C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

891 miles-now engine is blown

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow what really blows especially since yours was a z06 hand built right??

surprised they even offered to try to repair it back together, BS especially with this new of a high end drivetrain, they need to take it back and find the failure.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Divexxtreme
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry to hear this happened, Lawdogg. These are the worst type of threads to stumble upon. I sincerely hope GM has your car back to new very soon.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Well bad news today! Last Friday I had a catastrophic failure of my engine in my 2015 Z06. I was out putting some more miles on the car to get ready for my track event at road atlanta Jan 10 and 11. While making a pull from 35 mph I accelerated and shifted short of redline and boom. Car began knocking. I pulled over and popped hood. Could hear a loud knock coming from # 6 cylinder area along with a serious grinding metal on metal sound coming from the supercharger area.

Had Gm roadside service come tow the car to the dealership. Beware gm will only pay for 25 miles. My dealer which is the closest corvette certified dealer was over 40 miles away. I had to pay the overage of $40 out of my pocket. I will be fighting with GM over this one.

Dealer called today and said there was indeed failure in #6 valve train. They were instructed not to tear into the engine because it needs to be evaluated by them.

They gave me two options.

1. Allow Gm to take apart the engine and patch repair it. This option would of kept my original numbers matching engine in the car.

2. Replace the engine as a whole. This was the best option in my opinion due that I track my cars alot. I dont want any more issues with this engine.

So dealer went ahead and notified GM to send another engine. Who knows how long this will take. I really fell bummed out with GM right now. Sure this is a first year car and I understand that. But this is not the first time I have had to do R&D for the big GM. Just last year I was the first private owner to track my C7 Z51. That car over heated on a November cool day down here at Road Atlanta. Both the Transmission (M7) and engine. I made a post here and notified the engineering dept through my dealer. No one even followed up or cared.

My biggest surprise of this situation is that GM wasn't surprised at all about this situation. Seems this has occurred before with the test fleet vehicles.

I come here and post to not to bash GM but to warn you fellow Corvette owners before you go out and tune or modify your cars. Sure this may of been a issue in just a few but there was alot of looking into my computer files and such to find any mods. Sure GM would love to not have to pay for this $23,999 engine.

I will keep this thread update. Please please trolls dont destroy this thread with useless comments.

Damn lawdog sorry to hear this..I think you made the right decision by getting a new engine..hope you're back mobile ASAP and great point and warning to others going with a tune.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:16 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

right decision made for sure !!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Kind of scary but fortunately still under warranty.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:37 PM
FLATOUTVIPER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst part will be non numbers matching. Although law dog doesn't care, someone later will.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:40 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Sorry to hear lawdogg...some really tough luck came your way.

. I had to pay the overage of $40 out of my pocket. I will be fighting with GM over this one.
I'm sure they will step up if you ask them to.

2. Replace the engine as a whole.
Would have been my choice too.

My biggest surprise of this situation is that GM wasn't surprised at all about this situation. Seems this has occurred before with the test fleet vehicles.
You would expect there to be some kabooms when testing a new powertrain.
There isn't any other way to finding the limits of its capabilities.
Do you know how many or when/where test fleet vehicles went sideways?

Originally Posted by occar
That sucks, but statistically a few engines are going to fail. What matters is how they handle it at this point.
Exactly.

FWIW, I had a problem with my CTS-V a couple of years ago.
I couldn't get satisfaction with the dealer and his local rep.
I went right to the Cadillac Forum (which GM monitors) and explained the situation.
High level Customer Service folks got in touch with me and resolved the situation immediately.
They made damn sure I was happy.
What I learned is if there is a problem at the local level, move up the food chain.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Steelvette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanx for posting-All eyes on the General-Totally made the correct call lawdogg149
Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

....Sure this may of been a issue in just a few but there was alot of looking into my computer files and such to find any mods. Sure GM would love to not have to pay for this $23,999 engine.
So sorry to hear about your problem. Please keep us posted.

Regarding GM parsing your computer data, I won't pretend to know their motivation, but it's important to understand that they can't diagnose the problem without ever bit of information available to them, including exactly what you were doing when the engine failed. There are many very good reasons to examine this data that have nothing to do with your warranty claim.

My very best wishes on a successful resolution of this matter for you!

/Don
Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I would study the lemon laws of your state; there is a chance that the time out of service, especially if you insist on repair to preserve matching numbers (not unreasonable) could trigger a right to rescind.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Well bad news today! Last Friday I had a catastrophic failure of my engine in my 2015 Z06. I was out putting some more miles on the car to get ready for my track event at road atlanta Jan 10 and 11. While making a pull from 35 mph I accelerated and shifted short of redline and boom. Car began knocking. I pulled over and popped hood. Could hear a loud knock coming from # 6 cylinder area along with a serious grinding metal on metal sound coming from the supercharger area.

Had Gm roadside service come tow the car to the dealership. Beware gm will only pay for 25 miles. My dealer which is the closest corvette certified dealer was over 40 miles away. I had to pay the overage of $40 out of my pocket. I will be fighting with GM over this one.

Dealer called today and said there was indeed failure in #6 valve train. They were instructed not to tear into the engine because it needs to be evaluated by them.

They gave me two options.

1. Allow Gm to take apart the engine and patch repair it. This option would of kept my original numbers matching engine in the car.

2. Replace the engine as a whole. This was the best option in my opinion due that I track my cars alot. I dont want any more issues with this engine.

So dealer went ahead and notified GM to send another engine. Who knows how long this will take. I really fell bummed out with GM right now. Sure this is a first year car and I understand that. But this is not the first time I have had to do R&D for the big GM. Just last year I was the first private owner to track my C7 Z51. That car over heated on a November cool day down here at Road Atlanta. Both the Transmission (M7) and engine. I made a post here and notified the engineering dept through my dealer. No one even followed up or cared.

I come here and post to not to bash GM but to warn you fellow Corvette owners before you go out and tune or modify your cars. Sure this may of been a issue in just a few but there was alot of looking into my computer files and such to find any mods. Sure GM would love to not have to pay for this $23,999 engine.

I will keep this thread update. Please please trolls dont destroy this thread with useless comments.
I had a brand new 2007 Escalade explode in my garage in 2006, it was 20 days old with 900miles, they offered me the same deal, I told them I wanted a brand new truck, they gave me a brand new truck that had to be built, they replaced the engine in between waiting for my new truck, and I even drove the replaced engine truck for 3 weeks until the replacement showed up, I would want a new car if it was me.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

I believe I was the first person to kill a differential in my 2003 Z in November 2002. [There were no posts of similar problems on this forum at the time, FYI] With 2150 miles on the car, I was at MIR hanging with Ranger hoping to match his *high elevens* ETs that he ran on OEM rubber. Sidestepped the clutch for a dry hop on the sticky stuff after the water burnout (to get remaining water out of the OEM Goodyear's treads) and KABOOM!

Flatbedded the car to dealer with track numbers still on the window. I had get tough with the zone rep who wanted me to pay for it, since I was "racing". I pointed out that GM said the car was supposed to do about 12.1 or so (I forget the advertised ET info a decade later now)....and how, pray tell, does GM know that? Perhaps because they "race them" at the dragstrip? I fought like hell and threw in some engineering metallurgy mumbo-jumbo (I'm a Mech. Engineer) and won. But GM wasn't happy, and told me that my drivetrain warranty was no longer going to be valid (except emissions/fuel/spark stuff). Everything else on the car would be covered (brakes, A/C, seat rock recalls, etc etc), but not the rotating stuff that makes power and sends it to the tires. I managed to not break anything else in the 10 years that I had that great car by never going back to my beloved MIR. <sniff>

And let's talk about break-in. Most people usually think "engine", but really guys, it's the drivetrain downstream of the flywheel that really needs to wear-in, mate, burnish, etc. Imagine the load on a transmission or ring&pinion tooth when you apply 650 ft lbs to it!! How does it NOT snap the dang tooth! Modern engines (modern materials and production technology) are pretty much bulletproof by the time they roll off the transporter, but they certainly loosen up, seat in, and make better power after 2000 "frisky" miles or so. And remember that the engines are “cold tested” and then a fueled run (natural gas) test for balancing, so they get plenty of mild abuse before the owner gets his foot on the gas pedal. Having said that, it's a stunning surprise to hear about lawdogg's engine failure, yet I have to think it's a freak thing. So c'mon guys....let's not start an Internet panic just yet. (How come I hear Winston Wolf saying something similar in my head? LOL.)

Last edited by Tracy; 12-30-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
I had a brand new 2007 Escalade explode in my garage in 2006, it was 20 days old with 900miles, they offered me the same deal, I told them I wanted a brand new truck, they gave me a brand new truck that had to be built, they replaced the engine in between waiting for my new truck, and I even drove the replaced engine truck for 3 weeks until the replacement showed up, I would want a new car if it was me.

Same here. I would not want to keep that car if this happened to me. If you ever have to sell it, you will lose a lot of value.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Originally Posted by hcvone
Wow, talk about quality customer service!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:10 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My condolences, Lawdogg. I'm putting a homepage article together for this. Thanks for the tip, shayneusmc.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow i'm really sorry to hear about your new Z. if it's completely stock like i think it is, then GM will have to get you a brand new motor covered under warranty.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:22 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe uncle Sam should have never bailed them out. They seem like the same GM to me from 10 years ago. Rebranding looks like it was only done on the surface, fundementally this company still cannot deliver quality at a level they are charging people at.

Get notified of new replies

To 891 miles-now engine is blown

Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to hear about this man. It blows, no pun intended. Glad your stock and GM is backing it up. Good thing stuff like this is posted as I was waiting for a tune from vengeance however I'm going to hold off for a while and see if your issue was a freak thing or if there is an valve train issue starting to show itself. Rather be stock until I'm confident in the powertrain's capabilities.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:35 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I think this also happened a year or so ago with a CTS V the owner bitched and GM gave him a new car? Or maybe it was a Stingray? Cant remember? Good luck and hope your back and running soon.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

That sucks man; these things happen. No need to further speculate. Good luck on a quick turn around.

Quick Reply: 891 miles-now engine is blown