that, being 64 years old, I’ve lived through all 7 Corvette generations. I remember them all, including the old days of the C2s and C3s when the only thing the Corvette had to offer in terms of performance was straight line acceleration, and even that was mediocre against some of the muscle cars of the day. Back in those days, everybody bashed the Corvette because of its poor handling characteristics on the road courses where it couldn’t even begin to hang with the likes of the European exotics from Porsche and Ferrari. GM changed all of that when they introduced the C4, which was when I finally became interested enough in the car to buy one. Most of you young guns know little of the days of fuel rationing in the’70s when the stock Corvette was thought of as a joke in terms of performance, and owners were forced to chop and modify just to avoid being thumped in contests from red light to red light, and even worse treatment on a road course. The point I wish to make with all of this: the Zo6 was never, ever conceived of, nor designed to be a dragster! What it was conceived and designed to be is a pure bred race car for the track that would be affordable and very livable with on public roads day to day… basically an affordable, street legal race car. All of you that are alarmed over ¼-mile track numbers and drag contest spankings from the latest Viper, I have to conclude that you really don’t quite understand what the Zo6 is really all about. Only 25 years ago, it was inconceivable that a car with the performance characteristics of the Z retailing for less than 100k, turning out better than 20 mpg on the highway, and looking like a true exotic, was even possible to mass produce much less be available to the every-day driver. The spectacular performance characteristics of the current Z are the fruits from considerable investment by GM in research and development by its scientists (and no I’m not, nor have I ever been one of them), engineers, and Corvette race teams over the past couple of decades. And now, after GM has made available to you their phenomenal crowning achievement, you whine over 0.3 sec and 5 mph in trap time? Shame on you! Get over it!

With all due respect to the Viper, all of you Z owners who insist on relieving your testosterone push down at the ¼-mile track, I suggest that instead you save up your track fees, buy yourself a good high performance driving course if you haven’t already, and then take care of business with the snake down at the nearest public road race course. I promise you, you will be the one who does the spanking then; and if you aren’t, it won’t be because of the car. Why am I so sure of this? Let me ask you (including Viper owners), who is it that has dominated the GT class in racing venues like the American Le Mans series and others over the past 20 years? I’ll give you a hint: it wasn’t the Dodge Viper. All of the technology and track information gained from those championships by the Corvette racing teams went into the Zo6 to produce a car that was born in the crucibles of grand prix endurance racing for the road course, not the drag strip.

On a lighter note, personally I really don’t give a rat’s flying dingaling whether the Z can edge out a Viper or even a 3-year old on his Western Flyer tricycle (great post Rizzo1), especially in a straight line contest. There’s always going to be somebody that’s faster no matter the venue. And anyway, it’s good for competition to toss the Dodgey guys a win once in a while. Gives ‘em a false sense of security. Hey, the main thing that I’m happy about is that GM, Dodge, and Ford have continued to deliver such amazing, affordable performance machines during times that hardly anyone 15 years ago would have believed. We should all be grateful that, not one, but several are still available here in America instead of fretting over a particular model that has, for the time being, fallen insignificantly, insignificantly short of our expectations in some performance category for which it was never intended to excel to start with. You know, the old adage of “you get what you pay for” is not even appropriate for the Zo6 and the Viper. With these cars, I really feel that GM and Dodge have given us much more than what we pay for, especially relative to other high performance auto producers, and that’s worth a lot of hoorah in my book.

Have a great holiday season, enjoy your cars, God bless all, and please, let’s be safe out there.
It may not be a dragster, you are right, but it hardly destroys the competition. A Porsche 991 GT3, which is only 30k-40k more expensive than a comparable Z06 with Z07 package laps Willow Springs 3 seconds quicker than the ZR1 and Viper TA 2.0 both of which we know lap that track better than a Z06. GT3 has a mere 475hp engine, does not even come anywhere close to the Z06 in terms of power to weight ratio, does not have those massive 335 tires in rear and 285s in front (I think it has 305 and 265), yet it destroys all these high hp cars.

So tell me again, don't we have every right to be surprised that the so called American super car that competes with million dollar cars cannot even beat the good old GT3? These two cars are hardly worlds apart from a price perspective and we all know Porsche's interior is world's apart. Have you ever touched the Alcantra seats or the roof? It is not like the suede in C7!

The point is, GM hyped this car so much that when people did not get a car that really did destroy the competition that cost several times in price in every aspect, they have every right to be upset. And you are right, this car is a huge improvement and indeed it is a bargain, but not at the level GM made it out to be!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:16 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Sorry you know I like Porsches but a 991 GT3 is not an old Porsche.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:20 PM
tracyda
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good post, but I thinking missing the one key point that has caused all the concerns. The Viper TA that badly outran the car is also designed for the track (road course) and is claimed to have less HP and TQ and more downforce, virtually the same gearing, but is 200lbs lighter.

So, the big concern (and a valid one) is the car losing power or over hyped? If losing power, is it due to heat or a tune that is sensing heat? Either way, really bad because on a track, the heat will be so much higher and the outside temps will be much higher in the summer. Or is it simply over stated, then it causes doubt on everything else that has been stated.

So, I don't think we should be misled again into somehow thinking the roll racings were not relevant nor shocking based upon the hype and expectations. I will say though, should not have been surprising based upon the sad fact of the big weight gain which you would never want for a track focused car.

To your point though, the real test will be a 20-30min test on a road course and unfortunately, no magazine will do that, only real people in real cars. From the data we have so far, I would be much less confident that you seem to be, particularly vs a Viper that is track proven to run all day with "seemingly" less technology, HP, TQ and importantly, less weight.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Great first post. Let us forget about the Viper or ZR1, instead let us compare apples to apples. The C6 Z06 (the predecessor to the C7 Z06), has a higher top speed and reaches 0-150mph in 17.3 seconds while the C7 Z06 8 speed auto takes 17.8 seconds. Should speed be compromised in a newer model? I have owned the C5 Z06 and the C6 Z06, with each gen getting faster. The C7 Z06 takes a step back in that category when it should dominate in ALL categories, no exceptions. We still don't know if the C7 Z06 can run the same amount of laps as the C6 Z06, with out needing to take a break. The track gurus here on the forum will be testing it out soon once winter is done, or their baby has been broken in, and I am looking forward to the results.

That is my only concern, other than that, I think this car is freaking amazing and I will still be buying the new C7 Z.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Great post, Doc New.

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays to you and your loved ones as well.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:33 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

GT3 is <3100lbs. Lighter weight trumps horsepower in road racing. Not really a fair comparison for the 3500lb C7Z.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:37 PM
hifi875
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Porsche is 30-40k more. Hello. That's 30-40% more $$. Smh
Old 12-24-2014, 03:38 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Well written 'Old Timer. You have a lot to say, don't be bashful.
Since I have a few years on you, I'll just call you the kid and wish you back soon.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I, too, like Doc New's perspective & comments.

Any issues with the new LT4/C7 Z06 will get sorted-out in due time.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:41 PM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
GT3 is <3100lbs. Lighter weight trumps horsepower in road racing. Not really a fair comparison for the 3500lb C7Z.
It is 3246 lbs not 3100. Don't make **** up.

Watch :
Old 12-24-2014, 03:42 PM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by hifi875
Correct, but didn't they say this car can kill other cars that are worth 2 or 3 times more? I just don't see that happening. Frankly, it cannot even kill it's first and most natural competitor, Viper, that costs just as much as it does!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:56 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to the forum Doc New and good post! Let me apologize in advance for idiots like DerStig and the others that post just to stir the pot and argue with anyone who appreciates the new ZO6. Hope the few negative people don't keep you from posting in the future.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I have seen very little bashing of the Z06, why is stating it lost a race bashing? Why is stating it needs work on the ECU bashing? Why is stating you don't like the Paint on some of the ones you have seen bashing? Several here don't mind pointing out some of the flaws (Even current owners), does that make them a troll or basher? If so that shows the ignorance and/or arrogance of some on this forum.

What really surprises me is those that will not accept that anything could possibly be wrong with this car, in several people's eyes it just isn't possible, it is not allowed.

No car is perfect in every way, this is a car forum, people come here to talk about their cars, others come to do research before they consider buying. Just because they haven't bought one yet doesn't mean they are a troll either.

To me the Elitist out number the supposed bashers/trolls and it is they who drive the ongoing argumentative posts. Most every supposed troll/basher has said how great the car is, almost every one has mentioned they plan to buy one. The Elitist don't read that part of their posts, they only read the one thing they wrote that could spur up an argument. Then they go to work....

I am a prospective buyer, I wouldn't be here otherwise, but I am not naive enough to think no other car can do certain things better.

The Z06 is an extraordinary car, some need to stop getting so defensive and taking things personally, that would certainly make this forum more enjoyable.

Just my 2 Cents
Old 12-24-2014, 04:01 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by hifi875
Yeah, like how the word "only" is always used.

Usually comments like that come from people who lease their cars or should I say "rent". Aka a large majority of bimmer owners.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Divexxtreme
Pro

Originally Posted by DerStig
A Porsche 991 GT3, which is only 30k-40k more expensive than a comparable Z06 with Z07 package laps Willow Springs 3 seconds quicker than the ZR1 and Viper TA 2.0 both of which we know lap that track better than a Z06. GT3 has a mere 475hp engine, does not even come anywhere close to the Z06 in terms of power to weight ratio, does not have those massive 335 tires in rear and 285s in front (I think it has 305 and 265), yet it destroys all these high hp cars.

FYI; no Gen V Viper ('13 or newer) has ever been officially tested at Willow Springs, and the TA 2.0 hasn't been released yet. Here are the Willow Springs track records:

1. Porsche 918 Spyder 1:23.54 '13 887 / 1640 Randy Pobst
2. Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 1:26.00 '08 608 / 1536 Dominik Farnbacher
3. Porsche 911 GT3 1:27.28 '13 476 / 1425 Randy Pobst
4. Porsche 911 (991) 50 Years Edition 1:28.93 '13 400 / 1410 Randy Pobst
5. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 1:29.69 '08 647 / 1530
6. Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 1:29.72 '13 507 / 1702 Randy Pobst
Old 12-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Divexxtreme
Pro

The point I wish to make with all of this: the Zo6 was never, ever conceived of, nor designed to be a dragster! What it was conceived and designed to be is a pure bred race car for the track that would be affordable and very livable with on public roads day to day… basically an affordable, street legal race car. All of you that are alarmed over ¼-mile track numbers and drag contest spankings from the latest Viper, I have to conclude that you really don’t quite understand what the Zo6 is really all about.

With all due respect to the Viper, all of you Z owners who insist on relieving your testosterone push down at the ¼-mile track, I suggest that instead you save up your track fees, buy yourself a good high performance driving course if you haven’t already, and then take care of business with the snake down at the nearest public road race course. I promise you, you will be the one who does the spanking then; and if you aren’t, it won’t be because of the car.
The point I wish to make with all of this: the Viper was never, ever conceived of, nor designed to be a dragster! What it was conceived and designed to be is a pure bred race car for the track....a street legal race car. From your post, I have to conclude that you really don’t quite understand what the Viper is really all about.

If you actually knew anything about the Viper and it's track prowess, that it that it currently holds 9 production car lap records at various tracks around the country, your post might actually contain some semblance of credibility. As a true car enthusiast who researches and enjoys many other brands and cars, the ignorance some of you display about other models is mind-boggling to me, and honestly it's this ignorance that makes it very difficult for me to be polite to some of you guys. Here's an idea; do some research on other cars before posting inaccurate opinions.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-24-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To An old timer's 2 cents on the ZO6 bashing

Old 12-24-2014, 04:17 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
I have seen very little bashing of the Z06, why is stating it lost a race bashing? Why is stating it needs work on the ECU bashing? Why is stating you don't like the Paint on some of the ones you have seen bashing? Several here don't mind pointing out some of the flaws (Even current owners), does that make them a troll or basher? If so that shows the ignorance and/or arrogance of some on this forum.

What really surprises me is those that will not accept that anything could possibly be wrong with this car, in several people's eyes it just isn't possible, it is not allowed.

No car is perfect in every way, this is a car forum, people come here to talk about their cars, others come to do research before they consider buying. Just because they haven't bought one yet doesn't mean they are a troll either.

To me the Elitist out number the supposed bashers/trolls and it is they who drive the ongoing argumentative posts. Most every supposed troll/basher has said how great the car is, almost every one has mentioned they plan to buy one. The Elitist don't read that part of their posts, they only read the one thing they wrote that could spur up an argument. Then they go to work....

I am a prospective buyer, I wouldn't be here otherwise, but I am not naive enough to think no other car can do certain things better.

The Z06 is an extraordinary car, some need to stop getting so defensive and taking things personally, that would certainly make this forum more enjoyable.

Just my 2 Cents
What I see are people blowing things way out of proportion. My pops taught me cooler heads prevail. What we see are people taking a sample size of one, and declaring it as the law of everything. Does it suck the viper beat the vette? Sure. But how many road courses allow average speeds in the 130+ mph range where the viper starts to edge forward? Also, there are a plethora of people who go on to say that the entire model run is somehow a dismal failure because of this one race. This position to me is false. Both the vette and the viper would decimate a 458, but that doesn't mean the 458 is a failure. Speaking if ferraris and your comment, I'm killing some time in ashburn (picking someone up from dulles) and I stopped by the Ferrari dealership to take a look. Even they have orange peel.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:18 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The Z06 dyno'ed 50rwhp over the ZR1. It should trap higher. Simple as that. No bashing, simple observation.

The Z06 might not be a drag car, but Z06s have shown up at 1/4, 1/2 and 1mile events for years. I sure hope people are allowed to use their own cars the way they want to. Also, someone please inform GM that their Z06 isn't a drag car because they tested and released 1/4mile times prior to launching the car....

Wether you love or hate the Z06, something doesn't add up. It should accelerate faster than what we've seen so far. The rest of the performances seem to be spot on. The Z06 has better lateral acceleration and braking than any car ever tested!
Old 12-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
What I see are people blowing things way out of proportion. My pops taught me cooler heads prevail. What we see are people taking a sample size of one, and declaring it as the law of everything. Does it suck the viper beat the vette? Sure. But how many road courses allow average speeds in the 130+ mph range where the viper starts to edge forward? Also, there are a plethora of people who go on to say that the entire model run is somehow a dismal failure because of this one race. This position to me is false. Both the vette and the viper would decimate a 458, but that doesn't mean the 458 is a failure. Speaking if ferraris and your comment, I'm killing some time in ashburn (picking someone up from dulles) and I stopped by the Ferrari dealership to take a look. Even they have orange peel.
Great point, I guess it is both sides, one side exaggerates some of the issues, the other won't accept that anything can be wrong.

Sometimes it feels like a political debate.

Quick Reply: An old timer's 2 cents on the ZO6 bashing